Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Polarizers and Stitching  (Read 1656 times)

Peter McLennan

Polarizers and Stitching
« on: January 30, 2009, 01:28:42 am »

I'm thinking about a 67mm pola for my Nikon 16-85.  Even full wide, this lens produces good stitching source images.  If I use a polarizer am I likely to run into problems with stitching resulting from dramatic sky darkening across the frame?  I usually stitch with PSCS3 Photomerge.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Polarizers and Stitching
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 11:07:58 am »

Yes, at the widest settings in particular.

Using a fixed 24mm lens (on a full frame camera, which is the equivalent of your 16mm) I sometimes get wildly variable darkening over the width of the sky. It can look okay in a single image, sometimes. But I would hate to have to stitch a panoramic with a polarizer.

The polarizer effect is variable and depends on a lot of things, but you'll want to experiment before using it. That's not to say you shouldn't have one for this lens -- it's very useful for single images.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

francois

Polarizers and Stitching
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 11:33:18 am »

You'll need to be carefull if you want to use a polarizer on your camera for stitching. Even if the uneven darkening of the sky is not obvious on a single frame, it can become a major problem in the final image.

See the attached pano. I shot it with a polarizer and one can see the nasty effect it has on the sky. I forgot that I still had the polarizer on my camera (   ) . It was a quick 20 seconds, hand-held 5 or 6 photos pano... and I was already late!

Photoshop had absolutely no problem for stitching.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 11:34:20 am by francois »
Francois

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Polarizers and Stitching
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 11:38:47 am »

You can do it if you have plenty of overlap between frames that will give you the room to blend from the deeper blue towards the lighter sky.  

I have generally had better luck doing it with other tools besides CS3, but it looks like someone here has been successful with that too.

Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer
Pages: [1]   Go Up