Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How did you get your 5D Mark 2?  (Read 6918 times)

D. King

How did you get your 5D Mark 2?
« on: January 27, 2009, 03:04:11 pm »

I've been looking for one for a week now and no one has them.  I'm told they sell out in an hour or so when they come in.  Any special techniques you've used to get one?

DavidP

• papas.com
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 03:25:55 pm »

Paid in advance on my Calumet Card and waited a month.

cmburns

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 03:40:59 pm »

Subscribe to the appropriate RSS feed here.
http://www.nowinstock.net/

I snagged one from Adorama a couple of weeks ago when it showed up as in stock on that site. I had had one pre-ordered from before the official announcement, from a decent sized dealer that I have done a decent amount of biz with and still I was waiting. Cancelled it when the Adorama one came through.

Now if I could get the battery grip L-Plate from RRS i'd be all set.

Anthony R

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 04:17:31 pm »

I was on a pre-order list the third day they officially went on sale. Spent 3 months on that list to no avail. Called around small camera shops around the nation and got lucky one day with "I have one coming in any day now with no ones name on it yet". Happened to come in that day and I paid and had it shipped to me in 3 days. Might be an option for you.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 04:19:41 pm »

I bought mine from Bristol Cameras. Ordered online on Friday afternoon, arrived at 0730 Tuesday. Good price (for England) as well.

Probably not much help.

Jeremy

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 12:40:41 pm »

Purchase the package that includes the 24-105 L IS lens.
There seems to be many of those available.
I did, and now have the 24-105 lens for sale if anyone is interested.

D. King

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 04:39:06 pm »

I spoke to one of the sales reps at B&H and he told me they get shipments in on a regular basis but they sell out fast.  He suggested I call a couple of times a day to check.  I called yesterday and they had bodies but no kits.  I wanted a kit so I passed.  I called this morning and they had nothing.  I called a couple of hours later and they had the kits so I ordered one.

I'm a happy camper.

JDClements

• http://www.jdanielclements.com
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 05:55:49 pm »

Just order one from your local camera shop. Ask how many other people have one on order to get an idea where you sit on the list. I pre-ordered mine in October, and got it within one week of their arrival in Canada.

Jerry Clement

• http://www.jerryclement.ca
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 10:55:10 pm »

The guys at 'The Camera Store' in Calgary have a long list that they are filling for bodies only. However, they get kits (5D Mark 2's with 24/105's) in, that sit for sometime before being sold.

rvanr

• http://www.vanruitenbeek.com/
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 10:30:09 am »

I am playing a waiting game. The price in the UK has come down significantly from £2399 at the start to £1899 at play.com (it says "Usually dispatched within 10 days" on their website)

Anthony R

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 11:04:15 am »

They are also cropping up on the used market, some unused..

stever

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 01:06:28 pm »

just got an email from B&H that they are now accepting pre-orders

mbrost

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 04:12:13 pm »

Go to your local photo shop.  Canon at least for the initial few shipments was very fair about shipping the camera to all stores.  I put my name on a pre-order list (with deposite) about 10 days before the release, and I was number 5 on the list out of 10.  People with deposites get priority.  Number 4 could not come up with the balance and I got mine on the second shipment.  

Good Luck, I'm very happy with mine.

dseelig

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 11:39:48 pm »

I have had the same camera store for my canon gear for years as a result I got mine on there 1st shipment . Roberts Iamging in Induan . I would highly suggest you got one local or national store you order everything from. Establish a relationship with one salesman. Then you will not have this problem in the future. Jody at Roberts is great David

dkeyes

• http://
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 02:36:04 am »

Quote from: D. King
I've been looking for one for a week now and no one has them.  I'm told they sell out in an hour or so when they come in.  Any special techniques you've used to get one?

Kenmore Camera in the Seattle area http://www.kcamera.com/ has them in stock now.
I just bought one a few weeks ago from Badger Graphic in Wisconsin http://www.badgergraphic.com/
both are reliable and reputable dealers.

Doug

Piboy

• http://samwardphoto.com
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 09:51:53 am »

Went to local camera shop and got it in a week.  I think Canon has been good about supplying their traditional retailers. BTW, it has performed well in rather harsh Erie, PA winter conditions.  No lock up.
PiBoy
Sam W.
samwardphoto.com

mike.online

• http://mikedotonline.blogspot.com
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 11:19:45 pm »

my camera dealer emailed me when he got one... benefit of establishing a rapport with a good small shop.. (however, i ran out of funds... but that is another story)

Helen Oster Adorama Camera

• http://www.adorama.com
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 10:58:39 am »

Quote from: D. King

With high demand items, frequent delivery and dispatch times mean that items can come in one door of the warehouse, be packaged, and out of another door within a couple of hours, so real time inventory on the website is often not possible.
Unless the items actually hit the shelves, our computer system generates an automatic message in response to an order, indicating that it is out of stock.

Another possible scenario, is that you could see an in-stock indication, if a shipment was expected into the warehouse within the next 24 hours - but again, the systems we have, aren't currently set up to be able to handle this (although we are currently working on it), and our computer sends a standard message indicating that the item is back-ordered, by 7 - 10 days.

Finally, even with the website inventory, it is entirely possible that we could receive several dozen orders for a popular item such as this at the same time - by telephone or via our website; if we have 59 in stock but receive 60 orders, it isn't always going to be immediately obvious that one customer is going to be disappointed.

The most accurate indication is by speaking directly to a sales rep - but you are unable to get in touch with a rep regarding a particular item, you are always welcome to get in touch with me and I will check out the stock situation for you.

If you ever have any queries or concerns regarding an order or purchase from Adorama Camera - or AdoramaPix please don't hesitate to contact me directly: helen.oster@adoramacamera.com

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
www.adorama.com

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
www.adorama.com

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2009, 11:50:59 am »

Quote from: Jerry Clement
The guys at 'The Camera Store' in Calgary have a long list that they are filling for bodies only. However, they get kits (5D Mark 2's with 24/105's) in, that sit for sometime before being sold.

Talk to the manager and see if they'll split the kit. It makes them more money when they sell them seperately.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 12:23:27 pm »

I ordered one from eBay in UK in early January. I didn't get a shipping confirmation for two weeks, and was getting really frustrated. Eventually their delay tactics became transparent and it dawned on me they don't have it in stock, and neither does their supplier. Two weeks ago they claimed their supplier has it in stock. And they still didn't ship it - so I cancelled last week.

At least they claim the refund is on its way back.

Too bad, I was getting it for a nice price, 500 EUR less than in central Europe (I ordered when the GBP exchange rate was even more attractive than now).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up