Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Artist credentials  (Read 1659 times)

nanjeca

Artist credentials
« on: January 26, 2009, 01:51:30 pm »

Hi all

I’m not sure where this question belongs but I have seen question related to prints concerning “artist” questions here in the past. So, if this is OT in this forum, please forgive.

I am interested in starting to produce fine art large format prints for sale. I am wondering about a couple of fine points concerning image (marketing image, mine, not the photograph image).

When delivering a print to a client, should one always include an artist’s statement?

I also see some print services (forms houses) selling “certificate of authenticity” forms with actual holographic icons on them. Is there any value in sending this?

Should either or both of these this be physically attached to the print?  The matt? The backing?

What is the general feeling of the value of these or are they just gimmicks in today’s world??

mike

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography
Artist credentials
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 02:12:33 pm »

There are probably as many ways to do this as there will be responders to your message.  But I will tell you my experience.  At first I did not even sign or title my photographs as I felt it provided the cleanest look of the image in the frame.  Also my penmanship leaves a bit to be desired.  As I got to exhibit more people would als if I would sign the mat and provide a title of the image.  Recently I have been putting a 4x6 card on the back which includes the title and a description of the image or why I took it or what might be different about this image.  I also include the technical details like f stop, lens, camera, aperture, ISO setting, and shutter speed.  Finally I have a short bio or artists statement at the bottom part of the card and signature.  This is mounted on the back of the frames dust cover.  People like the description of the images and why I took it or whatever my short description is.  It seems to help with the sales but does add a bit of time getting ready for an exhibit.  One thing that it does help with though is that once you have accumulated a number of these image descriptions you have done a lot of the work for creating a book of your images through one of the on line companies, or a good gallery on your web site.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Artist credentials
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 06:03:46 pm »

Quote from: nanjeca
Hi all

I’m not sure where this question belongs but I have seen question related to prints concerning “artist” questions here in the past. So, if this is OT in this forum, please forgive.

I am interested in starting to produce fine art large format prints for sale. I am wondering about a couple of fine points concerning image (marketing image, mine, not the photograph image).

When delivering a print to a client, should one always include an artist’s statement?

I also see some print services (forms houses) selling “certificate of authenticity” forms with actual holographic icons on them. Is there any value in sending this?

Should either or both of these this be physically attached to the print?  The matt? The backing?

What is the general feeling of the value of these or are they just gimmicks in today’s world??

mike

Something can be a gimmick and still work to increase sales and please customers!

Peter

Tklimek

Artist credentials
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 08:57:49 pm »

Ha!  Funny this just came up.

I just finished my first draft of a card that will be included with my prints.  I based it mostly off of what Bill Atkinson provided in LLVJ #15 which I'm sure is dated and incomplete; but I figure it's a starting point.

Bill seemed to be quite adamant about providing information regarding the print that would pertain to it's longevity.

This is not yet carved in stone, but here is what I came up with:

C E R T I F I C A T E  O F  A U T H E N T I C I T Y

Thank you for purchasing a fine art print from Todd Klimek Photography.  

This is an original photograph by Todd Klimek and is from an open edition of signed and matted prints.  
This print was made in 2009 using an Epson Stylus Pro 4880 printer with Epson UltraChrome K3 inks with Vivid Magenta.

These facts pertain to your print and may also be important to conservation efforts for your art.

Edition:  Open      

Image Number:  ________

Actual Image Size:  ________________________________

Mat size/ Standard Frame size:  _____________________________

Type:   Color      B&W

Photo Location:  __________________________________________

Year printed:  2009

Printer:  Epson Stylus Pro 4880

Inkset:  Epson UltraChrome K3 with Vivid Magenta

Paper:  _______________________________________________

Mat quality:   Standard    Archival

Foamboard quality:   Standard       Archival

Thank you!

And then I sign next to the "Thank you"

I will be printing these out on 4x6 index cards and dropping them into the bagged and matted prints (on the backside).

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago

Pages: [1]   Go Up