Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom Putting Mac into Sleep Mode  (Read 4615 times)

BradSmith

Lightroom Putting Mac into Sleep Mode
« on: January 17, 2009, 09:46:21 pm »

Whenever I've exported slideshows (either jpg or pdf), my Mac is "put to sleep" every 10-30 seconds.   I awaken it, it keeps right on exporting the show, then goes to sleep again.   And again.   And again.  Eventually I end up with the slideshow.

I have a Power Mac G5, OS X 10.5.4, Dual 2.5GHz processors, 3.5Gb RAM.   I notice on Activity Monitor that the cpu usage is pegged at 95-100% during the processing/exporting and the temp of the 2 processors goes to about 160*F and 200*F respectively.  Fans are running over 3000 rpm when it reaches these high temps.   In my system log, I'm seeing an entry at the time it goes to sleep of.........

" Thermal Manager: Thermal Runaway Detected: System Will Sleep"

This hasn't happened at any other application.

Have any of you had any experiences like this?  
Thanks,
Brad
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 09:47:27 pm by skeedracer »

francois

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 07:04:58 am »

Your Mac is over-heating or thinks it over-heats. It goes to sleep to prevent heat related damages.

Open your Mac and check for dust that woud block airflow or non-functionnal fan. Other reasons might  defective temperature sensors or - if your Mac is equipped with a liquid cooling system - fluid leaks.

If you see no obvious reasons then try to reset the NVRAM/PRAM and restarrt in safe mode.

You could use better utilites than than Activity Monitor - Marcel Bresink's Hardware Monitor Lite or iSlayer iStat Pro widget (both are free).
Francois

BradSmith

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 02:18:22 pm »

Francois,
That is what I thought was happening.  It actually is the iSlayer widget that I'm using, not Activity Monitor.  Got my info from it re fan speeds and temp and activity.  

I'm curious if anyone else has had this same problem during slideshow exporting.  If any of you with Macs and the iSlayer widget wouldn't mind, what temps and fan speeds are you seeing on your processors during Export?  That information might help me if I have to take it in for repair.

francois

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 03:26:49 pm »

At home, I only have an old 2x2GHz G5 but I tried to export 50 photos (1Ds3 raw files. Both slideshow and web export). After 20 minutes, temperature were around 160F for both CPU. CPU usage was almost always around 95-100%. Fans were in the 300-550 rpm range with an occasional peak to 750 rpm. I used iStat Pro for these readings.

You 2x2.5GHz might run hotter than my old Mac.

See the screenshot below.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 03:27:43 pm by francois »
Francois

BradSmith

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 09:41:29 pm »

I've gone inside the tower, vacuumed wherever I could reach and used compressed air blasts also.  Relatively little dust.   No cooling liquid leaks.  I've crossed my fingers.

Well, today I was importing images, and when rendering about 50 of them, it started going to sleep again as temps got up to 160 or so on CPU A and 190 on CPU B.  CPU fan speeds ranged from 1200 to 3000 rpm.     UGH.  Seems like no one else is having this problem.  Looks like I may need to take this critter in for a full physical.  

Brad

Quote from: francois
At home, I only have an old 2x2GHz G5 but I tried to export 50 photos (1Ds3 raw files. Both slideshow and web export). After 20 minutes, temperature were around 160F for both CPU. CPU usage was almost always around 95-100%. Fans were in the 300-550 rpm range with an occasional peak to 750 rpm. I used iStat Pro for these readings.

You 2x2.5GHz might run hotter than my old Mac.

See the screenshot below.

francois

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 03:28:13 am »

Quote from: skeedracer
I've gone inside the tower, vacuumed wherever I could reach and used compressed air blasts also.  Relatively little dust.   No cooling liquid leaks.  I've crossed my fingers.

Well, today I was importing images, and when rendering about 50 of them, it started going to sleep again as temps got up to 160 or so on CPU A and 190 on CPU B.  CPU fan speeds ranged from 1200 to 3000 rpm.     UGH.  Seems like no one else is having this problem.  Looks like I may need to take this critter in for a full physical.  

Brad
I'm afraid that you're right, your G5 needs to be brought into an Apple store. If you absolutely need to work with your Mac, you could try to disable one processor.
Francois

Bartone

• http://bartonephotography.com
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 02:41:04 pm »

I've a friend who makes slide shows in his Mac  (iPhoto) and they ALWAYS put me to sleep!
;-)

bartone

francois

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 11:41:08 am »

Quote from: Bartone
I've a friend who makes slide shows in his Mac  (iPhoto) and they ALWAYS put me to sleep!
;-)

bartone
Must be your internal thermal sensor!  
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up