Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 400mm f/2.8 L IS purchasing question  (Read 3491 times)

reburns

• Ralph E Burns Photography
400mm f/2.8 L IS purchasing question
« on: January 16, 2009, 08:15:20 pm »

Hello,

I'm interested in buying a 400mm f/2.8L IS. Aren't we all! I am looking for credible information that this lens will be updated this spring.  I read one rumor regarding an updated model with new IS.

My choices are:
1. Buy a pristine used copy now & save some $, but watch potential resale nosedive if/when a new model arrives.
2. Wait    and get the latest model whenever it comes, and pay full retail.  I suppose resale nosedives once I open the box.

I read that the current model was introduced in 1999... ???

Thank you, Ralph

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 08:51:44 pm »

Quote from: reburns
Hello,

I'm interested in buying a 400mm f/2.8L IS. Aren't we all! I am looking for credible information that this lens will be updated this spring.  I read one rumor regarding an updated model with new IS.

My choices are:
1. Buy a pristine used copy now & save some $, but watch potential resale nosedive if/when a new model arrives.
2. Wait    and get the latest model whenever it comes, and pay full retail.  I suppose resale nosedives once I open the box.

I read that the current model was introduced in 1999... ???

Thank you, Ralph

September 1999 according to:

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/..._28lis_usm.html

It is the same dilemma that everyone faces when looking to buy a new computer, camera or (to a lesser degree, as they have a much longer model life) lens.

The only answer is to buy it when you need it.

reburns

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 09:41:35 pm »

Quote from: phila
The only answer is to buy it when you need it.
Oh... then I'd never buy it.  It's definitely a want, not a need; this is not my job!  I do have a fun project that will benefit this spring however, and I understand your point.  

Rumor link:  http://www.canonrumors.com/2008/11/new-lenses-spring-fall/  
Yes, we know rumors are just that.  I suppose I'm just turning this purchase around in my head a few more times!

Thanks for any input -       ........forget rumors & buy / or listen?          ....it's my soft rule to avoid "legacy" Canon lenses.

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 09:46:06 pm »

yes, there have been several rumours of the big white lenses being in the pipeline for an upgrade over at the Canonrumours website. But which ones and when is anyones guess. I have to admit there haven't been a great deal of new large L series lense produced in the last couple of years. The 800mm was a bit of a supprise I must say.

I suppose it comes down to when and how bad you need the 400 f2.8. If you need it "now" then option one might be the go.

I'm currently using the 400 f4 DO which has IS.

Paul Sumi

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 12:19:56 am »

Unless you're going to use this a LOT (sports, wildlife, etc), why not just rent one?  Depending on where you live, there may be local camera stores that rent or there are several Internet sources as well.

This also gives you a chance to find out if you can actually live with one as well.  I've had at least one occasion when a "want" turned into a "don't want" after I rented it for the weekend.

Paul
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 12:21:50 am by PaulS »

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 09:24:34 am »

Quote from: reburns
My choices are:

3 Wait for the old one's value to nosedive and then buy it.

reburns

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 11:18:26 am »

Nobody has their crystal ball?  I'm always impressed at how effective the manufacturers are at keeping development projects secret.

I think everyone has valuable suggestions, such as the note on rental.  I apparently found a rental business in my town that I never knew existed, who rents this lens for 1% MSRP per day.  So I can do some work, evaluate, and wait and see.

I also like the #3 option....

D White

• Don White
    • iStock
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 01:07:05 pm »

Last summer I upgraded my non IS 300f2.8L I had since 94, to the 400f2.8LIS. Although I do not use this lens much at all, (I have a 600f4L IS that gets much more use), it is a stunning lens. There is little room to improve this lens optically. What a II version may bring is just an upgrade of the IS system from 2 stops compensation to 4 stops---like the latest 800 release from Canon and Nikon's latest series of long lenses.
Dr D White DDS BSc

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 09:53:27 pm »

Why not a 100-400 IS? I have one that I purchased new about 6 years ago. It works great and I can carry it around. It's a lot of glass for $1,300.

Bud
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

reburns

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 10:38:04 am »

Hello,

I think you all have made good points here.  I'll do the try before you buy rental, and there will always be more for sale.  I was surprised at the final eBay price of the copy I was watching:  UV (2007), looked and stated pristine, including Wimberly sidekick:  $5150.

I use to own the 100-400, but sold it because I wanted a faster, sharper lens solution.  All crystal balls envision an updated model of that lens for this year.  Just like last year.  And the year before that.  I still want f/2.8, unless my rental experience shows me that I can't carry one.

Cheers, Ralph
Pages: [1]   Go Up