Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profoto 7B or Elinchrom Ranger Fast  (Read 4958 times)

Ed Taylor

Profoto 7B or Elinchrom Ranger Fast
« on: January 13, 2009, 05:34:03 pm »

Hi,

Doing a lot more location work these days and need to stop renting and purchase a good battery-powered kit. I've rented the 7B's frequently so I know they work. Don't know anything about the Elinchrom except that it's half the cost and a bit lighter, (lighter is better at 50+).

I'm also half considering the 600B due to the weight, but concerned about it's ability to keep up with bright sun. I could use two with a bi head...

Anybody out there with experience with either or both?

I should mention, my main gear is Dynalite.

Thanks!

Ed Taylor
APA/ASMP/EP
www.edtaylorphoto.com

Best Regards,

Ed Taylor
www.edtaylorphoto.com

Ed Taylor

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 09:04:14 pm »

Hi Nick,

You bring up a good point.

The Porty Lithium looks real attractive, and undoubtedly, the industry will probably move toward lithium in the future..

I'm hesitant to get the Hensel due to:

Elinchrom and Pro have a better choice of modifiers

Virtually no rental options if I need additional gear on a shoot

Not sure how strong their repair network is in the US.

Also, when I look at their items on B&H and see that it's a special order, I get that same feeling I did when I originally went with Bron, (many years ago), and had to wait 12 weeks for a repair on my digital shutter while SB/USA waited for a screw from SB/EU. Kind of itchy in the palms if you know what I mean.

Still, it's a great suggestion, and "probably" a great solution.

Problem is, no Hensel users ever weigh in with their opinions...

;-)

Thanks!

Best,

Ed Taylor
APA/ASMP/EP
Best Regards,

Ed Taylor
www.edtaylorphoto.com

Photostudent

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 01:13:09 am »

Quote from: Ed Taylor
Hi,

Doing a lot more location work these days and need to stop renting and purchase a good battery-powered kit. I've rented the 7B's frequently so I know they work. Don't know anything about the Elinchrom except that it's half the cost and a bit lighter, (lighter is better at 50+).

I'm also half considering the 600B due to the weight, but concerned about it's ability to keep up with bright sun. I could use two with a bi head...

Anybody out there with experience with either or both?

I should mention, my main gear is Dynalite.

Thanks!

Ed Taylor
APA/ASMP/EP
www.edtaylorphoto.com

I can add some points...from work displayed on your website

1) 7B-- good choice but slow flash duration and recycling time. would suggest B2 from Profoto...costly  

2) Elinchrom Ranger RX speed AS - good functionality ,cheaper,ok and delicate. (according to me only a father of a child can use it in all good manner)  , no hard feelings  to users.

cheers

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 04:04:06 am »

I use the Ranger AS Speed. Excellent piece of equipment. I was in doubt whether to get the Profoto B2 or the Ranger. The fact I already have many modifiers and mono's from Elinchrom plus it being about half the price of Profoto eventually tipped me over towards Elinchrom.

I have used my mono's for 5 years intens and not 1 single problem besides breaking off a carrying handle because I was a bit too brutal (a 100Euro repair for replacing the entire housing). Another thing that is really helpful, the support I get for Elinchrom is more than outstanding which might be different elsewhere.

I have not experienced Elinchrom being delicate but than again I do have children  I am also pretty anal about care for my equipment according to several friends (which I consider to be very sloppy ).

Ed Taylor

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 10:00:11 am »

2) Elinchrom Ranger RX speed AS - good functionality ,cheaper,ok and delicate. (according to me only a father of a child can use it in all good manner)  , no hard feelings  to users.

I have two sons, 20 and 15, so I guess I passed the test?

Point taken. Given that I am actually very good with my equipment, the Elinchrom is still a choice.

The skyports are an added bonus.

Do you have the B2 with the built-in PW?

If so, does it work reliably? I'm hoping to do away with things hanging off of the side of the pack.

Thanks for your input!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 10:00:33 am by Ed Taylor »
Best Regards,

Ed Taylor
www.edtaylorphoto.com

Chris Gahran

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 02:44:59 pm »

An assistant brought in a Hensel Porty to add to the mix of strobes in a studio session.  I was surprised to learn that the Hensel could not be used from A/C.  It had to sit in the corner and charge for a few hours before it could be fired up and I didn't use it.  I believe you had to buy and expensive adapter to use the pack with A/C.

I don't use portable power packs frequently but I would think the ability to plug in the pack and have it charge the battery while shooting would be a great advantage.  That way when you need to move away from A/C outlets the battery would be topped off.

Chris

Ed Taylor

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 06:03:39 pm »

Chris,

I didn't know that about the Hensel packs. I know the 7B uses an $1800 adapter so that you can power from mains.

Personally I think that's a little over the top. Seems that you should be able to plug in the charger and at least offset the amount energy remaining.
Best Regards,

Ed Taylor
www.edtaylorphoto.com

Photostudent

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 12:46:49 am »

i would suggest not to buy with built in PW, i dont complicate my units. they have launched some new radio units(same like skyport),, you should buy it seperatly. it will cost same.

second elinchrom is also good choice. accessories are far far cheaper than profoto. i think in USA they have strong sales and service network.

Quote from: Ed Taylor

I have two sons, 20 and 15, so I guess I passed the test?

Point taken. Given that I am actually very good with my equipment, the Elinchrom is still a choice.

The skyports are an added bonus.

Do you have the B2 with the built-in PW?

If so, does it work reliably? I'm hoping to do away with things hanging off of the side of the pack.

Thanks for your input!
Pages: [1]   Go Up