Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Observations on Sharpening 1ds vs 14n  (Read 2181 times)

Error on my sharpening statement

Observations on Sharpening 1ds vs 14n
« on: March 25, 2003, 11:25:22 am »

Most recently I made an error in a post I placed on this forum and I wanted to post the error.

I made the comment that the Capture One software allows you to process a 1ds raw file with no sharpening, by setting and threshold sliders to (0). However I have now learned that for at least Capture One, it does apply some form of USM to the image even with the above sliders turned off. If you download Capture One 1.1 RC2, you will now see a box under preferences where you can "turn off USM".

Based on this I have since installed the RC2 version and processed several tests. Net, there is a very very slight difference between images processed with the USM off both sharpening sliders set to 0 and images processed with the USM on and sharpening sliders set to 0. I really have to say its about 10 to 15 max.

I also commented on the Canon Viewing software, as Canon has two settings, level 0-5 and pattern, of which there are 5 separate settings. For all my work I have always set the level to 0 and pattern to Standard. I don't know if Canon is adding sharpening at level 0 or not, I have attempted to contact them but the people I spoke to didn't have a clue.

I still believe that its a standard process for any raw software to over-rule a tag, i.e. Capture One has its own sharpening settings and thus anything you have set in camera will be passed over. I also dont' believe that Canon is actually sharpening a raw file in camera, as that would be a first, but instead, the settings are seen as your defaults when you open the image.

This all started with Michael's article on the 14n vs. the 1ds and the "unsharpened" image comparisons he posted. I also realize that Michael was using a "preproduction" demo camera.

You can now go to the imagingresouces review and get another perfect example of the sharpness. The Silo shot. Yes the 14n has more useable resolution, its very clear, however in the same image you can see the problems that have resulted in this no low pass imager. The image has as much or more color aliasing (not chromatic aberation) than my 660 images with no filter. I had hoped to see just the oppositebe true, so Quantum Mechanic will have a good run. I have already used it on the silo shot and 90% of the color aliasing can be taken out, but with some detail loss.
By far the bigger problem is with the clumping. This is a term I am now using I had called it the blotchy effect. But the IR (imaging resources) image really shows it. Look at the pine needles and you see areas, where there is really no detail, but instead clumping of color. This is from noise reduction and noise reduction that is being applied wrong as the IR article states. You can also see luminace aliasing, or what I used to call interpolation aliasing in the edges of the needles, in effect too much resolution. You need some softness to smooth out diaginal lines, as no digital device can draw a true diagional line, instead its a series of jags.

Anyway, I wanted to correct my statement as I have since worked with the Capture ONe RC2.

Paul CAldwell

Paul Caldwell

Observations on Sharpening 1ds vs 14n
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2003, 11:28:52 am »

Jay Kelbey has posted that Michael's comparison is incorrect since he feels that the 1ds image is always sharpened since Canon has the AA filter.  I wanted to add the following

Jay, actually the 1ds image can be processed with no sharpening.

Canon File Viewer Utility

You have two settings for sharpening, both an amount of 0 - 5 and then the type of which there are 5.
I belive that if you select 0 then no sharpening is being applied. Zero means none.

Phase One Capture One,

You again have two settings. Amount and Threshold of which both can be set to 0 and 0% again Zero means none.
I have not really worked with the Adobe code.

Lets also agree that the term RAW means just that RAW, nothing being applied. There is no way I know of a camera to sharpen a raw file in camera. With the 1ds you can pick settings that will be your default options which the Canon Software will pick up and use. See my first paragraph. With the Capture One code, any in camera setting gets over ridden by the Capture One code.

This is a standard with all RAW processing.
Net, the image that Michael is showing with no sharpening is very possible indeed.
Paul Caldwell
pcaldwe@aristotle.ne
Pages: [1]   Go Up