Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshelter - selling and buying images  (Read 4121 times)

Anders P

Photoshelter - selling and buying images
« on: January 08, 2009, 03:57:22 pm »

Hi,

does anyone have experience in using Photoshelter (www.photoshelter.com) for selling and/or distributing images to clients? Or maybe somebody has experience in purchasing images from Photoshelter. I am trying to figure out the most convenient and effective way, from both my and my clients point of view, to sell my images online - so I am mainly looking for user experience on functionality.

I'd appreciate any thought and comments on the subject very much.

//Anders

gvaughn

• http://www.GregVaughn.com
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 09:28:24 am »

I started using PhotoShelter when Digital Railroad shut down at the end of October. I am impressed with the many features of PhotoShelter and the ease of use. It's working well as a way to provide clients with photos and let them download high resolution files.

I haven't had any sales yet from people who have just gone to PhotoShelter and searched as they would a regular stock agency/portal, but I haven't expected any since PS doesn't currently have any marketing promoting itself as a source for stock (or fine art/decor prints).

In addition to being an effective means of delivering photos to clients, it is also an online backup for image files. The owners assure everyone that the business is solid, generating a profit, and that they are in no danger of having to shut down like Digital Railroad did.

I have no hesitation about recommending PhotoShelter.

- Greg

www.GregVaughn.com
   PhotoShelter archive: http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/gregvaughn
- Greg
 w

Anders P

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 04:03:49 am »

Quote from: gvaughn
I started using PhotoShelter when Digital Railroad shut down at the end of October. I am impressed with the many features of PhotoShelter and the ease of use. It's working well as a way to provide clients with photos and let them download high resolution files.

I haven't had any sales yet from people who have just gone to PhotoShelter and searched as they would a regular stock agency/portal, but I haven't expected any since PS doesn't currently have any marketing promoting itself as a source for stock (or fine art/decor prints).

In addition to being an effective means of delivering photos to clients, it is also an online backup for image files. The owners assure everyone that the business is solid, generating a profit, and that they are in no danger of having to shut down like Digital Railroad did.

I have no hesitation about recommending PhotoShelter.

- Greg

www.GregVaughn.com
   PhotoShelter archive: http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/gregvaughn

Thank you for your comments. I have also heard from other photographers that the functionality is really good. Your experience of having no sales from searches in Photoshelter is also apparently a common problem. I guess the conclusion is using the gallery function as an extension to my website and market it to existing clients.

-Anders

gvaughn

• http://www.GregVaughn.com
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 02:39:26 pm »

Anders,

Since my previous post, I've discovered that I have made a sale, to Travel & Leisure Golf, of an image where the buyer independently searched the PhotoShelter archives. It looks like one or two other buyers have downloaded comps as a result of searches.

My hope is that as more and more PhotoShelter photographers promote the site to their clients, it will gain recognition as a source of quality stock photography, even if PS itself does little or no marketing to position itself as a portal. That seemed to be happening with Digital Railroad, and a lot of DRR photographers have moved to PhotoShelter.

- Greg

- Greg
 w
Pages: [1]   Go Up