Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Traveling with new Lock Bag Restrictions  (Read 6479 times)

Traveling with new Lock Bag Restrictions
« on: February 13, 2003, 08:29:30 am »

The new rules mean the end of checking camera equipment. Everything of value needs to be carried on. On my recent trip to Costa Rica the duffle bag containing my tripod and a utility bag with battery chargers and cables was open, rifled through and a few small items were taken. Was this security or newly emboldened baggage handlers? I don't know, but it's now a fact of life.

My solution is to use a Lowepro Pro Roller 1. This is the largest roller bag that is legal carryon size.

I'll have an artcile on this online in a few days.

Michael

Mike Shipman

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2003, 12:28:16 pm »

Traveling from Boise to Phoenix round trip a week ago, the TSA in Phoenix was x-raying checked luggage right near the check-in counter. I wondered if you had a locked bag/pelican case, etc. if they would inspect it right there then allow you to re-lock it, placing a "this bag inspected" sticker on it so it wouldn't be bothered with down the line. I wasn't in that situation, and didn't have time to ask. But it seems to me to be an option for those travelling with locked cases.

This thought was brought up by some pro photogs whose insurance requires equipment cases be locked in-transit. Also, what about other cases that may carry proprietary or "secret" documents and other equipment? There must be a way to have the case checked and marked by the TSA in these instances.

I guess I'll be doing some research.  :p

libertygh

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2003, 10:22:27 pm »

How are people adapting to the new "no locking" policy for luggage on airlines these days.  I have a Lowepro Photo trekker backpack but I not even sure I can get this past the restrictionsnow.  To save my middle age back, do the Lowepro or Tarmac pull rolling bags work better and do they pass the restrictions?

I prefer NOT to ship the equipment to my destination due to cost.  Also, how about your tripod?  My typical fashion is to use a duffel bag and stuff clothes, boots, etc and it worked fine.  But again if the fed cut the "ties" on my bag, and the tripod is missing I am screwed.

Any thoughts or recent experiences would be helpful.

G Hohner

francois

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2003, 09:29:43 am »

Size matters but weight does also!

Late last year we had to fly from Denver International Airport to Europe.
Upon checking our luggage, the clerk asked to weight my wife's carry-on.

It was smaller than the Lowepro Roller 1 Michael mentioned above, but it was one pound too heavy (14lbs)!
He told me that British Airways had a strict 13lbs limit for carry-on.
He also mentioned it was for security reason as a heavy bag could kill a passenger if the overhead bin latch failed. (What about the 255lbs beverage/food carts with sharp metallic angles?)

So we had to check her bag. I was carrying my gear in a medium daypack and I managed to hide it somewhat under my jacket... I had about 25lbs of photo gear with me!

In London Airport it was worse. A security officer was weighting each carry-on by hand just before we boarded for the next flight. Again I was lucky...

For travellers, I've found a link that my be useful:

http://www.frequentflyer.oag.com/traveller...arryonguide.asp

It looks like BA and some other companies have set a higher weight limit.

Francois
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up