Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Kiev part of Germany? On "Germany based Hartblei"  (Read 3073 times)

abcdefghi_rstuvwxyz

Is Kiev part of Germany? On "Germany based Hartblei"
« on: January 01, 2009, 12:55:21 pm »

In their announcement of the 45mm T/S lens, the producer is "Germany based Hartblei".
I know Kiev is no longer part of USSR, East Berlin is part of Germany, but I didn't know the world has changed that much.

Carsten W

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 02:33:13 pm »

Quote from: abcdefghi_rstuvwxyz
In their announcement of the 45mm T/S lens, the producer is "Germany based Hartblei".
I know Kiev is no longer part of USSR, East Berlin is part of Germany, but I didn't know the world has changed that much.

The story is more complicated than that. The Hartblei.com website is apparently no longer the real Hartblei website. There was some sort of parting of ways, and the old website is just used to peddle leftovers. The real Hartblei is now found here: http://www.hartblei.de/.
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

hs0zfe

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 08:06:43 pm »

To be honest, I fail to comprehend Phase's marketing plan. anyone needing the tilt & shift capabilities of a view camera can just buy a 4x5" monorail on eBay. Good ones often sell for a few hundred. Add a Rodenstock Grandagon 90 mm or a Super angulon 90 from Schneider plus bits and pieces and you have a complete and nice system for less than the price of their 80 mm.

A Japanese seller frequently advertizes the Fuji GX 680 as complete set (film back, camera and a lens) for ~ EUR 399 or a similar Dollar amount on eBay Germany and USA. Here you have some movement capability. Add the wide angle bellows and with luck you get a 65 mm or 80 mm WA lens, paying a 3-digit amount for the works.

These lenses are still the old Boris designs, right?

[font="Georgia"][/font]I can't see a market for such glass at these prices, sorry.

abcdefghi_rstuvwxyz

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 11:18:37 pm »

Quote from: hs0zfe
To be honest, I fail to comprehend Phase's marketing plan. anyone needing the tilt & shift capabilities of a view camera can just buy a 4x5" monorail on eBay. Good ones often sell for a few hundred. Add a Rodenstock Grandagon 90 mm or a Super angulon 90 from Schneider plus bits and pieces and you have a complete and nice system for less than the price of their 80 mm.

A Japanese seller frequently advertizes the Fuji GX 680 as complete set (film back, camera and a lens) for ~ EUR 399 or a similar Dollar amount on eBay Germany and USA. Here you have some movement capability. Add the wide angle bellows and with luck you get a 65 mm or 80 mm WA lens, paying a 3-digit amount for the works.

These lenses are still the old Boris designs, right?

[font="Georgia"][/font]I can't see a market for such glass at these prices, sorry.

4x5 is no longer a valid option in the digital era. My opinion. But Fuji 680 may still be a choice, although it's weight is too much to my taste. I can live with that if the price is what you quoted. A better yet solution could be Hasselblad flexbody or Acrbody.

I just found it quite amusing about the "Germany based Hartblei".  What's wrong to admit it's Kiev? If they really want to pretend a Germany company, they should abandon the "Hartblei". Choose something new that sounds like Germany.  Better yet, since it is to link with Mamiya, find a Japanese name and move the base to Harbor Bla-Bla.

Panopeeper

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 11:51:00 pm »

Quote from: abcdefghi_rstuvwxyz
I just found it quite amusing about the "Germany based Hartblei".  What's wrong to admit it's Kiev? If they really want to pretend a Germany company, they should abandon the "Hartblei".
Perhaps you can get rid of your hangup if you read the About page on the new Hartblei site:

http://www.hartblei.de/en/about.htm

Btw, "Hartblei" IS a German word; the meaning is "hard lead".
Gabor

abcdefghi_rstuvwxyz

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 12:32:45 am »

Quote from: Panopeeper
Perhaps you can get rid of your hangup if you read the About page on the new Hartblei site:

http://www.hartblei.de/en/about.htm

Btw, "Hartblei" IS a German word; the meaning is "hard lead".

To forget it's non-Germnay origin, it'd better find a new Germany name.
But that's not the point. The intention is funny.
Pages: [1]   Go Up