Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Joshua Tree NP  (Read 4105 times)

mikev1

Joshua Tree NP
« on: January 01, 2009, 01:20:10 am »

Hello all, I'll be heading to Palm Springs in March and want to spend some time in Joshua Tree NP.  I was there last year but wasn't really prepared and basically just drove through the park one day,  I didn't venture more than 100 feet from the vehicle.  I'm curious to know if there are any hikes that I should consider.  I also passed through Anzo-Borrego (sp?) and thought there could be some cool areas to photograph.

Any suggestions are welcome,  it's a great excuse to get away from the in-laws for a day or two  .

Regards,

Mike

erictoddjohnson

Joshua Tree NP
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 07:13:31 pm »

I took a similar drive through JT a couple of years ago, but did make time to hike to the 49 Palms Oasis.   If you're heading east on 62, just before you get to the town of Twenty-nine Palms, take a right on Canyon Road.  The trailhead is at the end of this road.  It is a fairly easy 3-mile (round trip) hike to the oasis.  I wouldn't say it's the best scenery in the park (at least not at high noon), but it is worth a look if you're going to be up at the north end.

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
Joshua Tree NP
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 09:58:23 pm »

If you're an adventurer try driving up Berdoo Canyon Rd to access the park.  Hard to say if it's still in one piece but worth looking into.  Berdoo Canyon runs north off of Dillion Rd, north of Indio.  The trail is really just a two track (4 wheel drive truck with high clearance type road) after the first couple of miles, I'd ask around to see if it's advisable.  Another interesting area is just outside of Mecca, it's called Box Canyon Rd and is the continuation of the road as it goes thru the park at the southeast corner.  Some interesting rock formations can be found there.  Right around the aquaduct northeast of Mecca is a road that goes into the canyons that's interesting too.  Anza Berrago is alright, although I like the Salton Sea towns that are now deserted better.  If you go to Berrago Springs the place to stay is La Casa del Zorro, no kidding!  Stay in the grand piano suite if you budget allows, the food is very good also!  The Mexican restaurant at La Quinta is great too.  Jim

mikev1

Joshua Tree NP
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 12:24:23 am »

Thanks to both of you.

Peter McLennan

Joshua Tree NP
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 01:05:10 pm »

Quote from: haefnerphoto
Anza Berrago is alright, although I like the Salton Sea towns that are now deserted better.

Jim, I like to photograph those Salton Sea locations, too.  I've not been down there for fifteen years or so.  Any specific recommendations?

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
Joshua Tree NP
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 01:39:31 pm »

Peter, It's been awhile since I've been down there too.  As I recall, the Salton City area on the west side of the lake is interesting (abandoned motels, etc) and the road from there to Borrago Springs has some great landscapes to shoot.  Have fun!  Jim

ericaro

Joshua Tree NP
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 07:01:46 pm »

Best in Anza-Borrego is to be at the badlands at sunset an take a pano of the badlands/Santa Ana mountains  combo. The light can be superb depending how clear the sky is. Louis Bouillon

mikev1

Joshua Tree NP
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 11:40:00 pm »

I drove past the Salton Sea last year, I'd never heard of it and was quite surprised how large it was.  My wife who has the worst sense of direction and had no idea where we were looked over saw this huge body of water and asked me if that was the ocean.  I had a bit of a chuckle at that.

Wife gave me the ok to stay over night (though she might revoke it for telling the above story) for a night so I might need to start doing some specific planning for where I want to be when the sun sets and rises.  I'll have to check out the badlands.
Pages: [1]   Go Up