Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1Ds: worth upgrading from D60  (Read 2992 times)

jeffreybehr

• Happily retired accountant
1Ds: worth upgrading from D60
« on: February 28, 2003, 12:19:12 pm »

R, if you consider only the 1Ds and forget about possible replacements, I believe the image quality from the 1Ds is significantly better than that of the D60.  I've said before but I repeat--the 1Ds's image quality is as much better than the D60's as the D60's is better than the D30's.  The chromatic abberation that some have written about simply is not an issue for me, altho I replaced a Canon 28/1.8 with a Sigma EX DG 28/1.8 because the Canon had too much of it.  (See http://forums.dpreview.com/forums....4055226 for more info on that.)

I believe that Canon will introduce at least one more DSLR at PMA, that it'll be mid-level (perhaps equivalent to the EOS 3 in body and focus quality), and that it may or may not replace the 1D.  I can't believe Canon would replace their flagship that's only about 6 months old.  Maybe they'll offer some firmware upgrades shortly?

RNB

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2003, 09:11:19 am »

Can files be too large, and if so when? After all, you can always toss out data in post processing, once you know what you want to do with the image. My Nikon 8000 scanner will, unless prevented, give me 350 megabytes from a 6x6 scan. 350 has the tendency to slow photoshop down a little.

Is this a cost of storage issue or a quality issue or something else alltogether?

RNB

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2003, 09:05:32 am »

Ok. Thanks to various comments in this forum, resources on this site, and other reviews, including DPReview.com and Shutterbug, I've pretty well done all the research I can. I have been using a D60, which I like. I also use a 1V for 35mm film and am familiar with the layout of the camera (I am using this body as a proxy for the feel/usage of the 1Ds).

My main reason for the upgrade would be to obtain larger image files, both for bigger prints and for cropping ability. I can't see how higher resolution isn't better, period (but have seen tests where the 1Ds will produce artifacts at the edges with wide angle lenses--same problem as 35mm).

Have we now established that Canon's latest offering, while an improvement over the D60, is not competitive with the 1Ds? It seems so to me, but I would welcome comments. I worry about two things. How long will it be before the next version of the 1Ds comes out. Lets face it, a sensor that determines horizontal or vertical orientation would be nice. Other little nits would be addressed. I'd hate to spring for $8000 and then see a new camera in a month. Also, I'd love to hear specualtion on any upcoming price drop.

Sorry to obsess over equipment and rumor. One thing about digital, though, "this year's equipment" is usually substantially better than "last year's". Since I'd like to keep the body as long as possible, I hate to make mistakes.

Thank you for any advice, and for  your patience.

David Lawson

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2003, 05:01:55 pm »

Personally the 1Ds files are too large for me and others I have spoken too. 1D with 8-9MP would do me fine, don't mind loosing 2-3 FPS to give me 5-6 FPS as well. Also OK with 1.3 crop. Think this will happen later this year 3D or 1D?

David Lawson

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2003, 11:52:49 am »

To RNB. "Too large for me". The work I currently do on digital is accepted and I use a 1D. In fact the D30 was good enough quality wise but I missed too many shots. So to answer your question they are too large because my client doesn't require larger so I don't need 11mp and to upgrade my computor. I'm waiting for my agents to tell me what size files they require for stock images, if 6MP will do it I'll get D10, if not wait for D3 or whatever it will be.
The 1Ds is a great camera stunning image quality etc. I would like more FPS say 5-6 and am prepared to sacrifice pixels to obtain it. Not sure if current cmos technology can do this. David  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up