Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5D Mark II or 1DS Mark III  (Read 1582 times)

citizenk

Canon 5D Mark II or 1DS Mark III
« on: December 27, 2008, 05:45:02 am »

I'd really like to have some feedback!

I've been long time waiting for the 5D mark II to come out but now I'm not quite convinced: I mainly do fashion and portraits, mainly in location. if it was for me I'd love to go for a Medium format digital back but my budget and clients do not allow (at least up to now...)

actually I own a 20D so anyone of the above would be a huge leap for me but the question is: is the price difference of the mark III worthy or i'd better spend my money for a 5D MKII and a new lens (or two?)

I also heard in the past about focusing issues of the mark III and I don't know if they have been solved up to now

thanks in advance for any precious advice :-)

Geoff Wittig

Canon 5D Mark II or 1DS Mark III
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 06:33:21 am »

Quote from: citizenk
I'd really like to have some feedback!

I've been long time waiting for the 5D mark II to come out but now I'm not quite convinced: I mainly do fashion and portraits, mainly in location. if it was for me I'd love to go for a Medium format digital back but my budget and clients do not allow (at least up to now...)

actually I own a 20D so anyone of the above would be a huge leap for me but the question is: is the price difference of the mark III worthy or i'd better spend my money for a 5D MKII and a new lens (or two?)

I also heard in the past about focusing issues of the mark III and I don't know if they have been solved up to now

thanks in advance for any precious advice :-)

I own the Eos-1Ds III; from what I read, there is not a substantial difference in image quality between this camera and the 5D II. The autofocus issues with Canon's 1D III series mostly have to do with fast moving subjects in bright light, and I have never encountered a problem shooting people or wildlife. Most published accounts suggest that the 1 series has much better autofocus than the 5D II, which is largely unchanged from the first model. The 1Ds II is also built like a cinderblock, and feels about as heavy in your hand. I think that if you're shooting fashion/portraits the lighter weight of the 5D would trump the better build quality of the 1Ds III, as you're unlikely to be shooting in pouring rain or sandstorms.
Pages: [1]   Go Up