Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UV Cut or not?  (Read 2741 times)

datro

UV Cut or not?
« on: December 23, 2008, 01:40:40 pm »

I know this has been debated before (and I've read most of the past threads on this topic) however I'm wondering if there is any new or recent wisdom on this topic.  Most of the threads here on this topic are at least a year old.

It seems that digitaldog prefers software compensation for UV (available in PM) and I've seen others who argue that having UV cut does not by itself degrade anything and may in fact be desirable (e.g. if you plan to build profiles for use with ColorBurst).

Anyone have any useful recent data or new opinions that would help me decide on UV cut or not?

Dave

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
UV Cut or not?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 12:16:36 am »

After making hundreds of profiles both ways (I have a Spectrolino with removeable filters) I'm now making all my profiles with the UV filter attached. There is very little difference between them, but the difference I do see is that I get slighty more neutrality along the entire gray ramp with the UV than without. The difference is very very small, but for my money, trying for that last little bit, it's worth it.

I also find that for profiling canvas or any very textured media, nothing works better than the Polarizing filter, which also cuts UV.
Pages: [1]   Go Up