Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flying issues  (Read 5423 times)

jrmintz

Flying issues
« on: December 21, 2008, 07:48:13 pm »

I'll be flying with my camera for the first time in a while in a few days. I'm a musician, so I have to bring a bass guitar onboard, as well as my laptop briefcase. Is it safe to pack my 5D and a lens or two in my checked luggage? I don't think I'll have a prayer of fitting it in my briefcase. It will be a nonstop domestic flight in the US. Has anyone had experiences, good or bad?

Thanks

Colorado David

Flying issues
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 08:29:17 pm »

I fly frequently and carry quite a lot of equipment.  I always carry on my cameras.  I put peripheral equipment in checked baggage, but when they're x-rayed, they always are searched by TSA.  I don't worry about TSA taking anything, but they're not always repacked the way I had them.  So far I haven't lost anything and haven't had anything damaged.  The airline regulations usually discourage you from packing camera equipment in checked bags.

francois

Flying issues
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 04:47:15 am »

Quote from: jrmintz
I'll be flying with my camera for the first time in a while in a few days. I'm a musician, so I have to bring a bass guitar onboard, as well as my laptop briefcase. Is it safe to pack my 5D and a lens or two in my checked luggage? I don't think I'll have a prayer of fitting it in my briefcase. It will be a nonstop domestic flight in the US. Has anyone had experiences, good or bad?

Thanks
Frankly, I wouldn't check my camera gear... unless I have a very good insurance. As David said above, checked suitcases and bags very often go through TSA manual inspection and sometimes, the re-packaging is far from optimal. I wouldn't blame them as they have very little time to perform those operations. On my last flight, two of my books were damaged.
Francois

jrmintz

Flying issues
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 09:09:40 am »

Thank you!

pindman

Flying issues
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 09:48:22 am »

I wouldn't think of checking cameras!  Way too many reports of them being stolen.

Think Tank Photo makes an "urban disguise" http://thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_UrbnDsgs.php  that will cary a camera system plus a laptop.  Works great.  I've taken mine around the world to remote areas.

Another thought.... get a stand up bass and put everything inside

Paul
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 09:49:01 am by pindman »

jrmintz

Flying issues
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 02:07:07 pm »

Quote from: pindman
.... get a stand up bass and put everything inside

Oh Brother! What a pain in the neck - the case is the size of a canoe.

dseelig

Flying issues
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 02:14:37 pm »

Check out the urban disquise line of bags from thinktankphoto.com David

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Flying issues
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 03:16:36 pm »

Thanks

If you must check your gear, be sure to get extra baggage insurance above and beyond the pitiful amount that the airlines offer.

Peter

Plekto

Flying issues
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 04:38:03 pm »

A combo bag like that might work as it would allow you to pack the laptop and camera in one bag.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Flying issues
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 07:42:57 pm »

You could carry the camera over your shoulder.  In my experience that doesn't count against you as a bag. (No guarantees, of course, but it should work fine.)
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

aaykay

Flying issues
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 09:13:07 pm »

Thanks

I never put my camera or any other electronic equipment into checked baggage but then again, I typically don't have lenses larger than around a 70-200 f/2.8 or a 24-70 f/2.8 and a few other lenses that are smaller, along with the body.  I even carry my Series-5 (or Series-3) Gitzo in my cabin baggage, since even the specific tripod models I went with, were carefully chosen for fitment into cabin baggage.  

What goes into the checked baggage are things that I can do without, for a few days, push come to shove.

jrmintz

Flying issues
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 10:08:25 pm »

Quote from: k bennett
You could carry the camera over your shoulder.  In my experience that doesn't count against you as a bag. (No guarantees, of course, but it should work fine.)

The problem is that I'll have a bass guitar in a bag on my back and a shoulder bag. The bass is where I always anticipate I'll have problems, although I actually never have.

Thanks for this discussion everyone - one blinding realization that it stimulated was that if I take off the lens the body will fit in my shoulder bag with no problem. Duh...

reburns

• Ralph E Burns Photography
Flying issues
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 11:24:09 am »

Tidbits -  I'm one who always carrys on the camera in hand luggage:

- but I put the battery charger in checked luggage.  After all, it's not terribly valuable, rihgt?  You can see where this is heading:  my checked luggage was lost for my last photo-holiday.... have camera, no juice.  It worked out in the end, but not without some nail-biting.  So "valuable" doesn't equate to monetary cost!

- Several times I've accidently shown up to the airport with a swiss army knife in my laptop briefcase - something that easily shows up on X-ray and gets confiscated.  It sails right thru X-ray once inside the camera bag.  I've probably done that thirty times.  Hope you don't work for TSA...

reburns

• Ralph E Burns Photography
Flying issues
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 11:25:01 am »

-
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 11:25:40 am by reburns »

Roger Calixto

Flying issues
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 02:01:16 pm »

I know this isn't directly related since you're flying domestic, but I had my tripod denied boarding in Sao Paulo last month. Luckily I hadn't checked but 1 bag so I was able to check my carry on with the tripod inside. Pissed me off though.

Lesson: check the damn list of restrictions through every country to travel before traveling.

--------------
If my day job wasn't so cool, I'd quit and be a photographer =)

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Flying issues
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 04:03:22 pm »

Quote from: reburns
Tidbits -  I'm one who always carrys on the camera in hand luggage:

- but I put the battery charger in checked luggage.  After all, it's not terribly valuable, rihgt?  You can see where this is heading:  my checked luggage was lost for my last photo-holiday.... have camera, no juice.  It worked out in the end, but not without some nail-biting.  So "valuable" doesn't equate to monetary cost!
I always have all cables, batteries, chargers, plugs etc in carry on and only things I can do without will ever go in hold. Which is back up/duplicate kit only as I want to keep it separate.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Tom Gresham

Flying issues
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 07:09:44 pm »

FEDEX.

Ship your cameras, or your bass, ahead.

Seriously.

Colorado David

Flying issues
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 07:54:59 pm »

Tom, is that you?  Are you a POMA member?
Pages: [1]   Go Up