Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: G10 vs G1 prints quality  (Read 4114 times)

jacland

• Jacek Łuc Photography
G10 vs G1 prints quality
« on: December 20, 2008, 04:36:24 pm »

I red carefully Michael's field revues of G10 and G1, and also article about prints from G10 vs those fromH2/P45. But I'd like to know if is there any noticeable difference between prints from G10 and from G1. I mean size  A3/A3+.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 05:19:58 pm by jacland »

giles

G10 vs G1 prints quality
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 09:03:11 am »

Quote from: jacland
I red carefully Michael's field revues of G10 and G1, and also article about prints from G10 vs those fromH2/P45. But I'd like to know if is there any noticeable difference between prints from G10 and from G1. I mean size  A3/A3+.
Michael (intentionally) limited the comparison to "good" examples from the G10: specifically, low ISO.  If you need higher ISO I'm pretty sure (although I haven't printed from either camera) that you'll be getting better results from the G1 than the G10.  That Michael bought a G1 is probably a reasonably reliable Clue.

The G1 also has more flexibility: two micro 4/3 lenses available now, some 4/3 lenses able to be used with a converter,  more micro 4/3 lenses expected, and converters too to allow use of Leica lenses.  The G1 is an interesting camera.

I am not really very sure how comparable the cameras are beyond the G10's "sweet spot" at base ISO: the G10 is pocketable (for reasonably generous sizes of pocket!) and the G1 -- especially with a lens attached -- isn't.  Michael demonstrates the different sizes in a short online video, linked to from the end of his G1 review, as you've presumably seen:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/videos/g1-compare.shtml
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/...asonic-g1.shtml

I've bought a G10 to have a "point and shoot" camera available when I'm not willing/able to carry a DSLR.  If I were traveling regularly by plane primarily for non-photography purposes, I think I'd be very tempted by a G1 and a couple of lenses.  (I'd also be tempted by a point and shoot style and size camera, whether it be micro 4/3 or any other flavour of APS-C or thereabouts size sensor: it's wait and see in that area right now; Olympus have promised a compact style micro 4/3 camera, but it's not out yet.)

Giles

Er1kksen

G10 vs G1 prints quality
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 05:47:46 pm »

Sometime next year there's a 7-14mm lens arriving for m4/3 cameras like the G1. Like the venerable Olympus 7-14 for 4/3 it covers the equivalent of 14-28mm in 35mm terms, basically meaning that it's the widest fov available (along with 4/3 cameras with the current 7-14) short of a full-frame nikon or canon. Based on the performance of the Olympus 7-14, it should be an excellent lens, particularly taking into consideration the less complicated design allowed by the shorter lens-sensor distance.

So for UWA enthusiasts, the G1 is pretty close to being in a class of its own, given that the body sells for about $500 now in the US and the lens is likely to be less expensive than its Olympus counterpart...

DarkPenguin

G10 vs G1 prints quality
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 06:27:15 pm »

I'd be shocked if it was anywhere in the ballpark of that 7-14.  The 7-14 is a $1500 monster.  The Pany version will have to be a lot smaller (and a lot cheaper) to fit with the G1's positioning.  That's going to hurt it optically.  It may very well be an excellent lens but I doubt it will be in the 7-14's class.

Er1kksen

G10 vs G1 prints quality
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 10:33:02 am »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
I'd be shocked if it was anywhere in the ballpark of that 7-14.  The 7-14 is a $1500 monster.  The Pany version will have to be a lot smaller (and a lot cheaper) to fit with the G1's positioning.  That's going to hurt it optically.  It may very well be an excellent lens but I doubt it will be in the 7-14's class.

I'd agree except that it's a lot easier to design good wide lenses with the shorter lens-sensor distance used in micro 4/3. The mockups they've shown look like they're about the same size as my old olympus kit lens (the 14-45) though narrower in diameter, so it's not quite looking "small" but certainly smaller, which means less glass is used, which means less expense, without necessarily having a major impact on optical design. Panasonic has stated that leica is still working with them on their better lenses, so I have high hopes. If it dissapoints, I guess that's that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up