Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Too many calibration loaders?  (Read 7502 times)

walter.sk

Too many calibration loaders?
« on: December 20, 2008, 10:21:07 am »

My XPPro computer has, on odd occasions, been dumping me out of the Windows Welcome screen to a Blue Screen of Death,  with cryptic messages to restart the computer because of driver conflict related to the display.  I reinstalled my video driver, updated it, and deinstalled my NEC 3090 software.  Also, I tried deinstalling a trial download of ADJUST monitor callibration software, which I had tried before getting the Spectraview II software.  I also have the i-One calibration software on the computer, as well as the HP-Advanced Profiling Solution (HP-APS), which I use for profiling my printer.  I reinstalled SpectraViewII, and kept getting messages from my HP calibration software saying my monitor profile was outdated.

I had to reprofile my monitor with the HP-APS software in order to reach its option of saying never, never to remind me that the profile is out of date.  I did the same with the i-One profiler, and then did another calibration and profile with SpectraViewII.  I continued to get the Blue Screen of Death, randomly, on boot-up.

Today, I went into the Startup folder and was shocked to see icons for the following:  ADJUST Monitor Calibration Loader, LUT Loader,  Logo Calibration Loader, Profile Reminder (i1), HP-Profile Reminder, and SpectraViewII Gamma Loader!  

Am I right in thinking that with all of these programs trying to load profiles on boot-up, that this may have been causing the lethal conflicts?  I removed all but the SpectraviewII Gamma Loader, but I don't even know what program the LUT Loader is connected to.
I also attempted to uninstall the ADJUST profiler and Windows can't do it:  it says a file is missing.

I am also concerned that somehow there was interference with SpectraView's function of linearizing the videocard's LUT after calibration and profiling the NEC 3090, and/or that two or more monitor profiles were being loaded, much as would sometimes happen when somebody inadvertently had the old Adobe Gamma Loader still active along with a real monitor profile.

Any thoughts on these things?

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 11:19:25 am »

You should only have one calibration/profile loader active at a time. Ever. Get rid of the extra ones (disabling them at startup is usually sufficient) and then reprofile with the one program you kept active. Too many cooks spoil the soup, and too many monitor calibrations will cause all kinds of conflicts and color management problems.

walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 11:23:15 am »

Quote from: Jonathan Wienke
You should only have one calibration/profile loader active at a time. Ever. Get rid of the extra ones (disabling them at startup is usually sufficient) and then reprofile with the one program you kept active. Too many cooks spoil the soup, and too many monitor calibrations will cause all kinds of conflicts and color management problems.
Thanks.  I really wish that software would inform us as to what tidbits it leaves around the hard drive and where;  better still would be for us to be given the choice.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 11:30:36 am »

I agree.

jackbingham

• http://www.integrated-color.com
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 01:16:57 pm »

Let's be sure we are talking about the real issue here. All these loaders will load what ever the default system profile is, not some other profile. Also they do one thing and one thing only, load profiles, video luts and perhaps monitor luts at startup. They do not influence anything after that. But yes, you should only have one and it should be the one associates with the program you are actually going to use. LutLoader is from ColorEyes.
Jack Bingham
Integrated Color Corp Maker

walter.sk

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 02:40:49 pm »

Quote from: jackbingham
Let's be sure we are talking about the real issue here. All these loaders will load what ever the default system profile is, not some other profile. Also they do one thing and one thing only, load profiles, video luts and perhaps monitor luts at startup. They do not influence anything after that. But yes, you should only have one and it should be the one associates with the program you are actually going to use. LutLoader is from ColorEyes.
Well, for whatever it is worth, I cleaned out the startup folder and reprofiled with SpectraViewII.  I shouldn't say this yet, but so far, no more blue screens of death from Windows.
Pages: [1]   Go Up