Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gravity Well  (Read 5546 times)

vandevanterSH

Gravity Well
« on: December 18, 2008, 07:18:31 pm »

A very "intelligent" photograph.  Is the NFL and now "Gravity Well" an new direction?

Steve

michael

Gravity Well
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 09:14:56 pm »

Just having fun. I go where my eye takes me.

Michael

vandevanterSH

Gravity Well
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 09:22:26 pm »

Quote from: michael

Michael
That's the difference between you and most of the rest of us.  That photo really put a smile on my face.

Steve

MatthewCromer

Gravity Well
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 10:02:08 pm »

MR shooting a "Bigma" now. . .

Cool shot!

michael

Gravity Well
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 06:39:15 am »

I've only be shooting with the Bigma (Sigma 50-500mm) for a couple of days but I have to say that I'm floored by how good it is. It easily surpasses the Canon 100-400mm in every respect.

I was hoping to get Sony's new 70-400mm for my Antarctic trip coming up in a couple of weeks, but it looks like these won't become available till later in January, so I picked up the Bigma to have something longer than 300mm for the trip, figuring I could always sell it afterward.

Well, the Sony 70-400mm is going to have to be especially good to replace the Bigma. I'd heard this was a fine lens, but my sample seems to be exceptional.

More on it after the trip.

Michael
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 06:39:53 am by michael »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Gravity Well
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 07:00:50 am »

Michael,

It would be nice to hear a bit more about your lenses for the A900.

I'm right now testing KM 20/2.8, KM 28-75/2.8, KM 50/1.4, KM 100/2.8, KM 80-200/2.8 and SAL 24-70/2.8 ZA. I'll probably post some info next week, partly depending on weather.

Best regards
Erik

I've only be shooting with the Bigma (Sigma 50-500mm) for a couple of days but I have to say that I'm floored by how good it is. It easily surpasses the Canon 100-400mm in every respect.

I was hoping to get Sony's new 70-400mm for my Antarctic trip coming up in a couple of weeks, but it looks like these won't become available till later in January, so I picked up the Bigma to have something longer than 300mm for the trip, figuring I could always sell it afterward.

Well, the Sony 70-400mm is going to have to be especially good to replace the Bigma. I'd heard this was a fine lens, but my sample seems to be exceptional.

More on it after the trip.

Michael
Erik Kaffehr

michael

Gravity Well
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 07:25:57 am »

I'm doing an A900 update report which will be online in a few days. I'll have a bit more to say then.

Michael

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
Gravity Well
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 08:02:31 am »

Michael

very cool...the high tech tennis look...what are the orange balls?...what am I looking at here?...

what a great graphic image, i mean, hmmm, damn, I can't think of the english word...kind of Escher-esque...

Honeymoon Suite and Morning at Floe Lake in the Colorspace review are really nice too...

M

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Gravity Well
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 10:40:39 am »

Thanks!

I'm doing an A900 update report which will be online in a few days. I'll have a bit more to say then.

Michael
Erik Kaffehr

Farmer

Gravity Well
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 08:57:05 pm »

Michael - have you had any thoughts of considering the APO 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM on the basis of less zoom might be better optical quality (given you've just previewed your thoughts on the Bigma as being very good)?  Interestingly it's heavier than the 50-500, which surprised me.  I'm seriously considering one of these lenses so any thoughts you had on the 150-500 would be welcome if you end up reviewing the Bigma in more detail :-)
Phil Brown

michael

Gravity Well
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 03:54:20 am »

The balls are overhead in an enclosed outdoor tennis area.

I was considering the 150-500mm, but everything that I've read indicated that it is not as well regarded as the 50-500mm. Strange, I agree.

If I had any camera to put it on other than the Sony I likely would have gotten the newer lens because of stabilization, but on the A900 with in-body stabilization it's redundant and unneeded.

Michael
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 09:16:40 am by michael »

Farmer

Gravity Well
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 04:49:11 am »

The balls are overhead in an enclosed outdoor tennis area.

I was considering the 150-500mm, but everything that I've read indicated that it is not as well regarded as the 50-500mm. Strange, I agree.

If I had any camera to put it on other than the Sony I likely would have gotten the newer lens because of stabilization, but on the A900 with in-body stabilization it's redundant and unneeded.

Michael

Thanks for the comments and feedback, Michael.  Interesting - I'll be very keen to see how it performs for you :-)  I have the A700 atm and looking at the A900.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 09:16:51 am by michael »
Phil Brown

Dan Vincent

• Daniel Vincent Aviation Photography
Gravity Well
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 09:27:33 pm »

Michael:

I've been using the 50-500 combo with both my old Maxxum 5D (which I no longer own) and an a700. It is an excellent lens. I've sold many prints and images created with that combination. It's more than paid for itself. It's excellent.

But I'm still going to sell it and buy the 70-400G when it comes out.

There's a few reasons for that, even from a non-image quality standpoint.

1. The Bigma is huge. I'm sure you realize that.  But the 70-400G is smaller and lighter.

2. Full time manual focus, focus limiters, focus hold buttons. These are all big features missing from the Bigma.

3. A better hood with a window to turn the polarizer with it attached.

4. The Bigma has an 86mm coarse filter thread. Using a CPL on it is expensive and difficult. The 70-400G has a much more common 77mm standard thread.

5. SSM focusing. AF performance on the Bigma is good, but not excellent.  Speedier, quiet focusing is something I'd be interested in.

I have seen several samples from the 70-400G and image quality wise it's going to be as good as or better than the Bigma. From an IQ standpoint, there's nowhere else to go but up, especially wide open. At 400-500mm, the Bigma's vignetting performance is terrible. I rarely shoot at 500mm anyway, I use it more as a spotting scope. I'll gladly give up that 100mm for better performance all around.

Also, on an aside, there IS a Sony hand strap. But they call it a "grip belt." It also comes with a tripod socket adapter for the cameras without vertical grips. There's also the old Minolta HS-1000.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores...552921665295951
Pages: [1]   Go Up