Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Citizen reporters and the digicam  (Read 3905 times)

thewanderer

Citizen reporters and the digicam
« on: December 16, 2008, 05:36:59 pm »

i was watching cspan or pbs, and this guy was being interviewed, and he is a innovator or early thinker if you will on this concept of everyone is a journalist sort of thing, now that video cams are in everyones pocket, or most everyone from cell phones to hd camcorders for a $1000.00  It seems this process is sort of chasing out some of the old school, location shooting video with big equipment and all,  and making hte public the reporter some extent.   cnn has the iReport section on there website, basicallly a user submitted forum of just about anything,,

Seems the same route that the digital still has gone, everyone with a camera was a magaazine photog, and all the penny stock sites popped up and salaried journalist photogs found less to do or there use to the big papers became a bit more obsolete,

here is the link to one of the pages to the website, interesting that video is going the same route as photog..at least that is how i view the site, It is interesting to see the transition allmost by the day.  

http://www.rosenblumtv.com/tvproduction.shtml

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 01:15:54 am »

Quote from: thewanderer
i was watching cspan or pbs, and this guy was being interviewed, and he is a innovator or early thinker if you will on this concept of everyone is a journalist sort of thing, now that video cams are in everyones pocket, or most everyone from cell phones to hd camcorders for a $1000.00  It seems this process is sort of chasing out some of the old school, location shooting video with big equipment and all,  and making hte public the reporter some extent.   cnn has the iReport section on there website, basicallly a user submitted forum of just about anything,,

Seems the same route that the digital still has gone, everyone with a camera was a magaazine photog, and all the penny stock sites popped up and salaried journalist photogs found less to do or there use to the big papers became a bit more obsolete,

here is the link to one of the pages to the website, interesting that video is going the same route as photog..at least that is how i view the site, It is interesting to see the transition allmost by the day.  

http://www.rosenblumtv.com/tvproduction.shtml

I dont think this is new really - TV news has been hoovering up amature handycam footage for ages now and local TV have been using one person small cam crews too

I think this is good and bad

good when it allows viewers to see amazing stuff - access

bad when it is just done for budget

Basically footage of news captured by an amateur is better than footage missed by a professional

Footage captured by a professional is best of all

Same as stills

I am local to a village called Boscastle that was flooded - the citizens and emergency services took all the best footage and stills while the pros like myself were battling through traffic and police road blocks to get to the scene - missing the action

Was use of that footage the correct way to illustrate the event - yes - does that mak my pro skills in news gathering useless from that day on - no

-----------

Personally as a newb to video I have bought three cameras the 40cm 7KG EX1 and the 12cm 0.5KG SR12 and the D90

The SR12 blows highlights and is pretty unconrollable
The D90 is compression shake misfocus hell
The Ex1 is proper

I have been questioning 'how will I work' with this Kit

The 0.5kg cams will allow me to get a lot more footage from a lot more places a lot quicker than the 7KG cam which is not handholdable easily and cant be kept in a pocket

Will clients appreciate more or better for thier money ?

I have a suspicion that it might be more !

The DS2 is interesting if it really is quality and small - I dont beleive that yet

S

Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 11:17:04 am »

Quote from: Morgan_Moore
I dont think this is new really - TV news has been hoovering up amature handycam footage for ages now and local TV have been using one person small cam crews too

I think this is good and bad

good when it allows viewers to see amazing stuff - access

bad when it is just done for budget

Basically footage of news captured by an amateur is better than footage missed by a professional

Footage captured by a professional is best of all

Same as stills
Sam,

You have really nailed it!
Every would-be photojournalist should recite what you said 50 times every morning before breakfast: "Footage of news captured by an amateur is better than footage missed by a professional. Footage captured by a professional is best of all."
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

thewanderer

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 03:44:09 pm »

given papers and magazines going out of business every day it seems like, budget seems to be  a BIG part of the process, i would think that this flooding of video would have the same impact on the videographers as the micro stock did or does on the full time photogrpaher, despite the quality aspect, heck weather channel, cnn, fox, and everyone else is always soliciting video from you the viewer,,

seems to have taken a little longer as the quality of the amature videographers videoequipment has come down and now affordable by all, just like the digicam,

Pages: [1]   Go Up