Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Softproofing and Layers: Questions  (Read 2173 times)

walter.sk

Softproofing and Layers: Questions
« on: December 15, 2008, 11:18:50 am »

Here we go again:  The more I learn the less it seems I know.

In Photoshop (CS4) after I have made adjustments to my softproofed image (View>Proof Color) and I deselect Proof Color, or press Ctrl-Y, what gets displayed on the display?  Is it the background layer plus the adjustment layers (more likely) or just the original background layer?

In the softproofing in Qimage, which to me seems more accurate than softproofing in Photoshop, am I right in assuming that in the Softproof window, when I right-click and select Original Image, it still displays my background layer plus the adjustment layers, rather than the background layer only (actually the same as the above question?)

In Photoshop I keep an unsoftproofed version of my image on the screen against which I judge my adjustments, so these questions are more academic, but I am curious.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Softproofing and Layers: Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 11:56:53 am »

When you de-select soft proof the visual impact attributable to the printer profile and rendering intent and paper white simulation disappears. That's all. The file remains as you adjusted it with all the layers with or without the softproof. Think of it as a filter overlaying the total image file. Turning the soft-proof on and off has zero impact on the file numbers. It's like looking at the world through rose coloured glasses. Put them on and the world isn't rose coloured. Take them off and the world hasn't changed.  
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: [1]   Go Up