Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 24mm TS-E configuration  (Read 5460 times)

Daisychained

Canon 24mm TS-E configuration
« on: December 14, 2008, 09:22:21 pm »

HI,
    Canon ships this lens ( Canon 24mm TS-E ) with the movements perpendicular, and I read that many people have it reconfigured to work combined . What are the pros and cons of these two seperate configurations ?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 09:23:35 pm by Daisychained »

Mark F

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 10:40:00 pm »

Here is an article on how to convert a Canon T/S lens which may be of some help:

http://www.outbackphoto.com/workflow/wf_42/essay.html

Quote from: Daisychained
HI,
    Canon ships this lens ( Canon 24mm TS-E ) with the movements perpendicular, and I read that many people have it reconfigured to work combined . What are the pros and cons of these two seperate configurations ?
Mark

Tony Beach

• http://imageevent.com/tonybeach/twelveimages
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 11:14:40 pm »

I'm currently having my 24mm and 45mm PC-E Nikkors modified, and I just bought the older 85mm PC micro (not PC-E) so I can do the modification myself.  For landscape photography this allows me to use the shift function to control perspective which often allows me to get a lower angle without squashing foreground and to use less of the tilt to bring foreground and background simultaneously into focus because I can choose to be higher off the ground and therefore farther from the nearest part of the scene I am shooting.

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 11:21:25 pm »

The only draw back that I have seen, when you have both on the same axis, is slippage when you are walking with it on a tripod over your shoulder. It becomes imperative to check the tilt mechanism before every shot.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Daisychained

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 09:14:53 am »

Thanks Folks,
                    Ok we´ve covered having the lens configured to have the movements on the same axis. So what are the benifits of keeping the original configuration, if there arn´t any , why does Canon ship it this way when so many people alter it ?
 Thanks again for your help. Brian

Tony Beach

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 11:26:22 am »

Quote from: Daisychained
Thanks Folks,
                    Ok we´ve covered having the lens configured to have the movements on the same axis. So what are the benifits of keeping the original configuration, if there arn´t any , why does Canon ship it this way when so many people alter it ?
 Thanks again for your help. Brian

Having the alignments 90° offset was indispensable in getting this shot:

Ideally I would like to be able to set the alignment of each of the functions independently; Hartblei makes TS lenses that do this, but they do not make a 24mm lens and they are much more expensive.  I asked Thom Hogan the same question about how these lenses are shipped, and he didn't have an answer either.  My guess is that it's easier to put them together and test them in that configuration than it is when the functions are aligned to the same axis.

Daisychained

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 09:07:19 pm »

Quote from: Tony Beach
Having the alignments 90° offset was indispensable in getting this shot:

Ideally I would like to be able to set the alignment of each of the functions independently; Hartblei makes TS lenses that do this, but they do not make a 24mm lens and they are much more expensive.  I asked Thom Hogan the same question about how these lenses are shipped, and he didn't have an answer either.  My guess is that it's easier to put them together and test them in that configuration than it is when the functions are aligned to the same axis.

Thank you Tony. I like the example :-)

dasams

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 06:10:07 pm »

Quote from: Tony Beach
I use Nikon's 24 PC-E for lanscape work and prefer the perpendicular orientation so that I can shift left & right for panos while retaining the ability to tilt up & down.  Panos created this way using a D300 result in files that are approx 7,000 x 4,288 or ~29 MP.  This assumes the camera mounted in the portrait orientation.  If in landscape, the resultant file would be approx 8,500 x 2848. Too bad the shift/tilt orientation isn't field adjustable.  dave

Tony Beach

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 06:51:41 pm »

Quote from: dasams
I use Nikon's 24 PC-E for lanscape work and prefer the perpendicular orientation so that I can shift left & right for panos while retaining the ability to tilt up & down.  Panos created this way using a D300 result in files that are approx 7,000 x 4,288 or ~29 MP.  This assumes the camera mounted in the portrait orientation.  If in landscape, the resultant file would be approx 8,500 x 2848. Too bad the shift/tilt orientation isn't field adjustable.  dave

This has occurred to me also; I have done similar things with my Nikkor 45/2.8 PC-E and the files are closer to 25 MP.  One thing I don't like about this is that I have the RRS Ultimate-Pro Omni Pivot Pacakage pano head and I want to use the shift with that for perspective control while using the tilt to better keep foregrounds and backgrounds in focus simultaneously.

Anyway, I am now planning on selling my PC-E lenses and will stretch my personal finances over the next several months to buy an A900, Sony 16-35/2.8 ZA, and Hartblei 40/4 TS (which is field adjustable) for my landscape photography.  One thing I have noticed with my Nikkor 24/3.5 PC-E is that shifting it to its extreme gives somewhat softer results in the corners, even on the smaller image circle recorded by my D300; the combo I will be replacing it with is a lot more expensive but I'm expecting better results in this regard and stitching 2 or 3 files together will result in 40-50 MP images.
Pages: [1]   Go Up