Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya Rb67 Pro S + SD vs RZ67 Pro II  (Read 21433 times)

hobbsr

Mamiya Rb67 Pro S + SD vs RZ67 Pro II
« on: December 06, 2008, 05:05:33 am »

Hi All,

I have a few options to buy into a 6" x 7" Mamiya system, and am seeking some advice on which one will be the better choice? From my research I see the main differences as these:

1. RB fully mechanical
2. RZ electronic shutter & AE prism
3. RZ maybe easier to move to digital

Outside of the fully mechanical vs Electronic it seems the RZ is a later system? Not sure what the real deal breakers are between the two. I am at this thinking that for the price advantage the RB 67 Pro S and SD are a sound choice as I do not think I need anything that the RZ has?

I want to use this for fine art application (architecture and landscape) as well as Portraits. I will use a meter and may use some off camera lighting like my Elinchrom ranger and skyport.

Thanks for any advice and experience with these systems.

regards

Rodney

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 05:32:00 am »

Hi,
I choose the RZ67ProII.
Mainly because what I heard was that there was a big difference in viewfinder and weight compared to the RB.
In the end I replaced the focusscreen for a third party one because in the studio it was a bit dimm.

The RZ67ProII was easy to convert to digital.
The Leaf adaptor retails for app 650.00 euro and you need two cables with it.

The RZ67ProII D could be operated without the cables with the RZ back from Mamiya (don't know 100% for the leaf) but I don't really like the RZ back to be honest.

Seeing the price difference in the RZ67ProIID and RZ67ProII I opted for the normal II.
To be honest I'm now looking at the D, I bought the unit to play with and never expected it to replace the 645AFD/III in the studio but it did.
The quality of the results and the feeling you get working with the camera is just amazing.

asf

• http://www.adamfriedberg.com
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 12:17:49 pm »

i have proIID, my friend has a proS, both work fine with leaf backs

if you want to save money the proS(D) is a great deal, but get the newest KL lenses if you can

asf

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 04:09:25 pm »

and make sure you get a good shade, these lenses all need it

michaelnotar

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 07:17:01 pm »

i had a bad experience with the RB pro-s, got it in HS and once i got to college, i learned all the times on the lenses were way off. i got an RZ and really liked it, i would recommend it. do get the newer lenses (with 1/2 stop fstops indicated on the lenses... i assume they are the new ones), the RB is alot older, the new KL lenses as the other guy mentioned appear to be just as good as the RZ lenses but i havent used them.

the Rb has one lever for the mirror, another for the film back advance, the RZ just has the first which does both functions. i think the RZ is from like 1990 and the pro/pro-s is from the 60s/70s. the RZ Pro II has a micro focus knob and 1/2 shutterspeeds, something the old RZ or all RBs lack.

on the used market, both systems are very cheap, and the price difference isnt much. great deals from keh.com.

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 06:23:40 pm »

I have used for many years RZs and they are very reliable and incredible workhorses.

epatsellis

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 08:12:38 pm »

I prefer the RB for it's all mechanical approach. That having been said, like any precise mechanical device, maintenance is required, and most of the used lenses and bodies you find will require some. An even larger advantage is if, like me, you are buying for the long term, consider C series lenses and the RB, while KL series lenses are (theoretically) better, they are unservicable, quite a few of the parts are not available for them. I'd intend on having my RB's for at least 10-12 years, and that factor alone weighed heavily in my decision.

erie

asf

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 11:16:48 pm »

didn't know about the kl lenses being unserviceable

just today i picked up my friends 75 kl lens from repair
as they are the newest of the rb lenses, and still for sale as far as i know, i'm surprised to hear this

maybe check with mamiya on this
Pages: [1]   Go Up