Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone recommend Apple Pro care lessons for Aperture?  (Read 9084 times)

Josef Isayo

Anyone recommend Apple Pro care lessons for Aperture?
« on: December 05, 2008, 04:51:26 pm »

Apple Pro care costs $99 and comes with up to 52, one hour sessions that are one on one with an Apple software experts. Anybody recommend this?

Thanks!

Richard Marcellus

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 11:31:13 am »

I have been working through the Apple Pro Training Series book on Aperture 2, and I am quite happy with it. Personally I prefer to learn from books, both to be able to study on my own schedule and to have the reference material available for the future.

I also wonder what kind of expert you will get from Apple. Do know if they will provide an expert in photographic workflow for $2/hour, or rather a moderately knowledgeable generalist who can get you rolling with any of their apps? If they really do have dedicated Aperture experts, it does sound like a good deal.

Richard

Quote from: Josef Isayo
Apple Pro care costs $99 and comes with up to 52, one hour sessions that are one on one with an Apple software experts. Anybody recommend this?

Thanks!

ceyman

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 01:24:05 pm »

"Software experts" who work for $2/hour?  The recession is even worse than I thought.

David K

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 12:16:23 am »

Thanks!

I've done it and recommend it highly provided the Apple store you're going to has a highly qualified instructor.   Since I wasn't a newbie to Aperture before doing this I politely insisted on interviewing the on site Aperture guru at my local store.  Didn't take 5 minutes for me to know I could learn a LOT from her... she'd been working intensively with the program for well over a year.  It also didn't hurt that she was an avid amateur photographer... we spoke the same language and had the same concerns.  I wound up going back for 4 or 5 hour long sessions and felt that each one was productive and worth the time.  She moved to another location and there's nobody at my local store who's qualified to teach it.  I'm sure I won't come close to taking 52 hours worth of instruction but for $99 I feel I've gotten my money's worth already.

dseelig

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 10:52:29 pm »

I just was in NYC and did the free apple workshops for aperture and photoshop defitnely worth the time If I lived by an apple store I would do the 99 dollar 1 on 1 training. good Luck Davud

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 11:31:14 am »

Quote from: David K
I've done it and recommend it highly provided the Apple store you're going to has a highly qualified instructor.   Since I wasn't a newbie to Aperture before doing this I politely insisted on interviewing the on site Aperture guru at my local store.  Didn't take 5 minutes for me to know I could learn a LOT from her... she'd been working intensively with the program for well over a year.
A colleague had lessons from an Apple 'Expert' at my local store and he commented it was a waste of time, as basically the chap was only one lesson ahead of him and was simply regurgitating what he was taught the week before.
You need to be a experienced user of the programme in the environment it was designed to be used before you can teach it well.
Too many people teach software/write books on how to use software, because thay aren't actually good enough to use it in the real world. This doesn't mean an expert at using a piece of software is a good teacher though, as teaching is a another skill again.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 11:31:53 am by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: [1]   Go Up