Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon EF 24mm f1.4L II availability?  (Read 3145 times)

Brian Nesbitt

Canon EF 24mm f1.4L II availability?
« on: December 04, 2008, 08:51:00 am »

Is there a confirmed release date for the new Canon EF 24mm f1.4L II lens? I'm swaying between getting this or the 16-35 II. Presumably the new prime would have far superior IQ which is my main priority. I already have the 35 1.4 so that covers that end. Thanks.

WilliamF

• http://
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 09:23:18 am »

I also wish to buy the 24mm f1.4 ll, I was told by Vistek they could have one in a week by special order. They have sold only one so far. I have searched the web for some kind of review & have found nothing!
I would like a better idea of performance before buying one, the MTF chart is not too inspiring but that is far from the whole picture. So if you get one let me know how it is please!

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 05:12:13 pm »

Quote from: WilliamF
I also wish to buy the 24mm f1.4 ll, I was told by Vistek they could have one in a week by special order. They have sold only one so far. I have searched the web for some kind of review & have found nothing!
I would like a better idea of performance before buying one, the MTF chart is not too inspiring but that is far from the whole picture. So if you get one let me know how it is please!

I also want to purchase this lens and have been waiting for some reviews to turn up online - of late there are none.

I am hoping the Digital Picture reviews the lens very soon as its now available for order from Amazon and B&H.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Daniel Browning

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 06:48:50 pm »

Quote from: Brian Nesbitt
Is there a confirmed release date for the new Canon EF 24mm f1.4L II lens?

I don't know, but I'm watching for it.

Quote from: Brian Nesbitt
I'm swaying between getting this or the 16-35 II. Presumably the new prime would have far superior IQ which is my main priority.

Image quality means something different to everyone, so what does it mean to you? MTF, center resolution, vignetting, chromatic aberration, distortion, flare, SA, corner softness? Stopped down to f/5.6, the two have very similar performance in many of these areas.

The 24mm f/1.4 is my favorite lens, and I recommend it if the wide aperture is needed; however, most other purposes will be served better a zoom, such as the 17-40 or 16-35.

Quote from: Josh-H
as its now available for order from Amazon and B&H.

I, too, am looking forward to Bryan's review of the lens on the-digital-picture.com.

I cannot find it on the B&H web site, nor could the phone rep find it in their system. Amazon says "Usually ships in 1-3 months". Adorama is also taking preorders.
--Daniel
Pages: [1]   Go Up