Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS4 - using masked gradients  (Read 3572 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
CS4 - using masked gradients
« on: December 03, 2008, 09:55:47 am »

I have a landscape that was taken with a polarizing filter. The sky is a deeper blue at one side of the photo and fades to a lighter blue at the other side. It seems I should be able to even this out using a masked adjustment layer with a gradient, but I have not been able to figure it out. Here's what I have done:

1) Import image into PS as Smart Object.
2) Select sky area.
3) Create a levels adjustment layer. As expected, this layer is masked per the selection.
4) Adjust the levels so the lighest part of the sky is darkened to the desired point.
5) Make sure the adjustment layer and not the image is active.
6) Use the gradient tool to draw a horizontal gradient across the sky area.

The result is that the entire image is affected by the gradient, not just the sky area. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Peter

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 01:48:04 pm »

When you select the sky and then create the adjustment layer, the selection gets converted to a layer mask - the selection is no longer active at this point. When you then use the gradient on the mask, it overwrites the previous selection-based mask. There are two ways to get around this:

1) Save you selection before creating the adjustment layer, so that you can reload the selection after creasting the adjustment (but before using the gradient).

2) Do exactly as you tried before, only change the mode of the gradient to "Darken" so that it doesn't overwrite the previously masked out areas (which are already black).

To me #2 is easier and quicker.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 01:48:35 pm by JeffKohn »
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 05:27:08 pm »

Quote from: JeffKohn
When you select the sky and then create the adjustment layer, the selection gets converted to a layer mask - the selection is no longer active at this point. When you then use the gradient on the mask, it overwrites the previous selection-based mask. There are two ways to get around this:

1) Save you selection before creating the adjustment layer, so that you can reload the selection after creasting the adjustment (but before using the gradient).

2) Do exactly as you tried before, only change the mode of the gradient to "Darken" so that it doesn't overwrite the previously masked out areas (which are already black).

To me #2 is easier and quicker.

Thanks very much, #2 did the trick!

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up