Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High ISO of 5d mk2 compared to Nikon D3/D700  (Read 5002 times)

ChrisJR

• http://
High ISO of 5d mk2 compared to Nikon D3/D700
« on: November 26, 2008, 09:55:58 am »

I've been shooting with a Canon 1d mk3 for the last year but need something higher resolution but also with better high ISO capability. I've had a quick play with the D3 which I really liked but haven't tried a D700.

Now the 5d mk2 is available and some people have got copies, how is the ISO? I used to own a 5D so a comparison between the two would be interesting but more interesting would be a comparison between the 5d2 and D700/D3.

Another point of concern is the D3 doesn't have the dust vibration system. I've found it incredibly useful with the 1d3 but do the D3 users out there have serious problems with dust?

Btw, I don't really need anything more than 12mp full-frame for my photography as a lot of my work is stitched together.

I'm looking at buying a new camera around January next year and am seriously thinking about switching to Nikon but just want to be sure about a few things.

Thanks
Chris
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 09:59:14 am by ChrisJR »

Panopeeper

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 12:32:21 pm »

Quote from: ChrisJR
I don't really need anything more than 12mp full-frame for my photography as a lot of my work is stitched together
In that situation I would not hesitate buying the D3 or the D700, according to the needed features. I guess their price will come down due to the 5D2, and if Nikon finally comes out with a high pixel count version (allegedly due any day), then the D3/D700 prices will be stumbling, I guess.

However, keep in eyes, that the D3/D700 do not pose high requirement to the lens re resolution, but the edge softness can become a problem with FF. You may need the best lenses (Nikon is better than Canon at the wide end anyway, according to tests).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 12:36:08 pm by Panopeeper »
Gabor

ChrisJR

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 02:41:16 pm »

Quote from: Panopeeper
In that situation I would not hesitate buying the D3 or the D700, according to the needed features. I guess their price will come down due to the 5D2, and if Nikon finally comes out with a high pixel count version (allegedly due any day), then the D3/D700 prices will be stumbling, I guess.

However, keep in eyes, that the D3/D700 do not pose high requirement to the lens re resolution, but the edge softness can become a problem with FF. You may need the best lenses (Nikon is better than Canon at the wide end anyway, according to tests).
I'm thinking the D3 or D700 are the way to go for now, most likely the D3. I remember when I had my 5D it was quite demanding on the edges but from what I've seen the wide angle primes/zooms and even regular zooms from Nikon are a LOT better than the ones from Canon (my 24-105 is horrendous around the edges of the frame).

Anders P

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 02:07:17 pm »

I use a D3 for my work, which mainly is architectural photography. I am now switching from Nikon to a Canon 5DMII. One of the features, among others, I look forward to getting is the dust vibration system. I keep getting a lot of dust on my D3s sensor regardless of having my 24mm PC lens and the body cleaned several times...and I don´t switch lenses very often when shooting... Even the guy at the camera shop can´t figure out where the dust keeps coming from.

efgm

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 02:44:39 am »

I don't consider the D3/D700 as really the best value even if you are stitching. Downsizing a 5d2 file to the equivalent D3/D700 dimensions at the same ISO with appropriate noise reduction gives you markedly more detailed files and similar noise.  The  5d2 holds on to more details at ISO800 and beyond in comparison to the 1ds3 for instance. You will find that in an apples to oranges high ISO comparison, the 5d2 will lose to D3/D700, but overall you'll get a better file after processing than you ever could with a D3/D700 for not much more $$$. People are using Nikon wides with EOS adapters with great success too.

If Nikon gives you a significant price drop then perhaps, but after spending that much on a body you'd surely wonder about all that stitching you're doing to compensate the lack of megapixels IMO.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 02:48:05 am by efgm »

ChrisJR

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 10:17:13 am »

I had been thinking about getting a 5d mk2 but after having a 5d previously I'm put off the 5d2. There's no doubt it's a good camera but the Nikon's feel tougher and also the lenses which I'm after, namely the 24-70 f2.8 and 14-24 f2.8 are so much better than what's available from Canon (I had a 24-70 and 24-105 previously and they were sharp in the middle but shit even on a 1.3 crop body around the edges).

I also need the camera by mid January latest before I go travelling for a month. If I could get the 16-9 adapter before then I might reconsider my options but if it's being made in China who knows when it'll be manufactured  
Pages: [1]   Go Up