Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digicam for a day  (Read 1729 times)

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Digicam for a day
« on: November 25, 2008, 10:10:14 am »

So last wednesday I headed out for my first backcountry ski tour of the season.  I was planning an 8 mile tour with about 1000 feet of climbing, so I dispensed with my 30D and 24-70 L lens.  Instead, I packed my cute little compact G9 digicam.  It was light and easy.  

I headed out and began taking pictures after about 30 minutes of climbing.  I might have started taking pics more because I was tired and less because there was anything inspiring.  But, the first major snow of a season is always pretty inspiring, and as I spent more time and gained more elevation, I found myself stopping frequently to whip-out my easy little camera.  By the time I reached the top of the mountain, I had taken hundreds of shots.  I was having a lot of fun with the little camera.

When I got home, I downloaded the images and started parsing through them.  The problem started when I realized that I shot mostly jpeg instead of raw.  Typically, I shoot raw with this little camera, but because of the day's bright snowy conditions, I decided to shoot aperture priority.  I didn't realize that you had to set the file output type for every mode.  Oops.  

So I start working on the images...stitching panoramas.  I was exceedingly unhappy with the images.  Between flaky white balance and poor dynamic range in the brightly lit snowy conditions, I was really irritated.  I know I can deal with the white balance by shooting raw the next time, but the lack of dynamic range really annoyed me.  I also found that the sharpness and detail was far inferior to my 30D.  It isn't a subtle difference to me.  I was really disappointed.

I guess I have become spoiled.  Before I had the 30D, I used a Pro-1 and was pretty satisfied with the image quality out of it.  I am not sure if I can ever really go back.  The sharpness, color and dynamic range of the DSLR has ruined me forever.  I will certainly take the G9 out when I really need to go light, but I will never have the expectation of getting many truly great shots with it.

Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Digicam for a day
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 10:14:35 am »

Best shot of the day.

Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Digicam for a day
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 03:44:46 am »

Quote from: fike
The problem started when I realized that I shot mostly jpeg instead of raw.

So I start working on the images...stitching panoramas.  I was exceedingly unhappy with the images.  Between flaky white balance and poor dynamic range in the brightly lit snowy conditions, I was really irritated.  I know I can deal with the white balance by shooting raw the next time, but the lack of dynamic range really annoyed me.  I also found that the sharpness and detail was far inferior to my 30D.  It isn't a subtle difference to me.  I was really disappointed.
How much of your unhappiness is due to your accidentally shooting jpegs? It may be that the comparison you're making with the 30D (with which I assume you shoot in raw) isn't fair.

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up