Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wide angle lens with close focusing capabilities  (Read 4429 times)

tetsuo77

Wide angle lens with close focusing capabilities
« on: November 22, 2008, 03:47:05 pm »

Hi there.
I´m looking for a wide angle [circa 14mm] lens suitable for the KAF2 mount, which has close focusing capabilities. Now, even if they do not exist on other mounts, I can precisely recall the existence of one Pentax DA lens which can focus as close as 5cm, even if the lens doesn´t say so. I know, I know that it looks surreal, but it does exist. I don´t know if it is the DA14 F2.8 or the DA 16-45 F4 the one which does that. Any clues?

I wouldn´t care about having any other type of K mount, brand, or nationality [be it Zeiss, Jena, Zenithar, Industar, Helios, Jupiter, Kiev, Cosina-Voightlander, Tamron, Kiron, Sigma, Vivitar, Komine; they will all give focus confirmation on a Pentax DSLR], or M42 lens.

I do recall seeing a comment about this -think Mike Johnston said it-, but I don´t know where and which lens was.

Thank you on beforehand.

PS: Yep, architectural model photography it is.

Er1kksen

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 11:51:44 am »

Quote from: tetsuo77
Hi there.
I´m looking for a wide angle [circa 14mm] lens suitable for the KAF2 mount, which has close focusing capabilities. Now, even if they do not exist on other mounts, I can precisely recall the existence of one Pentax DA lens which can focus as close as 5cm, even if the lens doesn´t say so. I know, I know that it looks surreal, but it does exist. I don´t know if it is the DA14 F2.8 or the DA 16-45 F4 the one which does that. Any clues?

I wouldn´t care about having any other type of K mount, brand, or nationality [be it Zeiss, Jena, Zenithar, Industar, Helios, Jupiter, Kiev, Cosina-Voightlander, Tamron, Kiron, Sigma, Vivitar, Komine; they will all give focus confirmation on a Pentax DSLR], or M42 lens.

I do recall seeing a comment about this -think Mike Johnston said it-, but I don´t know where and which lens was.

Thank you on beforehand.

I don't know personally, but with the vast number of lenses made by or for pentax over time I'm sure there must be something to fit your needs. You might want to check out some of the better pentax forums online, as most of the users here are more geared towards Canon and Nikon and may not be able to answer your question.

tetsuo77

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 09:13:56 pm »

Quote from: Er1kksen
I don't know personally, but with the vast number of lenses made by or for pentax over time I'm sure there must be something to fit your needs. You might want to check out some of the better pentax forums online, as most of the users here are more geared towards Canon and Nikon and may not be able to answer your question.

Hi there.
Solved. Thank you Er1kksen. I mainly wrote here because there still are a good amount of medium format shooters there.
Some recommended a Zeiss 18mm.
Surprise, surprise:
the DA 14 2.8 can focus up to 2.5 cm from the front element, 14cm from the sensor plane. That is a truly remarkable achievement. So far, problem solved. Now, I have to get and find a good deal for it [it is not a cheap lens, specially "in this troubled times" -I love saying that-]. That or the 12-24 make a very good deal for it [this one is a stop slower, but it is more flexible as well].

Thank you though, and to be honest, it is really a pity market law is shrinking the players so fast.
Still, you know. "Be interesting".
PS: Er1kssen, check the digital primes of Pentax whenever you have time for it. Coupled with the K20D, the wide angles get stellar [and I truly mean it] results of both definition and rendering capabilities. One of the truly most amazing lenses I tried recently is the DA35 macro, which makes the Zeiss range forgetable. So, do not even consider to waste your money on the Zeiss glass for KA mount.

And if that is applicable for the ZF mount, then get yourself a KAF-AIS converter.

Disclaimer: "be interesting" is not my invention nor does it want to hurt anybody. It just a slogan from Pentax I find very amusing.

Cheers, and thanks again.

Er1kksen

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 06:25:14 pm »

I wondered about the 14mm, but for some reason I thought it probably wouldn't have the close-focusing capabilities, so I didn't bother to check.

Actually, I've been reading up quite a bit on the DA limiteds lately, I just wish there were a camera store around here that carried a couple... I got to try out the FA 50 on a K200D the other day, but nice as that one is, I'm sure it doesn't quite measure up... someday when I've got the cash, I'd love to grab some of the limiteds. When I get my K20D, it'll probably only have my old SMC-C 50mm f2 manual-focus lens for a couple months. Not the most flexible lens setup ever, but short teles are my favorite, and my old film prints do seem to show a bit more "magic" with that lens than most of my others.

John Clifford

• http://
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 08:57:43 pm »

Since you're using the Pentax K-mount, why not pick up some manual extension tubes?

Yes, you'll have to focus manually, and set aperture manually, but you probably do that anyway.
'Do you think a man can change his destiny?'
'I think a man does what he can until his destiny is revealed.'

tetsuo77

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 12:46:31 pm »

When I get my K20D, it'll probably only have my old SMC-C 50mm f2 manual-focus lens for a couple months. Not the most flexible lens setup ever, but short teles are my favorite, and my old film prints do seem to show a bit more "magic" with that lens than most of my others.

I still hope the "three kings" will bring a DA 14 over by christmas time.
Thank you very much for your answer.

If money is not a problem, I´d recommend the old FA limiteds over the new ones, if "film magic" is the thing you´re looking after. Obviously the FA 31mm [which I still have to try] has all the fame. Let´s get to the less famous siblings, and that includes the FA 43 1.9.

Be carefull, though, because mine decided to disassembly itself recently [and I still have to contact the repairshop for it].

The FA 43 is a different brethen of a lens, as it is not a wider 50 [has not the same lens design], and thus, it is very different in rendering AND flare resistance. Very, very, very, very sharp [actually, the sharpest of all Pentax lenses to date], and a very distinctive rendering [sometimes, harsh].

The 43 is just a tad wider than the 50 [75mm for the 20d, versus the 64.5 of the 43 mm]. I found it usefull that way.

edit goes on, social calls required a rapid "add post" ; )

The FA43 Limited is a kind of a weirdo lens. Photozone does not love it, although it says it is for its premium price. Thing is, the 43 has a special characteristic -get the new black series, the older ones with lead glass has worse results- as for 3d rendering and microcontrast that makes one of the most desireable lenses around, and the very focal length is more suitable than it seems: just a little bit wider than the 50, and just a little bit narrower than the fast 35 and 40´s. I hope to see it reviewed AS SCIENTIFIC REVIEW at dpreview in primes -although it is not going to happen, it is not a canonikon lens-. Other advantages include the petite size of it -smaller than the fast FA 50 by quite some, and it is not a pancake lens- and built in sun hood [which also serves any 49mm thread lens, by the way]. I do always recommend to try it, and it is a very good lens for snowy environments.

The other two limited lenses I tried are the 70´s: both FA77 and DA70 [the DA is still a full frame lens, don´t be mistaken by the designation]. The first one is better overall, but the latter is a better allrounder [price included].

Sorry to say that this side of the 645 and 67 lenses, there is very little to be able to get any close to the fast pentax primes.

By the way, another k mount lens recommendation: the 75-320 zoom. It is cheaply made, plasticky AND wobbles like a second world war Hawker-Siddeley people carrier. But once stopped a little bit down [half a stop], you can get spectacular results. It is quite resistant to flare, and resolution is far beyond expected.. Very, very good microcontrast ideal for streetscapes.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 02:26:14 pm by tetsuo77 »

tetsuo77

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 02:32:24 pm »

Quote from: John Clifford
Since you're using the Pentax K-mount, why not pick up some manual extension tubes?

Yes, you'll have to focus manually, and set aperture manually, but you probably do that anyway.

Thank you very much, John, for the idea.
The main problem of the bellows is it´s nature. Let me explain.
Model photography is NOT macro photography. The very narrow DOF you can get for macro photography is great for it, but is dreadful for model photography. In this case, you don´t -I don´t- want to isolate anything but the very background, not a detail of the model. That is the reason I want a lens with close focus capabilities, not a macro lens.

The second biggest problem is the handling of the camera. It is a very tight space and artificial lighting you will be working with. Hence, usually, you want to shoot tethered and have as little camera within the model as possible. That means that [and I still use a *ist DS for that job, and it handles glue stains and epoxy drops beautifully] using your hand upfront is not something you really want to do [you can easily damage the model].

I thought about that, but is not really an option. Thank you though for the answer.

All the best, and cheers!!!!

Er1kksen

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 08:53:17 pm »

If money is not a problem, I´d recommend the old FA limiteds over the new ones, if "film magic" is the thing you´re looking after. Obviously the FA 31mm [which I still have to try] has all the fame. Let´s get to the less famous siblings, and that includes the FA 43 1.9.

By the way, another k mount lens recommendation: the 75-320 zoom. It is cheaply made, plasticky AND wobbles like a second world war Hawker-Siddeley people carrier. But once stopped a little bit down [half a stop], you can get spectacular results. It is quite resistant to flare, and resolution is far beyond expected.. Very, very good microcontrast ideal for streetscapes.

Sadly, money is EXACTLY the problem. Someday, when I have money, some of those limiteds are certainly on my list.

I'll have to check out that zoom, I've been looking for a cheap tele option...

jfsavage

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 11:02:23 am »

Hi there.

Thank you on beforehand.

I have the 10-17 fisheye zoom and I'm very impressed. At the 10mm end, it is a true fisheye, which is very difficult to work with, but can produce some great images that do not appear to be from a fisheye lens. At the 17mm end it is an ultrawide with barrel distortion that can be compensated for in PTLens. It focuses very, very close. The 5 inch close focus is misleading, as that distance is from the film plane. In practice the close focus is less than an inch from the lens; you have to be careful not to hit the front element against the subject.

tetsuo77

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 05:58:59 pm »

Sadly, money is EXACTLY the problem. Someday, when I have money, some of those limiteds are certainly on my list.

I'll have to check out that zoom, I've been looking for a cheap tele option...

Sorry, sorry.
The lens is the 80-320 4.5-5.6 [the other is a FAJ lens, and this is a FA lens]. Get it in black, as the "golden" version of it looks fairly cheap.
Please find attached some quick&dirty samples of it. Remember that this is a 6mp camera, and the first sample is... f32 [yep, the tryout was THAT quick´n´dirty].

I put two focal lengths [the extreme]. Standard ultraauto develpment in Lightroom 2. No gain, no loose. All but the last two shot at ISO 800. Apertures go from 32 to 5.6 and from 11 to 6.5 respectevely.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 06:05:41 pm by tetsuo77 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up