Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac Pro Quads  (Read 5237 times)

Justin_Russell

• http://
Mac Pro Quads
« on: November 19, 2008, 06:00:26 pm »

I am having issues with multiple Mac Pros w/Quad proc. in them. The Sinar software seems to be pretty glitchy. Most times when going from the live view to taking the snapshot it'll freeze up. This is not all the time mind you. I've read that there are issues with 5.6.1 not taking advantage of the multiple processors and I've also read that the Quads don't play nice with Capture Shop. Is there any truths to these statements and if so are there any fixes. Here are some of the facts about the computers I have been working on.
- Running Leopard 10.5.4
- Capture Shop 5.6
- Quad proc.

Thanks in advance,
-jr
------------------
Justin Russell
Mac Support Technician
Kohl's Corporation

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
Mac Pro Quads
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 09:55:23 pm »

Dear Justin,

I can't help further here. Could you provide our tech with a complete "System Profile"?

Thanks and best regards,
Thierry

Quote from: Justin_Russell
I am having issues with multiple Mac Pros w/Quad proc. in them. The Sinar software seems to be pretty glitchy. Most times when going from the live view to taking the snapshot it'll freeze up. This is not all the time mind you. I've read that there are issues with 5.6.1 not taking advantage of the multiple processors and I've also read that the Quads don't play nice with Capture Shop. Is there any truths to these statements and if so are there any fixes. Here are some of the facts about the computers I have been working on.
- Running Leopard 10.5.4
- Capture Shop 5.6
- Quad proc.

Thanks in advance,
-jr
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

Cfranson

Mac Pro Quads
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 09:50:46 am »

I am having issues with multiple Mac Pros w/Quad proc. in them. The Sinar software seems to be pretty glitchy. Most times when going from the live view to taking the snapshot it'll freeze up.
Justin,
This is a problem we've encountered with several clients and have been working with Sinar to try and resolve. What is your camera system setup?

Justin_Russell

Mac Pro Quads
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 10:20:31 am »

Here is some of the info. that I've gathered from the photographers along with thier assistants.
*First off it seems like 99% of the issues are coming from the setups using a 75 evolution back

- under the hardware setting they are using the P3 (camera body)
- CMV lens
- no sliding adaptor
- lc shutter
- the sensor pref. is off

Some other system software that they are running while using Capture Shop is CS2 Photoshop/Indesign,
Grab and Excel. Please keep in mind that I am the Mac Support tech at this location and have little experience
with camera's and thier software. I am learning quickly and appreciate any and all help.

if there is any other information i can provide please let me know.

Thanks again!

-- also on a side note I have read some things like taking more then 25 shots might make the software freeze up.
   what are your thoughts on this?

-jr
------------------
Justin Russell
Mac Support Technician
Kohl's Corporation

thsinar

Mac Pro Quads
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 10:33:20 am »

Dear Justin,

a "system profile" would really be helpful as well, together with any "crash log" if it happens that CS crashes.
Send it to your dealer.

Thierry

Here is some of the info. that I've gathered from the photographers along with thier assistants.
*First off it seems like 99% of the issues are coming from the setups using a 75 evolution back

- under the hardware setting they are using the P3 (camera body)
- CMV lens
- no sliding adaptor
- lc shutter
- the sensor pref. is off

Some other system software that they are running while using Capture Shop is CS2 Photoshop/Indesign,
Grab and Excel. Please keep in mind that I am the Mac Support tech at this location and have little experience
with camera's and thier software. I am learning quickly and appreciate any and all help.

if there is any other information i can provide please let me know.

Thanks again!

-- also on a side note I have read some things like taking more then 25 shots might make the software freeze up.

-jr
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

Cfranson

Mac Pro Quads
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 10:38:30 am »

There does seem to be a relationship with volume of shooting and Captureshop freezing. I usually encounter an issue around 11 to 12 captures. There has also been a firmware update for the evolution 75 dating from early June, so if you haven't applied the update, that's the best place to start. Captureshop 5.6.1 does not use multiple CPUs or cores but I would suggest updating that too. In general, it's a bit more stable.

Justin_Russell

Mac Pro Quads
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 11:18:11 am »

I heard about 5.6.1 not taking advantage of the extra processors. I spoke with one of the Photo Directors and they don't do batch processing so maybe the 5.6.1 will be a step in the right direction. Getting back to the # of photo's taken before freezing, are those 12-13 utilizing a contact sheet? Are photographers are using contact sheets while trying to keep their shots to 24-25. Also, after the 12-13 are taken is there a need to restart Capture Shop?
------------------
Justin Russell
Mac Support Technician
Kohl's Corporation

Cfranson

Mac Pro Quads
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 12:15:17 pm »

Getting back to the # of photo's taken before freezing, are those 12-13 utilizing a contact sheet? Are photographers are using contact sheets while trying to keep their shots to 24-25. Also, after the 12-13 are taken is there a need to restart Capture Shop?
Yes, that number is using the contact sheet. We strongly recommend to clients that they use the contact sheet, otherwise the files are not automatically saved. After 11-12-13 captures, Captureshop generally goes unresponsive, generally requiring a force quit and a reboot of the computer. It should be noted that this is due in some part at least to an Apple bug which appears won't be fixed before 10.6. Phase One's release notes indicate it has similar issues with firewire. Consequently, I'm not certain how much success the Sinar engineers will have in working around that problem, but they are trying.

thsinar

Mac Pro Quads
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 08:03:53 am »

FYI:

I have asked and been informed that Apple apparently did not yet fix this bug.

However, Sinar has developed a new Catureshop driver which does partly solve the problem.

@ Chris: do you have this CS driver 1.5.2.?

If not, please ask it from our tech at Sinar or tell me where I can send it (1.6 MB).

@ Justin: simply install this new driver. It will overwrite the old one, Try it out and let us know if it solves your problem.

Best regards,
Thierry
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

BJNY

Mac Pro Quads
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 08:31:36 am »

I didn't experience the problem a couple of months ago when I last used
eVolution75H/sliding back/p3/cmv lenses with CaptureShop on a multi-day ad project.

Just in case, thank you for sending the driver, Thierry.

Guillermo

Cfranson

Mac Pro Quads
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 09:31:59 am »

Quote from: thsinar
@ Chris: do you have this CS driver 1.5.2.?
Thierry, I've been working on this with Switzerland for months. Yes I do have the driver.

BJNY

Mac Pro Quads
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 05:06:38 pm »

Quote from: BJNY
eVolution75H/sliding back/p3/cmv

No hiccups whatsoever during two days of cosmetics / still lifes.
Octo-core 2.8GHz Leopard 10.5.5
eVolution75 Firmware 2.0 CaptureShop 5.6.1
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 08:08:39 pm by BJNY »
Guillermo

Justin_Russell

Mac Pro Quads
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 12:56:23 pm »

Where can i get this driver?
------------------
Justin Russell
Mac Support Technician
Kohl's Corporation

Cfranson

Mac Pro Quads
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 02:17:42 pm »

Where can i get this driver?
Justin,
Contact Colin King at Sinar Bron. I know that he is traveling right now but is getting email. cking (at) sinarbron.com.

Justin_Russell

Mac Pro Quads
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 05:17:24 pm »

Thanks Chris,
I actually just met him today. He's here checking out the studio.
------------------
Justin Russell
Mac Support Technician
Kohl's Corporation

thsinar

Mac Pro Quads
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 07:43:13 pm »

Dear Justin,

let me know if you do not get access to this driver.

Best regards,
Thierry

Thanks Chris,
I actually just met him today. He's here checking out the studio.
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

Justin_Russell

Mac Pro Quads
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 05:34:35 pm »

Hey Theirry,
I was able to get the driver. We are now running the Firmware 2.2 update, CS 5.6.2 Beta 8 and FireCamJ 1.5.2. This on the quads seem to be working fine for the moment.

Thanks for the help/info.
------------------
Justin Russell
Mac Support Technician
Kohl's Corporation

museumbrich4d

Mac Pro Quads
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 03:18:22 pm »

Where can we located the Captureshop driver 1.5.2? What was the reason for this driver? to run the quad processors?
How do we find out what is currently installed?

Thanks,

Hey Theirry,
I was able to get the driver. We are now running the Firmware 2.2 update, CS 5.6.2 Beta 8 and FireCamJ 1.5.2. This on the quads seem to be working fine for the moment.

Thanks for the help/info.

Cfranson

Mac Pro Quads
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 04:59:20 pm »

Quote from: museumbrich4d
Where can we located the Captureshop driver 1.5.2? What was the reason for this driver? to run the quad processors?
How do we find out what is currently installed?

Thanks,
You don't need the 1.5.2 driver with Captureshop 5.6.2 b8 and Firmware 2.2. I'd suggest contacting your dealer or distributor for the beta program but the 2.2 firmware is available for download from Sinar's website.
Pages: [1]   Go Up