Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture NX is THE best NEF convertor...in my opinion  (Read 45959 times)

howardm

Capture NX is THE best NEF convertor...in my opinion
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2009, 05:12:37 pm »

that simply means he's in agreement w/ what the other poster (jamesr) said.

MarkL

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2009, 12:45:30 pm »

I tried lightroom with all kinds of profiles (yes even the labs.adobe.com DNG profiles) and as much as I hate to see it, the NX2 colours are much better. For landscapes the difference is unimportant enough to mean I still use LR but for people and especially weddings, the NX2 converted tiffs are just a level above.

I just wish it wasn't such a horrible piece of software to use: slow, clunky, illogical and unstable

If I was a full time pro shooting portraits, fashion or weddings and needed good workflow I'd be in despair. Convert and catalogue every file manually in poorly put together software for best results or use streamlined workflow knowing the results are not what they could be.

howardm

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2009, 09:08:20 am »

on the other side of the coin, at least w/ the Adobe DNG profiles, you can use their profile editor and tweak it to your liking but I
hear what you're saying re: NX

MichaelAlanBielat

• http://www.MichaelAlanFineArt.com
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2009, 10:30:18 am »

I have probably tried out every RAW conversion software out there (or at least my brain thinks so) and have come to the conclusion that each one has something "special" that makes it hard for me to uninstall from my computer...

Lightroom for example has an absolutely gorgeous printing mechanism... Too bad it doesn't have soft proofing but it does a great job as-is. I also like Lightroom to rip through thousands of images very quickly so I can tag the gems. Their cataloging feature is also very good so I can meta tag my images and export my catalog in the same directory as my master image folder so I can always come back to my images at their current state. The DNG Profile Creator is also a nice tool for getting accurate default colors. http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/DNG_Profiles:Editor I did find that to be a little tricky to get the best results since they ask for very specific lighting to shoot the colorchecker in. I found that the Capture to Print videos do a better job of doing it via ACR/Photoshop. Anyways, it is a great way to calibrate your camera based on your specific camera and not an overall general profile covering all the cameras within your particular model. Each could be slightly different you know?

Aperture is only useful for me when making albums and books. Other than that, I can take it or leave it. The controls are a lot more harder to get to than Lightroom.

Phase One Capture One: This program knocked my socks off for skin tones. Chunky interface but well worth it. I also like how it renders landscapes quite nicely. Great for taking your favorites and giving them a nice edit.

Capture NX2: Awesome for landscapes! I find myself taking my favorite handful of shots and running them through here. I am in love with their control points! This and Capture 1 are usually what I make my final image with. That means, the editing and exporting is all done through those programs. I would recommend Vincent Versace's Unleashing The Power of NX2 video available via Acme Educational

I shoot Nikon by the way and have some D700s and a D90 for video experiments... Just my two cents about various RAW editing software out there. There are a bunch more but I found myself leaning towards the more well known ones.

James R

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2009, 12:13:04 pm »

Quote from: MichaelAlanBielat
I have probably tried out every RAW conversion software out there (or at least my brain thinks so) and have come to the conclusion that each one has something "special" that makes it hard for me to uninstall from my computer...

Lightroom for example has an absolutely gorgeous printing mechanism... Too bad it doesn't have soft proofing but it does a great job as-is.

Maybe Jeff Schewe can tell us if LR will be adding soft-proofing to its next major or minor upgrade?  It is suppose to be added in the near future.  That would make the print mod even better.

MichaelAlanBielat

• http://www.MichaelAlanFineArt.com
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2009, 04:25:58 pm »

Quote from: James R
Maybe Jeff Schewe can tell us if LR will be adding soft-proofing to its next major or minor upgrade?  It is suppose to be added in the near future.  That would make the print mod even better.

That's a big 10-4 there buddy. I am hoping that Lightroom also adds a book/page creation module. That would be the bee's knees and then I can finally say goodbye to Aperture.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up