Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 90mm Tamron macro vs 120mm Mamiya M645 macro  (Read 4438 times)

PhotoTurbo

90mm Tamron macro vs 120mm Mamiya M645 macro
« on: November 17, 2008, 04:22:02 am »

The Tamron 90mm macro is spectacular in the center (see MTF), so I used it to check out the Mamiya 120mm M645 macro - said to be right there with the Hassi and Contax 120 macros, which shouldn't be as sharp as the Tamron in the center but then they don't need to be given the MUCH larger negative.  Used a 40D and focused with LiveView, f/11.

Here's what I got:

Mamiya

Tamron

100% (I did have to shrink the 120mm image in PS a bit due to not getting the size quite right to match the 90mm):

Mamiya

Tamron

Overall they're pretty close, tough call on the quarter at 100%.  On the penny it seems the Mamiya wins on the left side, but the Tamron definitely is better on the right side.  Perhaps the DSLR body wasn't centered on the MF lens on my Cambo Ultima 35 test rig, since I just eyeballed the alignment and haven't made a proper mounting block for the 40D yet.

The Mamiya appears to have more contrast, but it's due to minor exposure differences.  The blown-out highlights look similar, but are slightly smaller in the Mamiya shots.

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 08:11:47 am »

Quote from: PhotoTurbo
Overall they're pretty close, tough call on the quarter at 100%.  On the penny it seems the Mamiya wins on the left side, but the Tamron definitely is better on the right side.  Perhaps the DSLR body wasn't centered on the MF lens on my Cambo Ultima 35 test rig, since I just eyeballed the alignment and haven't made a proper mounting block for the 40D yet.

The Mamiya appears to have more contrast, but it's due to minor exposure differences.  The blown-out highlights look similar, but are slightly smaller in the Mamiya shots.
Given that the Mamiya must project a greater image circle to cover medium format, I think it displays excellent performance on such a small tight-packed sensor as the 40D has.

So if you have a Mamiya MF camera and a 135-format or smaller camera with live view, it appears that you can do well with the Mamiya lens and an adapter, you'll get decent macro shots.  Well, of static subjects, anyway.
Jan

Slough

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 08:34:13 am »

Most macro lenses perform well, especially when stopped down a bit. I never liked the Tamron lens despite the fact that it is sharp. Contrast and colour rendition were not to my taste. Neither were the plastic 58mm filter thread and annoying AF/MF clutch mechanism.
Pages: [1]   Go Up