Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eizo ColorEdge CG301W  (Read 11331 times)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Eizo ColorEdge CG301W
« on: November 14, 2008, 11:13:09 pm »

I'm about to spring for a new wide gamut monitor.  While expensive I've decided I want the LED backlight technology for various reasons, and after using a 30" ACD for several years I would prefer not to readjust to a smaller screen size.

I can't find much about this particular model, although from the specs it seems nearly identical to the smaller ones.  Anyone heard of any downside to this particular model?

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Eizo ColorEdge CG301W
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 02:19:04 am »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
I'm about to spring for a new wide gamut monitor.  While expensive I've decided I want the LED backlight technology for various reasons, and after using a 30" ACD for several years I would prefer not to readjust to a smaller screen size.

I can't find much about this particular model, although from the specs it seems nearly identical to the smaller ones.  Anyone heard of any downside to this particular model?

CG301 has CCFL backlight. The only 30" LCD with RGB LED that comes to my mind is Samsung 30XL/LaCie 730.
All above mentioned have S-PVA type martix. Considering the size of these panels, I'd rather go Nec 3090WQXi with H-IPS - it has better viewing angle characteristic.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

stevephoto

Eizo ColorEdge CG301W
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 11:29:43 am »

Quote from: Czornyj
CG301 has CCFL backlight. The only 30" LCD with RGB LED that comes to my mind is Samsung 30XL/LaCie 730.
All above mentioned have S-PVA type martix. Considering the size of these panels, I'd rather go Nec 3090WQXi with H-IPS - it has better viewing angle characteristic.

Are you assuming the NEC has a better viewing angle compared to the Samsung 30XL or have you seen this for yourself when using both? The implementation of the panel is more important than the panel type.

Does anyone have hands on photo edit experience with the Samsung 30XL / 24XL, especially in comparison to NEC 2690 / 3090?

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Eizo ColorEdge CG301W
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 02:24:50 pm »

Quote from: stevephoto
The implementation of the panel is more important than the panel type.

That's not true. Every panel type has some limitations, no matter how good implemented. On S-PVA there's always some contrast variation when you'll change the viewing angle.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Eizo ColorEdge CG301W
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 01:09:33 am »

Wow.  Glad I didn't place the order.  I'm not sure where I associated Eizo with LED, but I'm guessing something at a photoshop world ... I guess I assumed all of the displays were LED.  Bad assumptions.  They don't say what the backlight is on the specification pages except for the EcoView(LED) display.

I guess I'll wait a while and see what shakes out next year - I think I would prefer the LED for the long run.  Not like my 30" ACD is doing a bad job for me. The apple is H-IPS as well?  I'll have to research this a little when I think about it again.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Eizo ColorEdge CG301W
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 05:25:03 am »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
Wow.  Glad I didn't place the order.  I'm not sure where I associated Eizo with LED, but I'm guessing something at a photoshop world ... I guess I assumed all of the displays were LED.  Bad assumptions.  They don't say what the backlight is on the specification pages except for the EcoView(LED) display.

I guess I'll wait a while and see what shakes out next year - I think I would prefer the LED for the long run.  Not like my 30" ACD is doing a bad job for me. The apple is H-IPS as well?  I'll have to research this a little when I think about it again.

Apple CD 30" has S-IPS panel. Nec 3090WQXi has newer H-IPS A-TW (Horizontal In Plane Switching witch Advanced True Wide polarizer), so it has better, deeper black (less black leaking). All these monitors (including Eizo) have CCFL backlight.

If you really want LED, then there's only Samsung/LaCie (S-PVA).
HP developed nice RGB LED DreamColor LP2480zx with H-IPS panel, but it's only 24" - maybe they'll announce 30" version later.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 05:25:45 am by Czornyj »

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
Eizo ColorEdge CG301W
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 08:55:54 am »

Apple CD 30" has S-IPS panel. Nec 3090WQXi has newer H-IPS A-TW (Horizontal In Plane Switching witch Advanced True Wide polarizer), so it has better, deeper black (less black leaking). All these monitors (including Eizo) have CCFL backlight.

If you really want LED, then there's only Samsung/LaCie (S-PVA).
HP developed nice RGB LED DreamColor LP2480zx with H-IPS panel, but it's only 24" - maybe they'll announce 30" version later.

Czorny,

OK, you've got me fooled into thinking you know far more about these displays than I do.  :-)

That given, what do you feel is the best display for photo work?
I'm not concerned much with viewing angle as it's just me and the monitor.  Key is ability to correlate the monitor to the printer.
Majority of my work is B&W, but I want color fidelity as well for the occasional color image and I've found that by optimizing the original color image (HD3II-39) I get a better B&W conversion.

I'm currently using two Dell Ultra Sharp 2405 FPW's displays.

Frankly, they are not able to come close to the print image let alone match each other!

I use the X-Rite Pulse DP-20 to calibrate the monitors and build my own print profiles/environments, but the monitors will just not come up to range I should be getting.

Printer RIP is the latest ColorBurst 5.8.5 flavor.

Jack

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Eizo ColorEdge CG301W
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 10:10:52 am »

Quote from: Lust4Life
Czorny,

OK, you've got me fooled into thinking you know far more about these displays than I do.  :-)

That given, what do you feel is the best display for photo work?
I'm not concerned much with viewing angle as it's just me and the monitor.  Key is ability to correlate the monitor to the printer.
Majority of my work is B&W, but I want color fidelity as well for the occasional color image and I've found that by optimizing the original color image (HD3II-39) I get a better B&W conversion.

I'm currently using two Dell Ultra Sharp 2405 FPW's displays.

Frankly, they are not able to come close to the print image let alone match each other!

I use the X-Rite Pulse DP-20 to calibrate the monitors and build my own print profiles/environments, but the monitors will just not come up to range I should be getting.

Printer RIP is the latest ColorBurst 5.8.5 flavor.

Jack

I get decent results with 2190UXi and 2690WUXi, Spectraview II profiler and i1pro spectro. New 3090WQXi and 2690WUXi2 seem to be appealing, too. AFAIK Eizo CG are also very precise, solid and reliable, but they are just much more expansive, plus they are equipped with S-PVA panels (except CG19, CG211 and CG221 equipped with very good, Hitachi AS-IPS) - personally I prefer IPS type panels. There are also very interesting Quato Intelli Proof monitors, but they're really pricey.

stevephoto

Eizo ColorEdge CG301W
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 02:18:07 pm »

That's not true. Every panel type has some limitations, no matter how good implemented. On S-PVA there's always some contrast variation when you'll change the viewing angle.
yes, i can read specs and all about S-PVA vs H-IPS all over the net, but is your information from those places, or have you used a Samsung XL series monitor yourself?

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Eizo ColorEdge CG301W
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 02:45:19 pm »

yes, i can read specs and all about S-PVA vs H-IPS all over the net, but is your information from those places, or have you used a Samsung XL series monitor yourself?

I've never seen Samsung XL, but I've tested Eizo CG241 and SX3031, that have same panels like XL24 and XL30. No matter what S-PVA panel, they more or less behave in a similar way as a rule - when you change the viewing angle, you can observe slight contrast changes. Black point is a different story, S-PVA type panels are superior in this respect.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 02:45:50 pm by Czornyj »

stevephoto

Eizo ColorEdge CG301W
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 05:37:18 am »

I've never seen Samsung XL, but I've tested Eizo CG241 and SX3031, that have same panels like XL24 and XL30. No matter what S-PVA panel, they more or less behave in a similar way as a rule - when you change the viewing angle, you can observe slight contrast changes. Black point is a different story, S-PVA type panels are superior in this respect.

Eizo do NOT do LED monitors, so you cannot compare them to the Samsung XL24 and XL30 which are LED. As it happens certainly the Eizo CG241 is an excellent monitor, probably the most popular one that Eizo does, and whilst viewing from a position off to one side of that monitor would introduce uniformity issues, if you view the monitor from a photo editing position ( centre - not from the side), you would see no uniformity issues at all.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 05:38:09 am by stevephoto »

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Eizo ColorEdge CG301W
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 06:07:26 am »

Eizo do NOT do LED monitors, so you cannot compare them to the Samsung XL24 and XL30 which are LED.
OMG - what difference does it make? Backlight's only backlight - no mater if LED or CCFL, it doesn't affect viewing angles at all.

As it happens certainly the Eizo CG241 is an excellent monitor, probably the most popular one that Eizo does, and whilst viewing from a position off to one side of that monitor would introduce uniformity issues, if you view the monitor from a photo editing position ( centre - not from the side), you would see no uniformity issues at all.

My second tool-panel is S-PVA Samsung, that is only 21", but even here I can observe slight contrast change (from a normal position). With 30" it'll be worse - not really a big deal, but I'd rather took IPS-type 30".

stevephoto

Eizo ColorEdge CG301W
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 06:44:34 am »

OMG - what difference does it make? Backlight's only backlight - no mater if LED or CCFL, it doesn't affect viewing angles at all.

My second tool-panel is S-PVA Samsung, that is only 21", but even here I can observe slight contrast change (from a normal position). With 30" it'll be worse - not really a big deal, but I'd rather took IPS-type 30".

There are different variations between exactly the same product, so it is definitely going to only make sense to base any view of a specific bit of equipment on seeing and using that bit of equipment and knowing it is representative of the model and properly set up!

A 30" PVA of any type is more liable to have some uniformity issues simply because of those extra few inches, but a current generation 24" PVA like the Eizo 241 used from a central position should not cause any issues with photo editing.

I am still keen to know was if anyone has had hands on experience of using a Samsung XL24 or XL30 and could provide a knowledgeable assessment of those monitors, be it negative or positive.

There was a time people knew the earth was flat, then some naive person tried to sail over the edge and made a discovery!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 06:48:41 am by stevephoto »
Pages: [1]   Go Up