Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Extracting jpg from raw  (Read 11044 times)

allenbirnbach

Extracting jpg from raw
« on: November 08, 2008, 11:32:35 am »

I thought I saw a posting on the Luminous Landscape site recently about a software that would extract the jpg from the Canon raw file. Now I cannot find it.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

francois

Extracting jpg from raw
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 02:34:07 pm »

« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 02:12:41 am by francois »
Francois

The View

Extracting jpg from raw
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 12:08:15 pm »

In Canon DPP:

1: set work space to color space you want the jpeg to be in (e.g. sRGB). Don't forget to set the work space back to your usual settings, or your next export to Photoshop will be in that color space (switch on "color space warnings in Photoshop")

2. select images

3. choose Batch convert (Command B on the mac)

4. Batch convert dialogue opens. choose your settings, choose destination, click execute.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

DarkPenguin

Extracting jpg from raw
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 03:56:33 pm »

Is that extracting the embedded jpeg or just creating a new one?

The View

Extracting jpg from raw
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 11:04:04 pm »

It's for converting RAW images to JPEGs.

I never use the embedded JPEG feature and shoot RAW only.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Richowens

Extracting jpg from raw
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 12:29:11 am »

No, it does not convert RAWS to JPEG. It Extracts the JPEG embedded in the RAW, makes a copy , creates a subfolder in the same folder as your RAWS and places the JPEG there. To use it all you have to do is right click on a RAW or select a group of RAWS and select IJFR and click extract.

Simple, easy and painless.

Rich

The View

Extracting jpg from raw
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 05:08:53 pm »

Quote from: Richowens
No, it does not convert RAWS to JPEG. It Extracts the JPEG embedded in the RAW, makes a copy , creates a subfolder in the same folder as your RAWS and places the JPEG there. To use it all you have to do is right click on a RAW or select a group of RAWS and select IJFR and click extract.

Simple, easy and painless.

Rich

If you are referring to the 4-step process I described above, I don't think you are right.

The JPEGs I get from this process are very large, almost as large as the RAW file.

I also never use the RAW + JPEG option, but shoot RAW alone.

Or would you say that even if I shot RAW only, there would be a JPEG embedded in the RAW file? As far as I know that can't be, as a RAW file rather looks like a TIFF, which is very different from JPEG.

DarkPenguin

Extracting jpg from raw
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 05:34:06 pm »

He's referring to the post by francios.  That extracts the jpeg.  (You have one in there whether you shoot RAW+JPEG or not.)  Your method appears to be doing a new conversion...

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
Extracting jpg from raw
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 10:16:38 pm »

Quote from: The View
...Or would you say that even if I shot RAW only, there would be a JPEG embedded in the RAW file? As far as I know that can't be, as a RAW file rather looks like a TIFF, which is very different from JPEG.
Yes, there is a jpg embedded in the RAW file.  It's what you're looking at when you view the image on the camera's LCD.  

In addition to Michael Tapes's new utility mentioned upthread, BreezeBrowser Pro will also extract these embedded jpg's.

One moderately interesting way to use this feature is to shoot in RAW only with the camera set to B&W.

Nill

DarkPenguin

Extracting jpg from raw
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 11:29:19 pm »

As an aside Canon is pretty happy to hand out their SDK to anyone who wants it.  It is pretty easy to work with if you're a geek.  Just an FYI should anyone with visual studio have a hankerin to do some hackin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up