Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on Levels tool in Capture 1 4.5  (Read 4603 times)

Jeff Phillips

Question on Levels tool in Capture 1 4.5
« on: November 07, 2008, 02:09:01 pm »

Not sure I have this right - The top set points in the levels tool re-maps the highlights and shadows to the set values while the bottom points just set the white and black points - right?  Use the top when you know the proper values on the output device otherwise use the bottom like most other raw converters?  Tried the help file (manual) and P1 knowledge-base but it is still clear as mud to me...  Thanks for any help...
See my photos at: [url=http://www.fredmi

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 03:50:12 pm »

Think of the bottom sliders as input values and the top sliders as output values. When the top left (black point; output) is set to zero and your bottom left slider (black point; input) is set to 5, then all pixels with a value of 5 or less are mapped to zero. Conversely, if you set the input point to zero and the output point to 5, then all pixels with a value of 0 will be mapped to 5 (making the blacks "less" black).

Typically, the input sliders are set to values where you want pure black & white to be, and the top sliders are set to 0 & 255. This produces a full-range image. In some cases where you'd want a less contrasty look to an image, you'll set the output values to 20 & 235 for a soft, low contrast image.
~ CB

Jeff Phillips

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 08:42:04 am »

Quote from: Chris_Brown
Think of the bottom sliders as input values and the top sliders as output values. When the top left (black point; output) is set to zero and your bottom left slider (black point; input) is set to 5, then all pixels with a value of 5 or less are mapped to zero. Conversely, if you set the input point to zero and the output point to 5, then all pixels with a value of 0 will be mapped to 5 (making the blacks "less" black).

Typically, the input sliders are set to values where you want pure black & white to be, and the top sliders are set to 0 & 255. This produces a full-range image. In some cases where you'd want a less contrasty look to an image, you'll set the output values to 20 & 235 for a soft, low contrast image.

Thanks Chris - well put and crystal clear.
See my photos at: [url=http://www.fredmi
Pages: [1]   Go Up