Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dust inside Mamiya 50mm RZ ULD elements, how bad is this? (photos)  (Read 2289 times)

PhotoTurbo

Just received this used but "mint" Mamiya 50mm RZ67 ULD lens from an online dealer (not KEH, btw) for a decent price.  Description said "some internal dust but nothing that would effect image quality".

If I shine a flashlight through the lens there are lots of tiny particles spread evenly across the internal elements.  These don't worry me, but four of the dust particles are MUCH larger than the rest (chunks of something, as opposed to fine dust), am I paranoid to consider returning this lens?  And these particles aren't inside the front element, they're somewhere in the middle of the lens.  (really hard to tell where they're located) Having the lens disassembled and cleaned would wipe out most of my savings compared to a nice used one from KEH.

Here are photos of the larger three particles.

Particle in center of image circle:

Particle along edge of lens:

Another particle along edge of lens:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 01:44:11 am by PhotoTurbo »

PhotoTurbo

Dust inside Mamiya 50mm RZ ULD elements, how bad is this? (photos)
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 12:21:56 pm »

Forgot to mention; I can't take any test shots because I bought the lens for a Cambo Ultima 35 project I'm building. (don't own a MF body) I still have to make an RZ lens panel for the view camera, and the return period for the lens will expire before I have time to machine an adapter.

marcmccalmont

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 10:46:32 am »

depending on the price you paid I would return it or if the price was low enough have it cleaned by the MAC group or Focal point

http://www.macgroupus.com/index.asp
http://www.focalpointlens.com/fp_intro.html

Marc
Marc McCalmont

PhotoTurbo

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 12:58:06 pm »

By closing the shutter & using a flashlight I figured out where the particles are located; they'e pretty close to the front element (second or third surface back) so it's probably fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up