Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji S3 vs 1DS MARK II  (Read 5269 times)

Fuji S3 vs 1DS MARK II
« on: December 27, 2004, 06:53:54 am »

As I noted in the review, I did not do any resolution testing.

The files shown also had no sharpening applied, and so I would be very reluctant to make any judgements based on them. Their purpose was to illustrate DR not resolution.

As I noted in the review, S3 images appear very crisp and have high resolution. Whether or not they are better or worse than the 1Ds MKII will have to be up to someone else to test as I no longer have an S3 available to me for testing.

Michael

Simetra

Fuji S3 vs 1DS MARK II
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 02:16:28 pm »

Taken delivery of S3 today, not had time to put it through its paces yet, can't compare it with 1DS since I have never used one, but as for S2 which is a top camera, well this kit looks to have moved up several notches(although not as significant as between the S2 and S1). Got a busy week ahead so my tests will be a very practical "just getting on with using it" style. Will post comments soon.

reissme

Fuji S3 vs 1DS MARK II
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 01:07:58 pm »

Dear Simetra
Thanks for willing to compare S2 VS S3 and "post comments soon." I would like to see resolution comparison, of the same subject in the same conditions with the same lens (a small portions in 100% enlargments will do too). thanks for your comments.
Menachem Reiss                   www.reiss.co.il

reissme

Fuji S3 vs 1DS MARK II
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 10:10:33 am »

Dear Simetra
My email:  reissm@zahav.net.il
Thank you,
Menachem Reiss               www.reiss.co.il

Hank

Fuji S3 vs 1DS MARK II
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 02:15:54 pm »

Thanks for your last post Simetra.  Your comparisons to the S2 were especially helpful and informative to me, since that model is my own frame of reference.  I finally feel like I know what to anticipate from the S3.  I'm awaiting similar evaluations on D2X images before deciding which to buy, but you provided the much-needed details for half the decision.  After wading though lots of hype and dodgeball (Isn't that boring!) on the web, it's nice to encounter practical experience and common sense.  Keep it coming!

reissme

Fuji S3 vs 1DS MARK II
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2004, 01:55:54 am »

Thanks for S3 review, Michael.
In the "shed and corrugated aluminum" samples I can see more sharp details in the Fuji S3 crop than in the 16.61 1DS MARK II, bigger crop. is this due to lens difference or different focus placement of the Canon 1DS??? Is the Raw files of the S3, sharper than the Jpgs?
I have tested for resolution (lines per millimeter)(the old chart for lenses) from JPGS, the S3=32 lines ,S2=32 lines, Kodak DCS SLR/n=44 lines, Canon EOS 20D=36 lines. Do you know of comparison for resolution S3 vs 1DS MARK II ?
In my opinion the S3 is only real 7MP the same as S2 less than EOS 20D, but I will more than happy to see that it is 10MP to 11MP as you wrote, and Fuji made me belive in their 6MP+6MP=12MP ads. Please show me if you can.
Thank you in advance.
Menachem Reiss.      Web site:     WWW.REISS.CO.IL

Simetra

Fuji S3 vs 1DS MARK II
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2004, 02:43:36 pm »

Still using a S2, I am amazed the results that this camera produces . I have read with interest Michael's review of the S3. Despite all the talk of dynamic range, what would decide me to upgrade to a S3 is a marked resolution improvement. I have noticed that Fuji don't seem to stress that side of things in their brouchure for the camera. So will wait for more reviews or get my hands on one to try out

djgarcia

• http://improbablystructuredlayers.net
Fuji S3 vs 1DS MARK II
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2005, 11:11:00 am »

Actually, at least to my admitedly starting-to-fade eyes, the 1DsII image is noticeably darker than the C1-processed S3 image, which may affect perceived resolution.

DJ
Over-Equipped Snapshooter - EOS 1dsII &

Simetra

Fuji S3 vs 1DS MARK II
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2005, 03:29:55 pm »

I do not use any in camera sharpening when shooting, from my initial use the images from the S3 straight from the camera are sharper than the S2, even withotu un-sh-m. I have noticed though that there appears a more pronouced edge to any lines in images where the S2 tends to be smoother although less sharp, this increases with sharpening in Photoshop, with RAW files this does not seem to be a problem, this would appear to suggest that the fine-jpeg on the S3 shows more artifacts than I have had with the S2, having said all that, it is only apparent at extreme enlargment, say 250-300%. What is the best way to post images for you see?.
I did a portrait today shooting jpeg and with the dynamic range set on Auto, the results are stunning, I have added sharpening post production in photoshop, but  less than I would normally need for S2

Murph

Fuji S3 vs 1DS MARK II
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2005, 11:53:22 pm »

Anyone use this camera for landscape work yet?  Is it a real 12 mp, or a 6.1 faking it?  I got to handle one today in San Antonio at the Camera Exchange, and was impressed with how it felt.

Simetra

Fuji S3 vs 1DS MARK II
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2005, 07:49:44 am »

Who can say with a Fuji camera, since I don't have a really 12m camera to compare with, I can only go with what I've got. I suppose in away it is a 12m camera since it uses two types of 6m to provide the extended dynamic range, which it does very well.
As for image quality compared to S2, don't expect any great jump although there is an improvement, having said that, the S2 has always been a great camera for image quality. As I have mentioned the jpegs seem different to S2, don't recommend adding to much unsharp mask, have only just got the hyper-utility software onto my Mac(must have 10.3 to do so). The quality of image produced from RAW is far superior to jpeg based on initial tests, the software is slow and a pain to use but results are worth it, but only use if maximum image quality is a prime concern, for general use for say PR or Press images, the jpegs are more than acceptable those avoiding to much time with post-production.

Simetra

Fuji S3 vs 1DS MARK II
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2005, 12:58:42 pm »

Thats no problem Hank, I'm not one to do all sorts of technical tests, I just want get on with using it, if you like the S2 you will love what the S3 produces only you will wish it was the S2 doing it, does that make sense. Fuji have missed an opportunity to produce a cutting edge camera, its only a halfbaked(well maybe 3/4) update, roll on the S4

Still can't bring myself to shot RAW, I seem to have other things to do with my life after a big shot other than sit at the MAC for hours preparing the images with the HyperSlowHyperUtility(come on Fuji sort out this Software). If you get your exposures right and white balance at the time of shooting, then in most cases the jpegs are fine. BUT for the special shots that need max quality shoot RAW, pity FUJI has not given us dual RAW/jpeg shooting, maybe on the S4.
Pages: [1]   Go Up