Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ideal size of display .... comments welcome  (Read 4775 times)

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
Ideal size of display .... comments welcome
« on: November 04, 2008, 10:04:23 am »

I am looking to replace my aging monitor. I want to buy one that will carry me well into the next 5-6 years. While I've always purchased Apple monitors, I've been educated (on this site) that there are better brands on the market. The NEC LCD2690WUXi2-bk looks quite impressive, as does the NEC LCD3090WQXi-bk. If any of you have used wither of these, please give me your feedback. Or if any of you have other options/brands (under $2000 please), let me know that too.

But, here's my real question -- what size screen is ideal for image editing? While big is impressive, I wonder if a 30" screen would be overwhelming. I wear bifocal glasses, so I'm afraid that I'd strain my neck looking over the entire screen. On the other hand, I could purchase a pair of glasses for photo work on the monitor. But even beyond the issue with glasses, is a 30" screen too big for desktop viewing?

Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 11:07:46 am »

Quote from: bellimages
I am looking to replace my aging monitor. I want to buy one that will carry me well into the next 5-6 years. While I've always purchased Apple monitors, I've been educated (on this site) that there are better brands on the market. The NEC LCD2690WUXi2-bk looks quite impressive, as does the NEC LCD3090WQXi-bk. If any of you have used wither of these, please give me your feedback. Or if any of you have other options/brands (under $2000 please), let me know that too.

But, here's my real question -- what size screen is ideal for image editing? While big is impressive, I wonder if a 30" screen would be overwhelming. I wear bifocal glasses, so I'm afraid that I'd strain my neck looking over the entire screen. On the other hand, I could purchase a pair of glasses for photo work on the monitor. But even beyond the issue with glasses, is a 30" screen too big for desktop viewing?

The bigger, the better - you don't necessarily have to watch the whole surface of the screen at once, but you have plenty of room for your palletes, other applications, web browser, e-mail box etc, so you may have faster acces to all the tools you need. For example - I work on 2x21", and it's very convinient, 30" should be even better:
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 11:17:54 am »

After 10 minutes with a NEC 2690 and you'll wonder how you ever put up with a smaller monitor.  I suspect the same experience with a 30".   With CS4 and the larger turf that the adjustment panel takes up, I can easily see the value of the 30"

If your current glasses are OK, then a larger monitor isn't going to make you go out and get a new pair.  My experience is that for a monitor I do need separate glasses since I'd need to tip my head back to get the lower part of the lens on the screen - optimized for about 18-24 distance, not normal driving etc. distance as is the mid part of the lens.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 01:38:49 pm »

The Apple 30" is terrific - I love the size.  There are better monitors, but it's really good, and I don't know if I could give up the big screen.  I went from 2 23" monitors to 1 30" ... I like the single monitor better.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 03:34:06 pm »

Which of the three threads should we respond in?

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 08:09:59 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
Which of the three threads should we respond in?

Your call DarkPenguin. I'm glad that I responded in various forum, since I've got various answers. I don't feel any guilt, since I'm not costing the "owner" of the site any bucks -- typing on an electronic forum is free for all.
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image
Pages: [1]   Go Up