Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe CS4 Free Upgrade Grace Period only 1 month?  (Read 11654 times)

laughingbear

Adobe CS4 Free Upgrade Grace Period only 1 month?
« on: October 28, 2008, 10:26:17 pm »

I purchased CS3 in July this year, a few weeks later, on the 20th of August I upgraded to CS3 extended.

When CS4 was announced, I contaced Adobe and asked for a free upgrade, considering I payed over 1,100 euro within 6 weeks for the product already. The chap on the phone was favouring my request and agreed when I mentioned this to make sense in my case, but although he was an Adobe Rep, he had no say in the matter and had to ask his "manager".

Unfortunately we can not give you a free upgrade. Our apologies.

Now they want me to pay another 349 Euro ex VAT, I was told I was 4 days too late with my invoicing being 20th of August 2008. Her response took 6 days! Right.

I consider a grace period of 1 month not flexible enough and economically nonsense, apart from the european pricing issue that is well known and also wrong in my belief.

Needless to say that I am not a happy camper concerning this unflexible and way too tight policy. Adobe has been treated very well in Ireland in the past few years in deed, probably too well!

The combined 2007 turnover of both irish subsidiaries was @ $2.6 bn, yet, they only payed just $5m in Irish corporation tax, so an article in the Sunday Tribune by Ken Griffin, admittedly a while ago, but still, that was the case.

US SOFTWARE company Adobe’s two Irish subsidiaries had a combined turnover of $2.6bn last year yet paid just $5m in Irish corporation tax, according to new accounts.

The first subsidiary, Adobe Software Trading Company, made a pre-tax profit of $407m  yet paid only $2.1m in Irish corporation tax . . . an effective rate of 0.5%.

The second company, Adobe Systems Software Ireland, made a pre-tax profit of $36.3m and paid $2.9m in corporation tax, giving it an effective tax rate of 7.9%

In my view, for the most diverse software company on the planet, this grace period policy needs an update, pun intended.

May be worth mentioning, when I ordered my CS3  extended upgrade, they overcharged my Visa, the value charged was higher than what I was told by the sales chap on the phone. Only after a lengthy, massive and legally backed up intervention from my side they agreed to re imburse my Visa with the delta, but you do not want to know what it took, and with what arrogance I had to deal with. I am not saying this is Adobe typical, rather was my own unlucky experience with Adobe Ireland so far.

Enough said.... sorry for the vent, but and this is the main reason I am posting this, if you should know any different on grace period upgrades from CS3 to CS4 in Ireland, in other words had been granted the free upgrade whereby your invoice for CS3 was after the 15th of August 2008, I would be grateful to hear from you.

Best wishes,
Oceanviewstudio - Ireland
Georg Baumann
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 10:27:37 pm by laughingbear »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 10:48:49 pm »

Quote from: laughingbear
I consider a grace period of 1 month not flexible enough and economically nonsense, apart from the european pricing issue that is well known and also wrong in my belief.

Adobe's long standing policy is to offer free upgrades for previous versions only to those people who bought the previous version in the time frame AFTER the newer version was announced. That occurred Sept 23, 2008. Anybody who bought CS3 BEFORE Sept 23rd has to pay the full upgrade price to CS4. Adobe has been consistent with that policy for as long as I can remember (at least mid-1990's).

Anybody who has paid ANY attention to the digital imaging industry must have known that buying CS3 in July of this year was doing so very, very late in the upgrade cycle. The fact that you then upgraded to CS4 Extended just a month later was even closer to the announce date yet not after it, so, yes, your timing sucks...but that's really on you, not Adobe. And correct me if I'm wrong, but CS3 still runs, right? I mean Adobe didn't invalidate your purchase...

I would suggest you change your upgrade timing and get CS4 EARLY so you will have the maximum return time on your investment. But know, if you delay, you'll only shorten the time you'll be able to take advantage of CS4 before CS5 comes out. On average, it's 18 months between upgrades (CS2-CS3 was a special case because of Apple switching to Intel and Adobe's efforts to switch compilers took so long).

laughingbear

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 11:05:29 pm »

Quote from: Schewe
Adobe's long standing policy is to offer free upgrades for previous versions only to those people who bought the previous version in the time frame AFTER the newer version was announced. That occurred Sept 23, 2008. Anybody who bought CS3 BEFORE Sept 23rd has to pay the full upgrade price to CS4. Adobe has been consistent with that policy for as long as I can remember (at least mid-1990's).

I would suggest you change your upgrade timing and get CS4 EARLY so you will have the maximum return time on your investment. But know, if you delay, you'll only shorten the time you'll be able to take advantage of CS4 before CS5 comes out. On average, it's 18 months between upgrades (CS2-CS3 was a special case because of Apple switching to Intel and Adobe's efforts to switch compilers took so long).

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the info. I was not aware about that cycle and I am new to that business. I can only tell from the professional audio software world, there I am used to a quite different treatment as a licensed customer <shrugs> Call it wrong expectation.

I do understand that the timing sucked, would have been nice if the Adobe sales chap would have mentioned it to me instead of overcharging my Visa in the first place though. A single statement like; Are you aware about CS4 coming VERY soon... which I was not at this point, would have done the trick.

Shite happens.

Best,
Georg
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 11:05:54 pm by laughingbear »

artyfact

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 12:28:15 pm »

Hi Jeff,

Sort of in the current theme, I was about to buy/download the LL camera raw tutorial but since I just purchased CS4 and its in the mail, should I wait to see if you folks are going to put out a new one that matches camera raw in CS4 or is camera raw the same as in my CS2?

Thanks for your help.

Artyfact

artyfact

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 12:45:54 pm »

jeff,
Just read about camera raw in another post, so I can tell its going to be new. Same question though about downloading the tutorial...

Thanks,

Artyfact

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 07:33:06 pm »

Quote from: artyfact
I was about to buy/download the LL camera raw tutorial but since I just purchased CS4 and its in the mail, should I wait to see if you folks are going to put out a new one that matches camera raw in CS4 or is camera raw the same as in my CS2?

The plan is to do an update to the current Camera Raw tutorial that will only cover the NEW stuff in Camera Raw 5...basically the local tone & color and a couple of new things I can't talk about yet...not sure when we'll have time to shoot it but it will be a free update for anybody who has already purchased the current tutorial...

laughingbear

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 03:39:20 am »

Quote from: artyfact
jeff,
Just read about camera raw in another post, so I can tell its going to be new. Same question though about downloading the tutorial...

Thanks,

Artyfact

Hi Artyfact,

The intro and credits music lacks a bit of punch though, and rumour has it that Jeff's shirts are randomly created by some sophisticated code Michael wrote himself, so every single downloaded version will display Jeff in a different shirt. Amazing.

<grin> just kiddin....

On a serious note, just in case this should be your first LL tutorial, they are of high standard in deed, and besides entertaining, really useful information.

Best
Georg
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 03:41:50 am by laughingbear »

artyfact

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 11:45:22 am »

Thanks Jeff...off to down load the files....thought I saw a link to a disk...my download is not real fast

Laughingbear...sorry to hear about the shirts being just a rumor...  

Artyfact
Pages: [1]   Go Up