Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need reassurance on NEC LCD2690 purchase  (Read 5890 times)

walter.sk

Need reassurance on NEC LCD2690 purchase
« on: October 22, 2008, 11:26:07 am »

My old CRT (DiamondPro 2060u) has served me very well but is now ready to retire.  I've researched LCD widescreen monitors on this and other websites.  I have a very limited budget but am willing to break the piggy bank (with or without lipstick) for the NEC LCD2690WUX, and buy the Spectraview II software (I already have the colorimeter from the HPZ3100ps).  The advantages of this appear to me to be:

1: As good a display as could be expected for the price.
2: 93% of the Adobe RGB gamut.  
3: Wide enough screen to keep my pallettes open on the right side and still have room for the image.
4: The choice between hardware vs video-card adjustment for profiling.
5: A price of about $1200 before tax and delivery, which is about all I can go.

Are there other monitors that you know personally give greater value or performance for the above priorities?  I'm not necessarily looking to spend less money, but just to get the most professional results for the money I do spend.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 11:27:44 am by walter.sk »

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 02:30:58 pm »

Quote from: walter.sk
Are there other monitors that you know personally give greater value or performance for the above priorities?  I'm not necessarily looking to spend less money, but just to get the most professional results for the money I do spend.

Not a chance. Nec is the cheapest - comparable Eizo, Quato or LaCie panels are much more expansive.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

dkeyes

• http://
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 12:14:26 pm »

The new NEC 2690wuxi2 is out. From what the specs say, it's got a wider gamut than the older model (98% adobeRGB vs. 93%) and higher contrast (1000:1 vs. 800:1). Brightness is lower at 320cd/m2 compared to older model at 400cd/m2.

Of course, I just bought the "older" model but I'm still very happy with it. Don't imagine these specs would have made a large difference for me.

The View

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 09:55:09 pm »

Quote from: dkeyes
The new NEC 2690wuxi2 is out. From what the specs say, it's got a wider gamut than the older model (98% adobeRGB vs. 93%) and higher contrast (1000:1 vs. 800:1). Brightness is lower at 320cd/m2 compared to older model at 400cd/m2.

Of course, I just bought the "older" model but I'm still very happy with it. Don't imagine these specs would have made a large difference for me.

It has to dim down more than that.

Otherwise, it would hardly useable for photo editing.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 04:48:51 am »

Quote from: The View
It has to dim down more than that.

Otherwise, it would hardly useable for photo editing.

I suppose It'll still have some brightness control, so there's no need to worry
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa
Pages: [1]   Go Up