Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advise on LaCie 720 or Samsung XL24  (Read 6761 times)

mangel

• http://www.4mat.es
Advise on LaCie 720 or Samsung XL24
« on: October 20, 2008, 12:51:45 pm »

Hello.
 I am looking for a new monitor and I need advice to choose betwen the leds LCD LaCie 724 and  Samsung Xl 24. I think both are great, but apart from the price and specifications there is not much information. Any sugestion would be appreciated. Thanks.

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 12:54:12 pm »

I believe the Lacie model is a rebranded Samsung XL.

Gerald J Skrocki

mangel

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 03:07:57 pm »

I don´t know where I heard about LaCie 724 being a Samsung Xl24 , but I haven´t found any place where it confirms this. Besides LaCie´s specs claim to have better color gamut, about 123% adobe RGB. Other thing that worries me is  Samsung´s color profile software that seems to have failures.

jerryrock

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 05:53:07 pm »

Gerald J Skrocki

mangel

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 05:43:37 pm »

Thank you for your help, it seems there is no many people that have tried these monitors.

Serge Cashman

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 10:57:02 pm »

Check if your colorimeter is compatible with BlueEye (in case of Lacie) or Natural Color Expert (in case of Samsung). If you are already using a DDC-CI capable calibration package like Eye One Match or Coloreyes check with your software provider if they will work with the monitor in question via DDC-CI (Xrite calls it "push button calibration"). Be warned that most manufacturers have no clue about it.

In any case do what you can to ensure that you can calibrate your monitor using monitor LUTs and not the videocard LUTs - that's the main reason you pay so much for those monitors.

Here's a link that gives you an idea what colorimeters Samsung software works with:
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/learnin...p_download.html

Note that none of the Spyders and even older Xrites are on the list but Huey is - not a good sign. And as you might know software that comes with all Spyders is not DDC-CI compatible so SOL  for Datacolor customers (unless Coloreyes or Basiccolor work with those monitors, which would add several hundred dollars to the cost of the purchase).

Samsung goes even further and provides videocards compatibility list which is extremely thoughtful.
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/learnin...patibility.html

I haven't seen any BluEye compatibility charts (definitely works with regular EyeOne, not sure about LT, probably works with old Monacos and not sure about Spyders). Also, Lacie software is not available for trial download.

Nether Natural Color Expert nor BlueEye are particulary great pieces of software but at least you would know that you have something to fall back on in case other calibration software can't access internal monitor LUTs.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 11:25:29 pm by Serge Cashman »

jerryrock

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 09:08:57 am »

Quote from: Serge Cashman
Check if your colorimeter is compatible with BlueEye (in case of Lacie) or Natural Color Expert (in case of Samsung). If you are already using a DDC-CI capable calibration package like Eye One Match or Coloreyes check with your software provider if they will work with the monitor in question via DDC-CI (Xrite calls it "push button calibration"). Be warned that most manufacturers have no clue about it.

In any case do what you can to ensure that you can calibrate your monitor using monitor LUTs and not the videocard LUTs - that's the main reason you pay so much for those monitors.

Here's a link that gives you an idea what colorimeters Samsung software works with:
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/learnin...p_download.html

Note that none of the Spyders and even older Xrites are on the list but Huey is - not a good sign. And as you might know software that comes with all Spyders is not DDC-CI compatible so SOL  for Datacolor customers (unless Coloreyes or Basiccolor work with those monitors, which would add several hundred dollars to the cost of the purchase).

Samsung goes even further and provides videocards compatibility list which is extremely thoughtful.
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/learnin...patibility.html

I haven't seen any BluEye compatibility charts (definitely works with regular EyeOne, not sure about LT, probably works with old Monacos and not sure about Spyders). Also, Lacie software is not available for trial download.
itors.
Nether Natural Color Expert nor BlueEye are particulary great pieces of software but at least you would know that you have something to fall back on in case other calibration software can't access internal monitor LUTs.

Please note that the Samsung software will only work with the colorimeters that have been adapted (filtered) for their LED monitors.  
There is a larger probability that the Spyder3 colorimeter is compatible since it is filtered for LED backlit monitors. The commercial versions of i1 Display 2 and Huey are not.

Gerald J Skrocki

Serge Cashman

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 06:36:27 pm »

Quote from: jerryrock
Please note that the Samsung software will only work with the colorimeters that have been adapted (filtered) for their LED monitors.  
There is a larger probability that the Spyder3 colorimeter is compatible since it is filtered for LED backlit monitors. The commercial versions of i1 Display 2 and Huey are not.

Oh. I didn't realize they include their version of an i1 colorimeter in the package with the monitor. In that case you're stuck with their software and their version of i1. That's weird. Spyders definitely won't work because they don't have the drivers for them.

That really tips the scales toward Lacie. I can't imagine why you would want to have a color management solution that only works with certain Samsung monitors...

At the same time if that's the only monitor you are planning on using and you don't mind using Samsung's calibration solution for it it could be a good deal... I'll try their software on other monitors, see how it works. BlueEye works with other monitors for instance but unfortunately is not available for download.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 07:05:16 pm by Serge Cashman »
Pages: [1]   Go Up