Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Difference between PS CS3 and browsers under Vista...why?  (Read 7506 times)

sosojerk

Difference between PS CS3 and browsers under Vista...why?
« on: October 20, 2008, 09:39:46 am »

Hi,
Recently, I went into a strange problem.
As you can see in the images below, 1.jpg shows how my photo looks under PS CS3 and 2.jpg shows how it looks under Firefox, IE etc.
There is a big difference.
Does anyone know what is the issue here?1.jpg looks just good but 2.jpg is what people will see in browsers.
I am using PS CS3 under Windows Vista that I know has some issues related to color spaces.
The original image was shot under sRGB on a Nikon D300 and is THE SAME image in both screenshots.

Can you help me understand what is the problem here? And what do I have to do to my workflow to get the images look correctly under browser (since my work is located in the internet).

It never happened to me while using Nikon D70 + PS CS3 under Windows XP.
I got my laptop running Vista only + Nikon D300 in the same time.I suspect that my D300 is just fine, however post processing the images in CS3 under Vista generates this problem. Am I right or?

Thanks a lot.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 09:41:10 am by sosojerk »

Serge Cashman

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 02:42:50 am »

One  possibility is that when either opening or saving the file in Photoshop you convert it to a different profile. Check your PS color settings.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 03:10:25 am by Serge Cashman »

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 07:41:43 am »

Quote from: sosojerk
Hi,
Recently, I went into a strange problem.
As you can see in the images below, 1.jpg shows how my photo looks under PS CS3 and 2.jpg shows how it looks under Firefox, IE etc.
There is a big difference.
Does anyone know what is the issue here?1.jpg looks just good but 2.jpg is what people will see in browsers.
I am using PS CS3 under Windows Vista that I know has some issues related to color spaces.
The original image was shot under sRGB on a Nikon D300 and is THE SAME image in both screenshots.

Can you help me understand what is the problem here? And what do I have to do to my workflow to get the images look correctly under browser (since my work is located in the internet).

It never happened to me while using Nikon D70 + PS CS3 under Windows XP.
I got my laptop running Vista only + Nikon D300 in the same time.I suspect that my D300 is just fine, however post processing the images in CS3 under Vista generates this problem. Am I right or?

Thanks a lot.

Looks like a monitor profile with wrong tonal response curve, or profile of a monitor, that was calibrated to gamma 1,8
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

mbalensiefer

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 06:47:19 pm »

You need to host your image in a color-managed Web browser like the new Firefox. Download, install, and find the option that allows you to use your (calibrated, hopefully) monitor's profile.

IE, the old FF, and Chrome are not color-managed, while PS is using your monitor's profile.

Serge Cashman

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 06:51:44 pm »

Quote from: Czornyj
Looks like a monitor profile with wrong tonal response curve, or profile of a monitor, that was calibrated to gamma 1,8

I also thought of it but I don't think we would see it on a screenshot in that case. I think we would see the non-colormanaged output as "normal".

Maybe post the pre-processed and post-processed files...

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 07:14:21 pm »

Quote from: Serge Cashman
I also thought of it but I don't think we would see it on a screenshot in that case. I think we would see the non-colormanaged output as "normal".

On the contrary. Color management module changes the RGB numbers of the  displayed image. It's easy to check - try to use some funny profile - ProPhoto for example - as your monitor profile. Then make a screenshot and see for yourself.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 07:14:56 pm by Czornyj »

Serge Cashman

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 08:10:01 pm »

Quote from: Czornyj
On the contrary. Color management module changes the RGB numbers of the  displayed image. It's easy to check - try to use some funny profile - ProPhoto for example - as your monitor profile. Then make a screenshot and see for yourself.

I don't have Vista installed at the moment. In XP non-colormanaged screenshots look the same no matter what profile I choose. ProPhoto can't make any difference even visually because it doesn't have a vcgt tag to begin with. It would just screw up the colormanaged apps, but it looks like his colormanaged output is fine and the OS interface itself looks fine.

I assume here that the colormanaged screenshot looks "correct" and corresponds to how the picture looks on the camera display and on other computers. And that there were no adjustments made to the image (other than import/save).

And in response to mbalensiefer - most people still use non-colormanaged browsers so sosojerk's problem wouldn't be resolved by him getting a colormanaged browser.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 08:21:03 pm by Serge Cashman »

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 04:58:58 am »

I don't have Vista installed at the moment. In XP non-colormanaged screenshots look the same no matter what profile I choose. ProPhoto can't make any difference even visually because it doesn't have a vcgt tag to begin with. It would just screw up the colormanaged apps, but it looks like his colormanaged output is fine and the OS interface itself looks fine.

I assume here that the colormanaged screenshot looks "correct" and corresponds to how the picture looks on the camera display and on other computers. And that there were no adjustments made to the image (other than import/save).

And in response to mbalensiefer - most people still use non-colormanaged browsers so sosojerk's problem wouldn't be resolved by him getting a colormanaged browser.

Of course, it does. VCGT contains calibration information (it corrects linearity and temperature of the panel), that is loaded into the video card's LUT. But it has nothing to do with the profile - the profile itself contains colorimetric information, that only characterizes the panel (vcgt is the only exemption). The information is then utilized by application color management module, that compares colorimetric differencies between the picture profile (editing space the image is rendered into) and monitor profile, and compensates them by correcting the displayed RGB values - and that can be observed on a screenshot (no matter what system is used). Here's the example:

Serge Cashman

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 08:49:31 pm »

Yes I agree. But monitor profile would affect how color managed output looks. It would not affect the non-colormanaged screenshot.  In his case it's the non-colormanaged output that he thinks  looks weird (and I think so too).

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 09:19:23 pm »

Yes I agree. But monitor profile would affect how color managed output looks. It would not affect the non-colormanaged screenshot.  In his case it's the non-colormanaged output that he thinks  looks weird (and I think so too).

Problem is, that I can't even imagine what on earth could affect the way that the image is displayed in non-colormanaged applications. So I supposed, that the original image was bright, and then wrong monitor profile darkened it in colormanaged application.
Pages: [1]   Go Up