Yelhsa –
It must have been either the ’81 or the ’83 calendar. I did them as so:
1980 – Mallorca; 1981 – Rhodes or Provence; ’82 – USA; ’83 – Rhodes or Provence; ’84 – Costa Smeralda, Sardinia; ’85 – World Tour.
During the Provence one, I went to see the PR chap for the Carlton in Cannes and he wouldn’t okay shooting in the grounds because beer was a bit infra dig, but had it been Martini it would have been fine. I understood his point of view perfectly and didn’t take offence, but fortunately I’d arranged with the Riva agents in Palma to get hold of a Riva Superamerica in Cannes, so we held it right in front of the Carlton and got a better shot, anyway, with the symbolic hotel breasts clearly on show. I think the Negresco in Nice boasts a similar pair, but can’t remember too well now.
I’d also checked out an estate agent on the Croisette and he wanted five hundred quid for a half-day for a villa… for photography, not for wrecking the joint! Back then, that was quite a lot of money.
Sometimes I ask myself why I took up photography, then, when I get to think back I understand: how else to have fun, live well beyond your means and get paid for it?
"La Colombe d'Or...arrrgggg....did you see the hotel's swimming pool? One of the best italian style pool I've ever seen. And doing a shooting there with beautifull model might be heaven. At 10 the breeze starts and you end lazzzzy with the cup on the pool's terrasse while the assistants are packing the gear.
I was too young..."
Fred - you might have been too young, but I was too busy earning my keep and packing my own equipment!
Rob C