Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 214   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent Professional Works  (Read 1792213 times)

imagetone

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • http://www.tonymayimages.com
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2560 on: October 05, 2010, 10:36:13 am »

Shot for a chef's website. The designer had suggested a kind of  "HDR effect" to fit a dark theme.  This look was produced instead in Capture One. Photoshop was used only to remove a few marks and burn in some detail in the glass.



Logged

JonathanBenoit

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 414
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2561 on: October 05, 2010, 10:39:04 am »

is that red switch suppose to be crooked? nice shot.
Logged

BrendanStewart

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 236
    • http://www.symbolphoto.com
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2562 on: October 05, 2010, 12:25:16 pm »





First one with Elinchrom strobes.
Logged

imagetone

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • http://www.tonymayimages.com
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2563 on: October 05, 2010, 01:32:56 pm »

is that red switch suppose to be crooked? nice shot.

Well, I suppose the builder should have got it straight...

Seriously, it hadn't occurred to me to straighten it.  There was very little time for post-production before the site went live. The initial website use isn't so big.
Logged

BobDavid

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3313
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2564 on: October 05, 2010, 02:19:03 pm »

Simon, nice shot of the Audi.
Logged

haefnerphoto

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 680
    • http://www.jameshaefner.com
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2565 on: October 05, 2010, 02:28:20 pm »

is that directed towards me? I am not familiar with PDN.

One from last nights shoot as well.



Sorry Nick, It was a photographer named Nick Onken.  PDN stands for Photo District News, if you don't read it already you should pick one up and have a look.  Jim
Logged

haefnerphoto

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 680
    • http://www.jameshaefner.com
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2566 on: October 05, 2010, 02:33:15 pm »

Hello,

Be awhile since I have posted anything new.

This was shot with a Mamiya AFDII645 with Leaf Aptus 75 back and Nikon D3x cameras.

Photo retouching by Daniel Evans   http://www.super-nz.com

Cheers

Simon

Simon, Very nice!!  Blurs in post are always a challenge, I've had some success with Virtual Rig, have you tried it?  Jim
Logged

Frank Doorhof

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1522
    • http://
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2567 on: October 05, 2010, 03:16:56 pm »

@Dick, they are attractive painters indeed :D
Logged

bernhardAS

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 31
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2568 on: October 05, 2010, 11:31:07 pm »








The City is Dubai
Logged

chiek

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 284
    • chiek imaging
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2569 on: October 07, 2010, 02:59:34 am »

personal work.



background image by celestum (element11.devianart.com)
Logged
chiek imaging, in Seoul, SOUTH-KOREA.
Sinar P2, Hasselblad CFv-50c medium format and a7R systems
major job is products shot, especially for electronic products.
but interested in Landscapes and Portraits, Still-life.
my hobby is Designing camera…
www.chiek.co.kr

MH

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2570 on: October 10, 2010, 05:11:03 pm »

is this showcase also a place to be honest..!?
simon, i like your stuff a lot, but retouching in your last post isn`t good.
angle of the car and motion blur in the location are not correct.
Logged

Super-nz.com

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1
    • Super Photographic Retouching
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2571 on: October 11, 2010, 07:27:13 pm »

Thanks for your comments Michael, I retouched the Audi image for Simon.

Please discuss how you might have created this yourself? What you would have done differently given the chance.

Why the angle of the car is wrong?

And why the motion blurring is not correct in your eyes?

Thanks.

Dan Evans.

 
Logged
Dan Evans
Director
Super NZ Ltd.
www.super-nz.com
[email protected]

Abdulrahman Aljabri

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 307
    • http://www.aljabri.com
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2572 on: October 12, 2010, 01:10:21 am »

Thanks for your comments Michael, I retouched the Audi image for Simon.

Please discuss how you might have created this yourself? What you would have done differently given the chance.

Why the angle of the car is wrong?

And why the motion blurring is not correct in your eyes?

Thanks.

Dan Evans.

 


Hello Dan and welcome to the forum!

I also did not like the picture and my first impression of the picture was "photoshoped". It's ok if that is the second impression but never good as a first.

I personally can't tell you what could have been done better, because I am not a pro retoucher nor do I know the circumstances/content you had to work with. I can tell you, however, the things that don't look right. 

1. The car lighting looks too perfect and uniform for a sunset picture.
2. The car is very bright compared to the road further out
3. The cliff in the background does not have the motion blur look of the road and the back part of the cliff looks blurred differently than the front

There are other things like the road looking too perfect and smooth, but those are not as catchy as the first three. Again I don't know what you started with. The retouching might have been a major feat on your part but the final product in absolute terms is short of impressive.
 

Hope that helps
Abdulrahman
Logged
MY SITE: AL

robert zimmerman

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 226
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2573 on: October 12, 2010, 04:41:08 am »

some shots from a recent editorial production...It's where I've decided to invest my money instead of a new camera this year.
I can do about 5 to 10 productions, depending on location, for the cost of the upgrade.


Logged

Abdulrahman Aljabri

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 307
    • http://www.aljabri.com
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2574 on: October 12, 2010, 04:49:43 am »

It's where I've decided to invest my money instead of a new camera this year.

I don't understand this part. You spent your money on something else instead of a new camera, what is it? Are you saying that you are paying for editorial production from your own pocket, why?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 04:51:29 am by Abdulrahman Aljabri »
Logged
MY SITE: AL

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25133
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2575 on: October 12, 2010, 04:55:50 am »

Like these black/whites much more than the rest of the pics in the website; nothing wrong with them at all, just that the treatment/look in this set here appeals to me very much indeed.

Rob C

P.S. I didn't understand the 'investment' bit either.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 04:57:28 am by Rob C »
Logged

MH

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2576 on: October 12, 2010, 04:56:37 am »

100% agree john!

further object physically have no blur effect. only near things like street surface and stuff.
on the first sight it seems that the right side of the car is in the air, drop the shadow more carefully and this will go away.

john already mentioned some interesting details.
Logged

robert zimmerman

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 226
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2577 on: October 12, 2010, 06:01:45 am »

It's quite simple. I have X amount of money from business revenue that I reinvest in my business.
to cut it short, I've decided to put most of the money into productions for my book.

I'm not sure how it works in the states but here there are only a few widely read magazines that pay for editorials and they are boring, boring, boring.

vogue, vanity fair, id, etc. haven't called yet (insert laugh) so I do productions for my book and offer them to a magazines I like.
I get a nice publication and some free marketing, they get a free editorial. that's how it works here.

getting back to the point, putting my money into an upgrade would have taken a huge chunk of cash.
I've decided to put it into locations, models, styling, traveling costs, retouching, etc.

sorry for the confusion.
Logged

TMARK

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1841
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2578 on: October 12, 2010, 10:13:07 am »

Kipling, its about the same in the states, although for fashion/beauty the mags generally like to be involved in the production and will pick up some of the production costs and provide a letter of intent to pull clothes and accessories.

I use self funded/produced images for promos and my book, then get editorial and commercial jobs off the back of my new work.  The new work is the intro to clients who haven't hired you recently, and is the excuse to visit and have some drinks.  Constantly producing new work, and showing and meeting with people you already know, buys mind share among art buyers. 

And before people shooting in other genres lose their shit about shooting "for free", this is how it works in editorial photography, even more so after the Gotterdammerung that occured/is occuring in the magazine world.  Keep in mind that shooting an editorial for usage only, even if you finance it yourself, is a far cry from shooting a Nike ad for Wieden Kennedy for free. 

Oh and Kipling, nice shot. 

Logged

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25133
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2579 on: October 12, 2010, 12:06:27 pm »

Kipling, its about the same in the states, although for fashion/beauty the mags generally like to be involved in the production and will pick up some of the production costs and provide a letter of intent to pull clothes and accessories.

I use self funded/produced images for promos and my book, then get editorial and commercial jobs off the back of my new work.  The new work is the intro to clients who haven't hired you recently, and is the excuse to visit and have some drinks.  Constantly producing new work, and showing and meeting with people you already know, buys mind share among art buyers. 

And before people shooting in other genres lose their shit about shooting "for free", this is how it works in editorial photography, even more so after the Gotterdammerung that occured/is occuring in the magazine world.  Keep in mind that shooting an editorial for usage only, even if you finance it yourself, is a far cry from shooting a Nike ad for Wieden Kennedy for free. 

Oh and Kipling, nice shot. 

,

Good points, but so far away from the reality I knew in my time. Editorial was the holy grail of all fashion shooters and, from it, you were supposed to pick up advertising. In my case, it worked the other way around: I had the book (self-shot stuff, at no cost other than my time and that of willing and interested models and from that came advertising and from ads came the small amount of editorial I did. That editorial was very badly paid, but at least I didn't have to pay towards it! And the greater irony was this: I was seldom free to shoot anything with the style in my book! Commercially, static ruled! But hell, it was good work whilst it lasted.

But giving magazines one's work for free is a step I would never have made: those mothers didn't give free pages! Worse, if they get stuff free, why would they later pay anyone for more work? They just need find another mug to exploit. No shortage there!

Rob C

Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 214   Go Up