Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 214   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent Professional Works  (Read 1791092 times)

JoeKitchen

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5080
Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2360 on: August 08, 2010, 01:04:12 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
Hi Joe

Thanks for eleborating - I now understand what the pic was showing me.

It's an amazing construction - do you know if it was assembled in parts in situ or brought from a studio in a piece? Is it really a very smooth finish or does scale mask imperfections? It looks like chrome, but perhaps it's stainless steel with a high degree of polish. In some places, it would be a magnet for graffiti.

Rob C
Just looked up some stuff on it and it an 110 ton sculpture made from highly polished stainless steel sheet forged with no seams.  Pretty difficult to make I can imagine.  

Here is a question that just crossed my mind.  With the previous two images I shown, I am not that much worried about copyright, I know the images are mine and anyone can see they are more then just about the sculpture.  But the one I attached here, do I own the copyright?  I know in certain cases the courts have ruled that photographs of sculptures that aren't artistic in there own way (only documenting the piece) actually belong to the sculptor.  I feel this photograph is more about the light and city skyline than the sculpture, but should I be worried about possibly getting sued by the sculptor if I sell this image?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 04:39:36 pm by JoeKitchen »
Logged
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

JoeKitchen

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5080
Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2361 on: August 08, 2010, 02:00:26 pm »

Another self portrait, well more like 11 of them in one image.  Taken with  a Sigma 12-24 mm zoom at 12 mm, f/18 on full frame DSLR.  This is the only shot I have ever taken with that lens that I feel good about.  I think I may do some more processing to it though.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 03:00:13 pm by JoeKitchen »
Logged
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25129
Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2362 on: August 09, 2010, 04:52:18 am »

Quote from: JoeKitchen
Just looked up some stuff on it and it an 110 ton sculpture made from highly polished stainless steel sheet forged with no seams.  Pretty difficult to make I can imagine.  

Here is a question that just crossed my mind.  With the previous two images I shown, I am not that much worried about copyright, I know the images are mine and anyone can see they are more then just about the sculpture.  But the one I attached here, do I own the copyright?  I know in certain cases the courts have ruled that photographs of sculptures that aren't artistic in there own way (only documenting the piece) actually belong to the sculptor.  I feel this photograph is more about the light and city skyline than the sculpture, but should I be worried about possibly getting sued by the sculptor if I sell this image?



Hi Joe

It's a fine shot, and I can understand your concern/temptation regarding marketing. I don't have a definitive answer to your copyright question, but then nobody ever does: that's the reason lawyers get rich, they deal with situations in perpetual flux and resolve them according to their own rules which nobody else understands. Logic has nothing to do with it. Justice (what's that?) has nothing to do with it. As I've indicated elsewhere, it's a system designed to fleece everybody outwith the game. (I noted recently that somebody in the UK has been jailed for around fifteen years for robbery, but others walk from murder with three. Talk to me about justice.

And no, it is not similar to ripping off photographs.

From my personal perspective, the moment something is put out in the open, presumably paid for by the public purse (the taxpayer), then it should be fair game for any passing lensman to play with and use for his pleasure or business. I would expect that to be the legal position, but if they can now charge one to use images of the friggin' Eiffel Tower, then expect the British red letterbox to be next on the list...

Rob C

JoeKitchen

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5080
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2363 on: August 12, 2010, 01:13:25 pm »

I know opinions on Gehry vary greatly, but I really enjoy his works.  Here are a few image I took of the Pritzker Pavilion in Chicago. 
Logged
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

ChristopherBarrett

  • Guest
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2364 on: August 12, 2010, 01:18:35 pm »

I always felt like that stage looked like a Wig for Robot Kobuki Theater.
Logged

JoeKitchen

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5080
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2365 on: August 12, 2010, 01:27:33 pm »

 :D :D :D
Logged
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Kirk Gittings

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1561
    • http://www.KirkGittings.com
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2366 on: August 20, 2010, 11:38:11 am »

A little early morning magic at Millennium Park in Chicago

I spend most summers in Chicago (this summer included) teaching at the SAIC, about two blocks from this sculpture and living about three blocks from it. I have seen thousands of images of the "Silver Bean" and my students have done hundreds. This is one of the most interesting I have seen.

Personally.........I wouldn't worry about copyright issues of this unless you were going to put it on the cover of a book or poster or something. Anything you shoot of this and put in a blog or website will be lost in the tens of thousands of similar shots on peoples websites, blogs etc.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 12:00:55 pm by [email protected] »
Logged
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

JoeKitchen

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5080
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2367 on: August 20, 2010, 01:25:56 pm »

I spend most summers in Chicago (this summer included) teaching at the SAIC, about two blocks from this sculpture and living about three blocks from it. I have seen thousands of images of the "Silver Bean" and my students have done hundreds. This is one of the most interesting I have seen.

Personally.........I wouldn't worry about copyright issues of this unless you were going to put it on the cover of a book or poster or something. Anything you shoot of this and put in a blog or website will be lost in the tens of thousands of similar shots on peoples websites, blogs etc.

Thanks Kirk, that means a lot coming form an experienced AP like yourself. 

For the point on copyright, I was planning marketing that image on my stock website and using it in next months e-zine I send out to art buyers.  I do not think that I would need to be concerned about copyright with this images, maybe property release; Millennium Park is public property,  right?
Logged
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Kirk Gittings

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1561
    • http://www.KirkGittings.com
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2368 on: August 20, 2010, 01:58:11 pm »

When the sculpture was new the park guards would stop photographers that looked like they were professionals and ask if they had a permit-same with the Juame Plensa fountain nearby, but AFAIK they quit doing that. They would mention that it was a copyrighted work. What does that mean for you? I truly have no idea, but I suspect trying to get a property release from the city of Chicago would be a lesson in endless frustration unless you were a big film production company with lawyers and money.
Logged
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

cunim

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 130
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2369 on: August 21, 2010, 10:21:42 am »

I suppose "professional" can mean utility as opposed to artistic.  Here's a typical shot used for project potodocumentation.  Technically interesting to me because of the tools needed to acquire it.  50MP back on AS view camera and 70mm DigaronW at f8.  Daylight (primarily) with intense specular reflections.  Four softlights used to bring up the tail.  Required DOF about 6 feet from nose cone to cockpit window.  Details must be visible.

So.. stitch 3 across to 13K pixels.  Center section stack of five bracketed +-2 stops in 1/2 stop intervals.  Each side image stack of two with same bracketing.  Photomatix pro "highlights and shadows" function to tame some reflections with manual blends for the worst cases.  Helicon Focus to render stacks.  CS5 to create panorama.  The result is useful, but what a lot of time to create.  There must be a better way.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 08:46:07 pm by cunim »
Logged

BobDavid

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3313
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2370 on: August 21, 2010, 11:30:40 am »

Awesome capture. I would consider cutting the airplane from the bkg. It would look great against a solid, flat white bkg.
Logged

Frank Doorhof

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1522
    • http://
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2371 on: August 21, 2010, 02:16:26 pm »

Some captures.
Logged

Frank Doorhof

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1522
    • http://
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2372 on: August 21, 2010, 02:18:34 pm »

And some model/action captures.
Logged

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25129
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2373 on: August 21, 2010, 02:44:41 pm »

Hi Keith

I suspect that it is a matter of time - and quantity of traffic. For a while, I had to log in the name and security word each time I came here if I wanted to participate, but now I seem to be logged in automatically whenever I enter the site.

But you're younger than I - you can afford to wait where I can't!

RobC

cunim

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 130
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2374 on: August 21, 2010, 08:40:12 pm »

Bob, your point is well taken, though I find a solid background a bit much.  I pulled the background down some and replaced the image.
Logged

Dick Roadnight

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1730
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2375 on: August 21, 2010, 09:08:59 pm »

Rob
Never mind younger than you, I've just noticed I've become a senior member. How the hell did that happen?
You posted your 250th post!
Logged
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

JoeKitchen

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5080
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2376 on: August 21, 2010, 09:14:06 pm »

Having fun and playing around with iMovie...

The series of captures which lead up to the final image - from some of our recent shoots:
YouTube - Creating the images.


Very cool, very good way to educate clients on why it takes so long to create an interior images. 

By the way, do you bring most of your props (handbags, shoes, books, etc.) or do you use what is present? 


I thought of doing this to but have to say I am very disappointed with myself for not getting on the ball.  Looks like I have a serious fall marketing project ahead of me. 
Logged
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

ChristopherBarrett

  • Guest
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2377 on: August 21, 2010, 09:18:31 pm »

C,

That's pretty cool, but... while the engines have lovely contrast, the fuselage has soft (overly HDR'd) contrast for my taste.  I might try masking that area and adding a curve layer with a little s curve...

: )

CB
Logged

LKaven

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1060
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2378 on: August 21, 2010, 11:57:30 pm »

Having fun and playing around with iMovie...

The series of captures which lead up to the final image - from some of our recent shoots:
YouTube - Creating the images.
Ashley, I want to thank you for posting this standout piece.  Anyone who wants to know what it really takes to do this kind of work well should see it.

PdF

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 297
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2379 on: August 22, 2010, 04:51:06 am »

Having fun and playing around with iMovie...

The series of captures which lead up to the final image - from some of our recent shoots:
YouTube - Creating the images.



It's very beautiful series. We see there that the time has an essential importance in the work. In the work of photography, this nuance is often very difficult to make understand.

Thank you.

PdF
Logged
PdF
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 214   Go Up