Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dual-monitor support in Bridge CS4  (Read 37327 times)

RobertCubit

• Gallery
Dual-monitor support in Bridge CS4
« on: October 15, 2008, 09:58:58 pm »

Hi all,

I just upgraded to PSCS4, today. I must say that I'm very pleased with the ease of installation. Although I’m still testing the various functions, so far, everything seems rock stable --- and much faster than CS3!
But there is one feature I was hoping would be addressed in CS4 Bridge (maybe it has been and I haven’t found it, yet?).

I have a dual-monitor system and would like to have Bridge utilize both monitors in the following configuration:
1, Full-size preview (only) on the left (primary) high-quality, wide-screen monitor.
2. All panels, controls and thumbs on the right (secondary) budget monitor.
3. I would like to save this workspace configuration so that CS4 Bridge starts-up in this mode by default or have a one-click option to enable this workspace.

I've been able to do this, with a workaround, in both CS3 Bridge and CS4 Bridge with a multi-step process after launch by:

1. Opening a New Synchronized Window, moving it to the second monitor.
2.  Configuring and saving individual custom workspaces for each monitor (called monitor1 and monitor2).
3. Repeating the New Synchronized Window procedure every time Bridge is launched, then selecting each monitor workspace (requires 8-steps).

Note that both Bridge windows must be closed in the proper sequence (monitor1, then monitor2) or the blank, monitor1 window will open at next launch.

I was hoping Bridge CS4 would have this feature built-in. However, a search of the Adobe knowledgebase and Google didn't offer any answers. Q's:

1. Is there now a way to save dual-monitor workspaces in CS4 Bridge that I have missed?
2. If not, is it possible to run an automated series of steps (macro or script?) at, or just after, launch to simplify setup of this workspace configuration, without requiring eight steps?

This seems like such an obvious need, it’s hard to believe the apparent lack of information or support for this feature.

I opened a support ticket with Adobe today with the above questions. I expect a reply sometime in the next few days. However, I thought I’d post this here in case others have had the same issue and have come up with a solution. If Adobe Support provides a good solution, I’ll post it.

Bob in O.C. California
[url=http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/3595

astroman

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 11:33:45 am »

Bob - did you ever get a response from Adobe or did you solve the problem another way?  I'm facing exactly the same issue & can only fix it using the "synchronized window" method.

Regards, Andy

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 01:14:37 pm »

I use Bridge across dual monitors and it works fine if you think about how Bridge actually works.
Simply have Bridge fill entire desktop and drag preview panel to fill one screen. Tweak rest of workspace to your liking and save. All done and it opens to that configuration next time too. Works on both Macs + PCs - though less elegantly on the Mac, as OSX is a bit pants with dual monitors
I have folder and thumbs on left monitor and preview on right screen. This makes more sense to me as we read left to right and that is a more logical progression - Folder then content then large version.

Having said that if you preview by pressing space bar the preview fills entire screen with no clutter and I tend to use that to look through images. It's also very easy to label/rate images or tweak them in ACR from there too [pres R for ACR or O for open in PS]. The space bar preview is a minor tweak to an already existing function, but makes Bridge much, much better to use than you would think from such a minor alteration.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Farmer

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 06:33:13 pm »

The Sync Windows and the "drag across two monitors" methods are the only ones available at the moment.  I've left a FR with Adobe for genuine multi-monitor support, though, and I suggest all users do the same so they understand the importance of it.

If you want to have more say about Bridge, check out John Nack's latest blog and comment:

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2009/01/whats...r.html#comments
Phil Brown

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 04:55:52 am »

What is annoying is that although you can stretch ACR so that one screen has the full image and the other has the tools, it won't open that way next time you open ACR, a big shame given how much sense it makes..

jjj

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 10:30:24 am »

Quote from: pom
What is annoying is that although you can stretch ACR so that one screen has the full image and the other has the tools, it won't open that way next time you open ACR, a big shame given how much sense it makes..
That's something I also find annoying, but oddly I just opened Bridge, used spacebar to preview and R to open ACR and it opened with tool bar on rightscreen and preview filling left screen - exactly as you asked. I tried opening using Cmd+R from Bridge and initially it opened on one screen only. I dragged to move tool bars to right screen and thereafter it opened as I wanted it when opening from Bridge and Preview. I then closed Bridge and tried again and it opened just as I left it before - previews on left screen, tools on right screen.
Though I've noticed there is some inconsistency in how it works at times, by  not opening as I wanted it, but now I'm actually testing it, it works perfectly!?    I think it works slightly differently on CS4 than CS3. CS3 definitely seemed more consistent.

What would improve ACR far more, would be if the thumbnails [when opening more than one file] were next to tool bar rather than opposite side of window. It would save a lot of pointless mousing back + for across screen.

Farmer

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 06:56:04 pm »

In Bridge, if you close a window by clicking it closed, it won't remember the size/location etc, but if you close the app using the menus it should remember.
Phil Brown

Eyeball

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 07:50:04 pm »

Quote from: jjj
What would improve ACR far more, would be if the thumbnails [when opening more than one file] were next to tool bar rather than opposite side of window. It would save a lot of pointless mousing back + for across screen.

I don't understand.  Can't you just move the thumbnail pane to where you want it?  I use 3 columns:
- First column with two panes. Top pane with Favorites and Folders.  Bottom pane with MetaData and Filter.
- Second column with thumbnails vertically 1 thumbnail wide.
- 3rd column (big pane taking about 75% of screen) with preview.

I also experimented with moving thumbnails as a horizontal strip across the top and it let me.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're trying to do.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 07:50:35 pm by Eyeball »

jjj

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 07:56:01 pm »

Quote from: Eyeball
Maybe I'm not understanding what you're trying to do.
Yup, I'm talking about ACR, not Bridge. ACR develops the files for Bridge's rendering and before or as you open into PS.
ACR = Adobe Camera RAW and is a RAW developer, though can do JPEGs/Tiffs as well. It is used for the development module in LR, but LR version has a better interface.  

Eyeball

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 08:19:30 pm »

Quote from: jjj
Yup, I'm talking about ACR, not Bridge. ACR develops the files for Bridge's rendering and before or as you open into PS.
ACR = Adobe Camera RAW and is a RAW developer, though can do JPEGs/Tiffs as well. It is used for the development module in LR, but LR version has a better interface.

Oh.  I understand all the pieces but I had missed the fact that the thread started mixing the discussion between Bridge and ACR.  Sorry about that.  I understand what you are talking about now.  Nevermind.  

jjj

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 10:16:14 am »

No Problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up