Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone else having these Aperture issues?  (Read 19601 times)

glennedens

Anyone else having these Aperture issues?
« on: October 15, 2008, 05:46:45 pm »

I am seeing flaky behavior trying to use Aperture with H3DII2-39 3FR or DNG files:
1.  Some images have magenta cast on the left or top and cyan cast on the right or bottom just after import.  The split is right down the middle of the image.
2.  Sometimes (randomly) Aperture will show the purple "unsupported image format" just after "loading" completes.  Once that starts every image i view shows unsupported after loading until i quit and restart Aperture.
3.  After loading some images show all white or white with some image artifacts but most of the image is white.  Also some images show wild random false color in the highlights in the previews and thumbnails (and no highlight warning is not on).
4.  During editing the system will slow down, real-time updates will stop and half the image will go black during adjustments - when i let go of the mouse the adjustment is applied and a short time later the full image returns.
5.  It is worse with 3FR files than with DNGs that are first imported into Phocus and then exported and imported into Aperture.
6.  If i turn on fast preview then none of these problems occur, but of course you then cannot perform any edits.

The machine is a quad intel macpro with 8gb memory and plenty of disk space left, two 30 displays on one graphics card (FX4500) and a Wacom Cintiq on a second graphics card (7800GT), however, i have seen the same behavior on a MacBook Pro 17" intel laptop with built-in display.

I have reported the problems to Apple and I am waiting for a call back.  Is anyone else seeing these problems?  One other local studio is seeing similar issues so they are just using Phocus and waiting for a fix from Apple.

Thanks,

Glenn

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 07:45:04 pm »

I purchased a new H3DII-39 last Thursday - loaded latest version of Phocus - worked with it - then tried to open fff files in latest Aperture version.
Reads some of the thumbnail files, but when you click on them to open a image file I get the "unsupported format" error and then the thumbnail image is corrupted visually.

I've asked Hasselblad if they are aware of the problem and as of this moment have no response.

My cpu hardware is almost identical to yours.  I also have Capture One and Leaf Capture software loaded along with CS3, Lightroom, Bridge and Dreamweaver.

Quote from: glennedens
I am seeing flaky behavior trying to use Aperture with H3DII2-39 3FR or DNG files:
1.  Some images have magenta cast on the left or top and cyan cast on the right or bottom just after import.  The split is right down the middle of the image.
2.  Sometimes (randomly) Aperture will show the purple "unsupported image format" just after "loading" completes.  Once that starts every image i view shows unsupported after loading until i quit and restart Aperture.
3.  After loading some images show all white or white with some image artifacts but most of the image is white.  Also some images show wild random false color in the highlights in the previews and thumbnails (and no highlight warning is not on).
4.  During editing the system will slow down, real-time updates will stop and half the image will go black during adjustments - when i let go of the mouse the adjustment is applied and a short time later the full image returns.
5.  It is worse with 3FR files than with DNGs that are first imported into Phocus and then exported and imported into Aperture.
6.  If i turn on fast preview then none of these problems occur, but of course you then cannot perform any edits.

The machine is a quad intel macpro with 8gb memory and plenty of disk space left, two 30 displays on one graphics card (FX4500) and a Wacom Cintiq on a second graphics card (7800GT), however, i have seen the same behavior on a MacBook Pro 17" intel laptop with built-in display.

I have reported the problems to Apple and I am waiting for a call back.  Is anyone else seeing these problems?  One other local studio is seeing similar issues so they are just using Phocus and waiting for a fix from Apple.

Thanks,

Glenn
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 07:46:03 pm by Lust4Life »

glennedens

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 07:51:00 pm »

Jack,

Thanks for the reply, it was getting lonely on this thread

I have been on the phone to Apple support and got an escalation.  This morning they told me that the H3DII-39 is NOT supported by Aperture.  Hasselblad says it is, sigh.  I have put in a callback but probably won't hear anything until tomorrow.  I know of several other folks now having the same problems.

I also tried using Phocus to 3FR -> FFF and the export FFF -> DNG, then import to Aperture.  That kind of works but eventually after some period of use of Aperture it gets into the same problem where all images then become unsupported after they load.  Also I discovered that when you export the DNG you lose all of the DAC, APO and other processing that you did in Phocus.

This is a BIG mess and the solution to just use Phocus is problematic since we use other cameras as well, big sigh.

I'll let you know if I learn anything new,

Congratulations on the H3DII!

Glenn

harmsr

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 11:24:15 pm »

I have an H3DII39 also.  In Aperture, I can import and use the 3FR files or Tiffs (exported from Phocus).  Aperture does not recognize the FFF files in the scratchpad folder.  Everything in Aperture works fine on my files except for one color issue.  Bright reds tend to have to much magenta and get pinkish.

Best,

Ray

glennedens

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 12:52:11 am »

Ray,

Yes, Aperture will not recognize the FFF files as you already know, it is not supposed to since they are proprietary to Hasselblad.

The TIFF route has the advantage that you get all the lens correction processing from Phocus, as you know, however the files are huge, too large for the number of images we shoot for a job.

The 3FR bugs are now acknowledged by Apple, there is a bug in 2.1 with 3FR RAW conversion and a serious bug in 2.2 (Raw Component Bundle version numbers not Aperture).  The 2.3 release of the RAW Component Bundle should fix all this, according to Apple tech support but no schedule as to when.

Do you know which versions of the RAW Component Bundle you have installed?  So you are not having any problems?  If so we should look at your machine configuration since you are the first person that i know of that is not having problems.  Can you say how many 3FR images you have imported and processed?

Apple tells me that the 2.2 version of the RAW Component Bundle cannot read any 3FR files due to a serious bug, we see a grey screen right after "loading" is complete, we see an image if we turn on Quick Preview but, of course, then you cannot edit.  In 2.1 there is a bug that after a bit of editing all images will turn to "unsupported image format" until you quit Aperture and restart it.  Look carefully at your images if you are using 2.1, there is a slight magenta cast on the left and cyan cast on the right, not every image has it but a lot of them do, these bugs have been replicated by Apple.  I am also seeing the hot red -> magenta problem, it seems to be related to the magenta / cyan split problem.

Please verify that you are having no problems and if so can we learn about your machine's configuration?

Thanks so much for the reply, and i hope the good luck continues with no problems....

Glenn

Quote from: harmsr
I have an H3DII39 also.  In Aperture, I can import and use the 3FR files or Tiffs (exported from Phocus).  Aperture does not recognize the FFF files in the scratchpad folder.  Everything in Aperture works fine on my files except for one color issue.  Bright reds tend to have to much magenta and get pinkish.

Best,

Ray

harmsr

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 08:21:10 pm »

Glenn,

You are now correct.  I also have the problem.

The last time that I used Aperture for Hassy files was on Sept. 17th of this year.  I had just finished a shoot that had a lot bright red in it, and hated the color issue that I was having so just kept using Phocus.  At that time, I imported two projects of about 700 photos (3FR files) with no issue and everything worked fine.  Since I had the color issue, I deleted that project.

Just now I tried to import a selection of those same 3FR files into Aperture, and don't get any picture.  I got what you mentioned in point 3.

3. After loading some images show all white or white with some image artifacts but most of the image is white.

Did something happen after 9/17/08 to now?

Best,

Ray

glennedens

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 02:30:05 pm »

Ray,

The RAW Component Bundle 2.2 update, early October as i remember, has some horrible bugs in it.  If you delete the 2.2 file and reinstall RAW Component Bundle 2.1 you can at least work with 3FR files.

The RAW Component Bundle 2.2 file is in System -> Library -> CoreServices -> RAWCamera.bundle.

Delete that file and the find and download the RAW Component 2.1 update from the Apple web site:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/appl...tyupdate21.html

Install that file and things should work as they did before, still some serious bugs but at least you can open the 3FR files and work on them most of the time

Not sure what is happening with Apple software quality but it is going down in the last nine months

Let me know if this works for you Ray,

Glenn

Glenn,

You are now correct.  I also have the problem.

The last time that I used Aperture for Hassy files was on Sept. 17th of this year.  I had just finished a shoot that had a lot bright red in it, and hated the color issue that I was having so just kept using Phocus.  At that time, I imported two projects of about 700 photos (3FR files) with no issue and everything worked fine.  Since I had the color issue, I deleted that project.

Just now I tried to import a selection of those same 3FR files into Aperture, and don't get any picture.  I got what you mentioned in point 3.

3. After loading some images show all white or white with some image artifacts but most of the image is white.

Did something happen after 9/17/08 to now?

Best,

Ray

JdeV

• http://www.jonathandevilliers.com
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 04:44:58 pm »

I've just noticed this thread.

I've had all the issues you've alluded to with H3DII 39 files and Aperture. I've also sometimes had the same issue with H3DII 31 files.

In August Apple had the temerity to suggest that I wipe my hard-drive and reinstall my software application by application because they insisted it wasn't an Aperture problem.

I really like Aperture but it isn't great for straight raw conversion of Hasselblad files anyway. Flexcolor or Phocus, (which apparently share exactly the same raw processing engine), give much less noise and better colour and tonality. However, neither Flexcolor or Phocus are any good for highlight recovery. They are also terrible for editing and image management.

I don't have a really efficient solution for these woes but what I tend to do is edit and organise the files in Aperture and process the final edit in Phocus or Flexcolor. Unfortunately, I quite often also have to comp together some of the Flex/Phocus TIFFs with Aperture versions of the same images that have been processed for highlights.

I have recently gone over to wholly working with referenced images in Aperture but have yet to establish whether this resolves any of the bugs.

harmsr

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 02:20:48 pm »

Any updates from anyone?  I'm still having the white with pink splotches issues in Aperture, using the latest updates of the OS, Phocus, & Aperture.

Thanks,

Ray

Hamid

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 04:21:18 pm »

I have the same problem and tested several solutions. actually I am using a mac pro 2x3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (8 core) and fully loaded with 32 GB RAM. The system is on a 1 TB 7200 RPM Hard Disk. I believe that the problem is the aperture limitations for using the RAM and the Hard Disk is not fast enough to supply the necessary virtual memory specially for large 39MP fff or 3fr files. If some body knows the way to increase the ability of Aperture to use more real memory instead of virtual memory let me know to try and public the result. It is about a year that I am trying to solve the problem and nobody from Apple or Hasselblad is giving any answer. I have installed the latest version of Aperture 2.1.2 3G13 on Mac OS X 10.5.6

harmsr

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 10:48:03 pm »

Actually ever since Apple released their 2.5 RAW update a little while ago, everything is working normal again.

Aperture can import 3FR from my H3DII39 directly with no problems.

Best,

Ray

Hamid

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 05:22:13 pm »

Actually ever since Apple released their 2.5 RAW update a little while ago, everything is working normal again.

Aperture can import 3FR from my H3DII39 directly with no problems.

Best,

Ray

Hi Ray,
Could you please let me know your system's configuration? I have actually upgraded it but still have problem when the system is loaded too much.

Thank you,
Hamid

harmsr

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 07:16:18 pm »

Quote from: Hamid
Hi Ray,
Could you please let me know your system's configuration? I have actually upgraded it but still have problem when the system is loaded too much.

Thank you,
Hamid

Hamid,

I'm using a one generation old MacBook Pro with 6GB of OWC memory, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 10.5.6 OS X, & GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB.

Best,

Ray

Pages: [1]   Go Up