Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon CoolPix 5700 Thoughts  (Read 5488 times)

SteveB

Nikon CoolPix 5700 Thoughts
« on: April 15, 2003, 02:39:57 pm »

I wouldn't call the 5700 Junk.  My wife has one, and takes excellent pictures with it.  Very sharp when she's able to hold it still, and exposure is accurate.  Sometimes she gets fuzzy pics if she has the zoom extended all the way.  Its not always easy to hand-hold a light camera with 300 mm equivalent lens!   I played with the camera a fair amount.  Three personal gripes:  slow focusing, long cycle time between exposures, and button-controlled zooming.

I recently purchased a Canon 10D.  Its FAST, and it takes better photographs.  I tried to get my wife to use it, pointing out how quickly you can compose and expose.  

Her response:  "it's too heavy"  

To each his/her own!
=====
SteveB

Mike A

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2003, 10:51:35 pm »

I've printed a few images, but don't waste the paper or ink... images on my monitor are a very good indication of the sharpness I see in a print (I have a 17" Sony CRT monitor as well as a 19" LCD monitor and print on an Epson 7600).  

I have had mediocre results with the 5700 at the widest angle zoom, somewhere in the middle and at the largest magnification (and I never use the digital zoom).  

I have had mediocre results with the 5700 on a tripod as well.  The only "good" shots I get with are indoors with flash if the subject is less than 10 feet from the camera (results outdoors are similar; if the subject is less than 6-8' they are ok..... but forget landscapes).  BTW, I handhold medium format camera and get good images... including every now and then getting crazy and hand holsing an RB67.

I've tried a variety of shutter speeds (up to 1/1000 sec) and most of the apertures.

Not really impressed; just hoping I was holding my tongue wrong when I used it and someone here knew the secret.

Thanks

mcanyes

• www.dig-arts.biz
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 05:17:22 pm »

I have been using a CP5700 and a CP5000 professionally now for a while. Together they are less money than a DSLR and lenses. They also don't fill a large bag. I have no problem getting good 11x14 prints. However, I don't compare it directly with a print from a iso100 6x7 negative. My criterion is: will this good enough to work with? One thing to keep in mind, post processing is a bit more important with a 5mp image. These are all trade-offs. How much money do you want to spend; how much quality do you need?
Michael
Michael Canyes
Nikon stuff www.dig-arts.

Mike A

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2003, 01:11:57 pm »

My wife bought me a Nikon Coolpix 5700 (I must have been good).  Unfortunately the images all seemed blurry (and I'm used to handholding cameras like the Fuji 6x7).

Sent it off to Nikon, they repaired it (came back with a rattle and even more blurry images).  Sent it off again, and it was replaced with a new camera.

Try shooting with the new camera, and the images just aren't sharp.  I've tried fast shutter speeds, various focus modes (including manual/infinity), various recording modes (jpg, tiff, raw), various sharpening modes.... no joy.

Thoughts?  Experiences?  Do I have a cool-looking paper weight now?

Thanks

Mike A

Dale_Cotton

• http://daystarvisions.com
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2003, 02:48:38 pm »

Just to nail down a few basic points before we charge off in possibly the wrong direction:

You don't say whether the images are still blurry when the camera is mounted on a tripod (or even on a table top).

Also, are you judging sharpness from the camera's images as viewed on your monitor or as viewed from a print? If from a monitor, do you have experience with the difference between monitor resolution and print resolution?

MatthewCromer

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2003, 07:46:28 pm »

The 5700 lens is not junk.  However it isn't razor sharp.  One problem with the camera is an abysmal AF system.  Another problem is the dismally slow lens.  The Dimage 7 series and the Sony 717 are much better cameras in that price range (IMO).
Pages: [1]   Go Up