Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Split ND and Polarizer Filters on a 24mm  (Read 6334 times)

Mark F

Split ND and Polarizer Filters on a 24mm
« on: October 05, 2008, 10:05:22 pm »

Has anyone figured out a way to use both polarizer and split ND filters on lenses wider than 28mm without vignetting?  The Cokin P holder all by itself causes vignetting so using the Singh Ray sprocket polarizer will not solve the problem.  I could use a regular polarizer and hand hold the split ND in front of the lens but that is a nuisance.  If anyone has a better way I'd love to hear about it.    Thanks.
Mark

Jon Meddings

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 11:17:53 am »

Quote from: Mark F
Has anyone figured out a way to use both polarizer and split ND filters on lenses wider than 28mm without vignetting?  The Cokin P holder all by itself causes vignetting so using the Singh Ray sprocket polarizer will not solve the problem.  I could use a regular polarizer and hand hold the split ND in front of the lens but that is a nuisance.  If anyone has a better way I'd love to hear about it.    Thanks.

Mark, I don't have a great solution either but here is what I do and I'm looking forward to other replies.

I often use my 24 TSE for landscapes. I shoot with it on a 1DsIII now and have a thin polarizer on it much of the time. I will often use a HiTech ND grad filter and cannot use a Cokin holder with the thin polarizer - so I simply hand hold it and slide it up and down the front of the polarizer to get the position I want.

This is not without its problems I must say. The biggest from my perspective is that I tend to scratch/mark the ND filter and I am currently looking for some better quality ones that will last a bit longer. Any suggestions anyone has would be much appreciated in this regard!

francois

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 11:56:37 am »

I also use a thin polarizer and hand-hold - or use gaffer tape - the GND filter.
Francois

jeffreybehr

• Happily retired accountant
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 12:32:35 pm »

Cokin has 2 larger filter systems, the Z Pro and the X Pro.  The Filter Connection writes "The Cokin Z Pro 4x4 is specially designed for the new ultra wide zooms on Digital SLR  cameras in the 10mm and 12mm range."  Filter rings are available for as large as 95mm threads, so it's definitely bigger than the P series.  It's more expensive than the very common P-series stuff, but high quality is rarely inexpensive.

http://www.2filter.com/cokin/cokinzpro.html

Mark F

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 11:15:54 pm »

The problem is that the holders scew into the polarizer, making adjusting the polarizer a real pain. When you turn the polarizer you also turn the holder and vice versa.  

It may be possible to order a custom sprocket polarizer from Singh Ray to fit the larger Cokin holders, but I hate to think what that would cost.

Quote from: jeffreybehr
Cokin has 2 larger filter systems, the Z Pro and the X Pro.  The Filter Connection writes "The Cokin Z Pro 4x4 is specially designed for the new ultra wide zooms on Digital SLR  cameras in the 10mm and 12mm range."  Filter rings are available for as large as 95mm threads, so it's definitely bigger than the P series.  It's more expensive than the very common P-series stuff, but high quality is rarely inexpensive.

http://www.2filter.com/cokin/cokinzpro.html
Mark

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 07:39:51 am »

...It may be possible to order a custom sprocket polarizer from Singh Ray to fit the larger Cokin holders, but I hate to think what that would cost.

Yes, this is what I do, but you can make it work with the normal 'P' size holders. The holder then mounts directly to the lens, and the Singh-Ray polarizer goes in the slot right up against the face of the Cokin holder before the three slots for rectangular filters.  I also cut off the third (outer-most) filter holder.  That may or may not be necessary depending on which 24 you use.  The polarizers are $210 on their website.  I've used this set up for 8 years on three different Canon 24mm:  17-35 f/2.8 (old), 24TSf/3.5, and the 24f/2.8.  Note I have not tried it on the newer lenses.  For example, I don't think the 'P' works on the new 16-35, since it has 82mm threads.

Dave Chew

Mark F

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 07:34:14 pm »

Interesting idea. I would need to leave at least one slot for the split ND filter and I wonder if that would work.  

Which tool did you use to cut off the slots? I'm not sure I have a saw that is thin enough or has small enough teeth to do the job without cracking the holder.

Quote from: dchew
Yes, this is what I do, but you can make it work with the normal 'P' size holders. The holder then mounts directly to the lens, and the Singh-Ray polarizer goes in the slot right up against the face of the Cokin holder before the three slots for rectangular filters.  I also cut off the third (outer-most) filter holder.  That may or may not be necessary depending on which 24 you use.  The polarizers are $210 on their website.  I've used this set up for 8 years on three different Canon 24mm:  17-35 f/2.8 (old), 24TSf/3.5, and the 24f/2.8.  Note I have not tried it on the newer lenses.  For example, I don't think the 'P' works on the new 16-35, since it has 82mm threads.

Dave Chew
Mark

jeffreybehr

• Happily retired accountant
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 08:13:26 pm »

Mark, a plain-ol'-ordinary hacksaw works on the filterholder.  I too have cut them shallower.

Mark F

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 01:10:32 am »

Sounds like a good idea - I'll give it a try. Thanks guys.
Mark

francois

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 04:54:19 am »

Sounds like a good idea - I'll give it a try. Thanks guys.
Here's a snapshot of what Dave suggested above: Cokin P holder (with front slot removed ) + Singh-Ray Polarizer + GND.
Francois

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 07:26:39 am »

Quote from: jeffreybehr
Mark, a plain-ol'-ordinary hacksaw works on the filterholder.  I too have cut them shallower.
I've used a hacksaw, coping saw and a utility knife.  The utility knife is a last resort since you risk some digits!
I've done this several times because I lose them and I've got one in each bag.  I hate it when I'm setting up and realize the Cokin holder is at home in my other bag...

Or in the chest pocket of my other coat...

Or...

Dave Chew

Marlyn

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 08:52:38 pm »

I use a LEE 105mm polarizer, with the Lee holders. However I pull them appart and only have ONE slot for a Grad ND between the camera adapter and the Polariser.
Also use the Low profile adapter rings, which bring it all closer to the camera (the ND is basically just off the front element of the lens).

Works well, even wider than 24mm.

Regards

Mark.

Pages: [1]   Go Up