Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help import of .psd files w/o full resolution prev  (Read 3729 times)

wils

help import of .psd files w/o full resolution prev
« on: September 28, 2008, 04:30:42 pm »

Just got LR ll
I've started to import past files.
LR will not import .psd files that do not have a full resolution preview ("backward compatible" setting was not used when saving in Photoshop .. to save disk space - many 1000s of files)

CameraRaw can show a thumb of these files .. why not LR?

To use LR to catalog and manage all files I need it to show .psd files

How do I get LR to do this?

I do not want to have to go back and re-open and re-save 1000s of .psd files

thanks for help, guidance, and hopefully not bad news

Wil

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 05:15:01 pm »

I do not want to have to go back and re-open and re-save 1000s of .psd files
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225284\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, that's what you are gonna have to do if you want to import them. I would suggest a batch action for automated processing. And, just to be clear, there is a warning attached when saving without the max compatibility checked, so it's not like you weren't warned.

wils

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 06:20:21 pm »

Well, that's what you are gonna have to do if you want to import them. I would suggest a batch action for automated processing. And, just to be clear, there is a warning attached when saving without the max compatibility checked, so it's not like you weren't warned.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225296\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for info that it's a no go

I knew exactly what I was doing .. over the years I have had no need for backward compatibility and did not want the extra files size overhead .. and all subsequent versions of PS have been able to open the files thus no compatibility problems.

I'm just surprised that given Bridge can display a thumb w/o full size flattened version that LR cannot .. at least display the thumb so I know the file exists (then if I wanted to work on it in LR I could resave it .. I seldom redo a finished .psd file, but in a cataloging program I need to know it exists)

anyway thanks for confirming that it doesn't work and there's no easy way out

Think I'll sell LR ll and put money toward an upgrade to CS4 with the new CR and keep using Bridge

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 07:22:14 pm »

I knew exactly what I was doing .. over the years I have had no need for backward compatibility and did not want the extra files size overhead .. and all subsequent versions of PS have been able to open the files thus no compatibility problems.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225320\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just know that going forward, the chances are increasing that the lack of a composite preview is going to cause some issues...yes, so far, Photoshop and Bridge can use the non-compatible files (although it takes Bridge a _LOT_ longer to rip the previews for a layered file with no composite preview).

So, the longer you continue this practice and the longer you go forward without fixing it for legacy files, the worse the problem is going to be when you finally decide to do something about it. Personally, I switched to using layered tiffs a few years ago–and I'm now glad I did.

wils

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 10:01:39 pm »

Found that I can automate the transfer/conversion to tiff or redo .psd through "Image Processor" .. accessible in both Bridge and PS.

Selecting a group of .psd in Bridge and then Tools->Photoshop->Image Processor ..
     could work through all my folders .. eventually

Computer heat would keep the room warm through the winter.

I'll think on it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up