Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick Question: Canon 580EXII Flash  (Read 1058 times)

JessicaLuchesi

• http://www.jessicaluchesi.com
Quick Question: Canon 580EXII Flash
« on: September 27, 2008, 09:45:21 am »

Hi everyone,

I need a bit of help again. Canon's manual isn't much useful on that regard. As you may have seen from the other thread, I just got my hands on the Speedlight 580EX II flash from Canon, and I'm loving it. Attached to the camera, it's impressive. It should really help suffice for the lack of a faster lens for a (few first) wedding and event gigs.

But here's the thing, I'm also a food photographer, and also do portrait and fashion, and I hoped to have the 580 as a secondary portable "studio" head. Meaning, I'll place it on a studio stand, with umbrellas or not, and use it as another light source. I already use my "small" ( 140W in power, but twice the size of the 580EX ) battery-op Frata unit ( a Metz look alike, but without as many resources ) as a portable studio light source I can bring into restaurants and so on, without needing to hault meters and meters of power cables. I want to use the Speedlight as a complement to that ( possibly as the main light, and using the Frata as the fill/secondary light ).

Anyway, the Frata doesn't carry any photo cell that would allow it to be triggered by another flash being fired, like my studio strobes do. Using that method, I can get away with only one radio flash receiver unit. I was once told that the Canon 580EX could serve as a slave ALSO being triggered by a Non-Speedlight flash, working with a cell that's already built in. But operating the flash, I can't seem to do that, SLAVE mode seems to be pretty much only for working with other speedlight OP flashes.

I'd like to hear if that rumor I heard is real, or if no, since if no, I will need another Speedlight flash to work with this one, as Master/Slave ( or a second radio receiver, or an external cell trigger ), something I didn't want to spend money in right now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up